Search results

1. G

What's on my purple tort?

I've noticed lately that during feeding, my purple tort becomes covered with white stringy things. I'm fairly new to sps and the entire hobby, but I know these aren't the polyps. Any idea what they are?
  2. G

Possible red bugs???

blue eyes, I was unable to get Interceptor from any of the 5 vets I went to, nor was I successful at ordering online. :mad: I did finally get some pills from two local reefers in CA.:yehoo: I did my first treatment last night, followed by a 20% wc and running carbon. No sign of red bugs...
  3. G

Possible red bugs???

I'm glad to hear it worked for you! I just discovered red bugs in my tank last week:tears: , so I have also been doing some research on using Interceptor. I have read some threads where it was used as a dip (coral was left in for 6hrs.), and also reefers pulling out all their acros and using...
  4. G

RBTA in a mixed reef?

Was your anemone damaged at all from the frogspawn, hammer, and torch? I also have a hammer and torch and my tank is much smaller than yours. I guess I could always move a lot of my sps since they aren't glued down, but I don't know if that would do any good. How will it do around xenia? I...
  5. G

RBTA in a mixed reef?

I've seen a lot of Rose Anemones for sale lately. I've always wanted to have one in my tank and now that I've been in the hobby for a little past a year and my water parameters are stable, I'm thinking of adding one. My dilemma is I'm concerned about it moving around in the tank and stinging...
  6. G

Lighting upgrade

I am currently using parabolic individual reflectors and the TEK 5 fixture also has individual reflectors.
  7. G

Lighting upgrade

Currently I have a 4x54w T5 retrofit kit running on an Icecap 660. I believe they are being overdriven to about 80w per bulb, so I am getting a total of 320w. I was thinking about buying a TEK T4 8x54 bulb fixture. I just wasn't sure if this was considered an upgrade in my lighting...
  8. G

Aqua C ev120 a good buy?

Why would they consume more energy than other types of skimmers? Is it the pump?
  9. G

Aqua C ev120 a good buy?

Been in the hobby for a year now and I've never been happy with the Coralife skimmer that came with my setup. I have the chance to buy an Aqua C EV120 with pump for $150. Is this a good deal? I see them new for around $300. I am very limited on space in my sump and I don't have room under...
  10. G

Feeding Question

I'm heading out of town for a week and my mother in law will be feeding the tank for me. I want to make it as simple for her as I can, so I wanted to know if it is okay to take some frozen food and leave it thawed in the refrigerator. I would like to have each day in a separate cup so that...
  11. G

Red Mandarin???

Males have a big dorsal fin, females don't
  12. G

Red Mandarin???

But what about a male and female? That's what I meant.
  13. G

Red Mandarin???

WOW! That is a beautiful fish. So is it safe to put two different colors of the psychedelic in one tank, because it would be different than a Green Target and a Psychedelic right?
  14. G

Red Mandarin???

I'm going to buy a Psychedelic Mandarin, but I'm still trying to figure out if there are Red Mandarins. I've read some articles and seen some images of the Psychedelic Mandarins where the bodies are red not blue. Is this just a color variant or is there actually a Red Psychedelic Mandarin?
  15. G

Skimmer question

Awhile back I made a sump/refugium from a 30g tank. The chamber that holds my current skimmer is 8.5"x12". I'm looking into buying a new skimmer, but I want to make sure it will fit. So here is my dumb question. If the footprint of the skimmer is 9"x9" is there any way it will fit or be modified...
  16. G

Using a Chiller

No, I'm not running MH's, but 4 T5's. I live in Carlsbad and am only about 5 miles from the coast, so I'm not sure why my temp. is so high. Now I am thinking I should buy it for security.
  17. G

Using a Chiller

Thanks for all your input. The chiller is going for $150, so that is why I was tempted.
  18. G

Using a Chiller

I might get a double post as I'm having computer problems. I think I'll try more fans under the canopy and maybe add one under the stand as well. Are you just using computer fans? Do you have your fans blowing air in or some in and some out?
  19. G

Using a Chiller

I live in San Diego, so it doesn't really get too hot compared to other parts of the country. However, we did have our hot days this summer and my tank was up at 86degrees. Other than the few days, my temp. is pretty constant around 82. I am currently running one fan under than canopy, but...
  20. G

Using a Chiller

I've been in the hobby now for a year, but I'm totally clueless as to how chillers work. I can get a great deal on an Aqua Euro 1/10, but I noticed it is rated for 80gallons. I have a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump/refugium. Will this chiller work? If so, how exactly does this work...