Search results

1. bcarleton

Who's eating my zoas?

OK, I have had about $150 worth zoas gone thru in about 2 weeks. They are not melting away or dying off. this morning for example, had about 10 polyps on a plug that were open and happy. Get home from work tonight and there is just some loose tissue still stuck in the epoxy. Had a 4" rock...
  2. bcarleton

Fish eating only red or green zoas....

Is there something especially tasty about bright red of bright green zoas? I never had a problem with fish eating any of my corals until one day I broght home $60 worth of Keds Reds. About 2 days later like 4 or 5 polyps were gone. Then by day 5 the rock was picked clean. Then my Fire and...
  3. bcarleton

LED build...how many LED's for 75gal tank

I am still torn between modifying my current MH set up or go with LED. One question that is still holding me up is how many LED's will be needed to cover the tank properly. What are most people running on a 75 gal, 36 or 48 or what? I was looking at 36, all 3W Cree's. Something like a...
  4. bcarleton

Vertex vs. CoralVue MH ballast questions....

I am starting to see the limitations of what was a too good to pass up deal. I got a crazy deal on 2-400W IceCap ballasts a bit over a yr ago. Been happy with how the equipment has functioned, but my tank inhabitants are not thrilled. On a 75 gal tank it is just proving to be way too much...
  5. bcarleton

Sexing Citron Gobies

I picked up a pair of Citron Gobies up recently and am trying to find more detailed info on physiological characteristics of these little guys. I have read that they can swap sexes in captivity when 2 of the same sex are present. Does anyone know how to visually tell between sexes or have a...
  6. bcarleton

rapid led heatsink question....

looking at the 48 wide diy from rapidLED. question is about mounting the leds to the heatsink. can you mount the led's on one of the side fins instead of the bottom of the heatsink? This now having the fins horizontal which would make mounting easier and place the fins in good air movement...
  7. bcarleton

4yr old mandarin starting to lose weight....

I've had my female mandarin for around 3.5 to 4 yrs now. Shes been doing real good up til recently. Quick specs on set-up: 75 gal, 100+ lbs of rock, smallish fuge with about 5gal section for cheato. Tank mates are Fox Lo, small BiColor Angel, sailfin blenny, Yellow Flanked Wrasse. The wrasse...
  8. bcarleton

My first Hitch Hiker post, some kinda worm...

Moving my frogspawn to an area of less flow and this thing was burrowed under the base of the coral. Right now it is in a small container out of the tank. What is it? Put in DT, Fuge, or toilet?
  9. bcarleton

Not running a skimmer......

Ok, I think I might understand how things are working but out of curiosity would like to know more from those that know more than I. Things started a few weeks ago. I rarely ever have to use medications on my tank, but it figures that during a time when I do not have a QT ready, I see a small...
  10. bcarleton

8 48" T5 HO over 100 gal, enough?

Building a 5' long 100gal. I want to keep mostly palys, zoas, and some leathers. But I would also like to mix in some Monti Cap and Digitata. I am considering a fixture that has 8-48" T5 HO bulbs. It will be retrofit in a canopy, thickness of the fixture will place the bulbs about 7" above...
  11. bcarleton

Question: Installing Tsunami ATO AT-1

Instructions are very minimal with this unit. I installed it according to the steps listed but unit is not acting properly. To test the unit before actually hooking up a pump I attached an extension cord with an end that lights when hot. This way I can see when the system turns on and off...
  12. bcarleton

Cluless LFS part 2, pic of lucky grab

Here's the best shot I could get of my so called Red Parrot fish. I did find that some sites did list a Parrot Wrasse that looked similar. But lacked the blue at the base of the fins and had much less yellow on its sides. Either way, they were all going for in the area of $30-$40. Add...
  13. bcarleton

Clueless LFS works in my favor...

Got a 25 dollar gift cert, to a LFS for Christmas. Went today to check out the livestock. Had some nice livestock but not many things that would go well in my set up. I was using my phone internet to search liveaquaria for info on critters that i was not familiar with. I came across a very...
  14. bcarleton

Reef Dynamics Protein Skimmers?

Anyone familiar with the Reef Dynamics brand of skimmers? From what little I found online, it looks to be run by a guy that used to work for Euro Reef. I am pretty sure this is the brand that I found at a shop I found in Woodstock, GA. I should have asked while there but too late now. I'm...
  15. bcarleton

Creation Marine in Woodstock GA

Hey guys, found this shop in Woodstock, GA. I really like the place and plan on spending money there soon. Creation Marine and Fish on Hwy 92. Plans are to get a Reeflo Dart from from them and maybe a skimmer too. I am just not familiar with the brand of skimmer they carry. If I was smart I...
  16. bcarleton

Snail guard for Remora

Was cleaning my Remora today and had a surprise. As I was pouring the water out of the skimmer an empty snail shell fell out. So this thing I guess crawled up the exit of the skimmer then could not figure out how to get out and perished. I took the skimmer outside to blow it out with the...
  17. bcarleton

How long do Serpent Stars live?

Hey guys, I think I might have a serpent star dying. Been acting strange for bout 2 days. I first noticed yestreday that it had it's legs sticking straight out of the rocks. Figured was hungry so thawed out a piece of fish and fed him. He pulled in but then the lights went out shortly after...
  18. bcarleton

zoas touching toadstool?

Hey, I picked up a frag of about 15-16 watermelon zoas today for a great price. Got them home and aclimated them and all then started looking for a place to put them in the tank. The only place I could come up with to securely place them was right next to my toadstool leather. With the polyps...
  19. bcarleton

relocating my toadstool

Hey guys, I have a toadstool leather mounted on a rock with metallic GSP. The toad is not happy, as the GSP tries to spread it is climbing up the stalk of the toad. The GSP usually only gets a little way up and then releases. But this time the GSP has nearly encircled the base of the stalk...
  20. bcarleton

feeding polyps, just curious about?

I know that like with NON-photosynthetic corals you have to feed each mouth seprately. But what about with zoas and polyps? If you feed one head can it or will it share the nutrition with the other heads.