Search results

1. Rcpilot

How to cycle nano cube?

It will take 6--8 weeks for the shrimp to disappear completely. When there is nothing left but the shell, you can test for nitrates. My guess is you'll have about 20-40ppm of nitrates. Do a 50% water change. That will drop the nitrates down 50%. Do another water change in a week and then...
  2. Rcpilot

What is LFS

LHS = Local Hobby Shop for anyone else that flies RC planes, as I do.
  3. Rcpilot

Best Sump contents for eating NitrAtes

I don't buy the excuse about living in an apartment for not having a proper RO/DI unit. I live in a tiny apartment and I have a 6-stage RO-dual DI unit under my kitchen sink. Installing an RO unit is about as complicated as changing a flat tire. It's NOT permanent. You DON'T have to tap...
  4. Rcpilot

sumps and refugiums

Agreed. In fact, my CPR HOB refugium is the ONLY "filter" on my 30g tank. I have no canisters or powerfilters on my tank. No phosphate reactor or calcium reactor. No fancy chemical filtration chamber. Just a 5g refugium with a 6" DSB and a big hunk of cheato. It's full of all manner of...
  5. Rcpilot

muffler needed for ASM G4xx skimmer

DOH!!! :smack: I've NEVER done that............ :faces: BS! You know anyone who flies has done it at least once. :LOL:
  6. Rcpilot

muffler needed for ASM G4xx skimmer

You might try this muffler: O.S. Muffler E-4010 Blue 65LA
  7. Rcpilot

T5 light penetration

With the 6 x 39w unit, you can do anything you want except a clam or extremely light hungry SPS. I'm an LPS whore. I got a lot of them now. Some people would say my tank was too bright for acans and blastos. :nono: I say, "Come over and have a look." :hug1: You'd be surprised. I...
  8. Rcpilot

T5 light penetration

I have T5 lighting on my 30g tall. It's 24" deep. I am using 6 high output T5 bulbs @ 24w each. That's 144w on 30g. Works good. I do have a 5" DSB in the tank though, so the light really only has to go down about 18-19" I don't think you are looking at ENOUGH light though. 4 x 36 is only...
  9. Rcpilot

Can you make tap water safe?

If you can't afford an RO unit, then perhaps you should take a serious look at the costs associated with this hobby. $150 for the RO unit is just a tiny drop in the bucket compared to what you will end up investing in this hobby. It's NOT a cheap hobby. Not at all. Don't want to come off...
  10. Rcpilot

Best critter for clean sand?

My diamond watchman goby is a little earth mover. He's constantly moving large quantities of sand to and fro in the tank. I have a DSB in the tank, so I don't care what he does. He eventually moves it back next week anyway. Apparently, he don't remember that he moved that same pile last...
  11. Rcpilot

What do you do with your dirty water change water?

I only have a 30g tank and a 5g tank. 6g every Sunday, down the kitchen sink.
  12. Rcpilot

Wet/Dry question

I'd run that first baffle all the way to the bottom and seal it up. Then cut a slot up higher for the water to overflow into the return chamber that way. By doing this, you can actually have a DSB in the first chamber. You originally stated that you wanted to use a 3-4" DSB. Don't bother...
  13. Rcpilot

Raising Copepods in a HOB Refugium?

I dunno. I may or may not have isopods. I got 3 or 4 different kinds in there. I know for sure that I got copepods and amphipods.
  14. Rcpilot

Storing salt water mix

I mix up salt in an 8g black rubbermaid trashcan. One 60gph powerhead and a 25w heater. I change water on Sunday. I usually do about 5g in the 30g and 1--1.5g in the 5g nano. I mix that water up as soon as I'm finished doing a water change. The trashcan never gets completely empty...
  15. Rcpilot

Raising Copepods in a HOB Refugium?

I use a CPR HOB refugium with skimmer on my 30g reek. I'm using the large refugium, so it just BARELY fits on the back of my 24" wide tank. I mean BARELY. 5-6" DSB with 3 or 4 pounds of rubble and a big hunk of cheato. I have copepods, amphipods, isopods -- pods pods everywhere!! :woohoo...
  16. Rcpilot

whats the best salt to buy

I was using Oceanic. I also buy in buckets. Cheaper in the long run. The Oceanic was low in pH and Alkalinity. I figured out how much to dose it and just did that while it was in the mixing bucket. That way when I put it in the tank next week, it's all stabilized and same as the tank...
  17. Rcpilot

Buying RO/DI unit question!

I bought this and I'm EXTREMELY pleased with it. I had to order a pump for it. Total investment was about $225 The flush valve is an $8 option. Get it. http://filterdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29
  18. Rcpilot

The perfect flow for a mixed reef tank

I guess I don't get it.:hammerhea If the water level in the tank drops 3" while the surge tank is filling--whats gonna keep the water flowing over the top of the overflows and into my sump? Of course, they will start flowing again after the surge dumps and fills the tank. Seams to me that...
  19. Rcpilot

protein skimmer broken?

What BRAND of skimmer? Where did ya get it? Got a link to it? Whats the pump model #? More info gets you more accurate answers. ;)
  20. Rcpilot

How often should I change my water and?

My diamond watchman goby slowly stirs my sand bed continuously. He might be releasing gases from the DSB, but it's such small amount that it doesn't harm the tank. Small amounts over slow time is better way to release those DSB gases, instead of a mass vacuum once every 6 months.