Search results

1. R

HELP! Have a sad Elegance

Well, I read all the articles I could find and I'll just hope it improves. It is now in a fairly well shaded area with low-moderate flow. I'm going to step up my calcium dosing a bit in hopes that it might also help.
  2. R

Here's the latest on him. Pretty well tucked in. This is normal after a feeding, but he's just not coming out anymore. It's been a little worse each day for the last 5 days.
  3. R

I've had my elegance for about 6 weeks. He seemed pretty happy at first, but is clearly not happy now. I've tried repositioning him to adjust flow and light, but I can't seem to get a good combo. Everyone else (Buttons, Hammers, Torches, etc.) seems very happy, so I don't think I've got a water...
  4. R

First SW Tank

Thanks. I think the readings may just be a faulty test kit. I've never had it read 0. I'll get a different test soon and compare the two.
  5. R

First SW Tank

Things are going well. I've got a good CUC and have added a few fish and corals. I was able to upgrade my lights. Its too early to tell how that will effect the life, but I expect positive results. It definitely looks better now. Stats have been pretty level. My KH is down a bit, but I have just...
  6. R

Opinions on Kessil A360WE Lights

Thank you all for the feedback. It seems like the 360s would be my best option for coverage since I can add. I'd love to have the built in features of the 700, but I guess I can't have everything.
  7. R

So, looking at the pricing, its really not very different between the two A360WEs and an AP700. I think my biggest concern now is if either of these choices is going to get the coverage wide enough for the full 48" width of my tank. Has anyone tried either 2 A360WEs or one AP700 on a 48" that...
  8. R

I've got the opportunity to upgrade my reef tank lighting (cheapo LEDs) with 2 A360WEs. I know most high end lighting is good, but I was wondering if anyone has used or has opinions on the Kessil brand. Lights aren't cheap and I can't afford to make the wrong choice. My tank is an Innovative...
  9. R

First SW Tank

The tank is cycling well. Current residents are Maroon Clown, Sleeper Blue Dot Goby, and Starry Blenny. I've also got four varieties of snail, 7 dwarf hermits, two cleaner shrimp, and two emerald crabs. One possible issue is that I no longer see any of my Tongan Nassarius snails. They do not...
  10. R

First SW Tank

Thanks again for all the advice. I'm planning on an RO/DI. Still just buying distilled water for now, but should have one within a month. Next up will be an ATO. The light is a Green Element EVO Quad 48". It's not an expensive light. I'll use it for now and hope it lasts for a year or two...
  11. R

First SW Tank

12/2/2015 Evening Update: Some signs of algae on the rock tonight. I am going to cut the lights off again. Clearly I need to allow more time to grow anaerobic bacteria. SG 1.022 PH 8.2 KH 8 NO2 0 NO3 10 Ammonia 0 Temp 77.2/25.3
  12. R

First SW Tank

11/29/2015 Began lighting the tank today. 12 hours of blues, 8 hours of full intensity white and blue. I'll be watching for algae. SG 1.022 PH 8.2 KH 8.5 NO2 0.05 NO3 13 Ammonia 0.05 Temp 76.4/24.5 12/2/2015 I noticed that there are a few very small snails and some Amphipoda in the tank. They...
  13. R

First SW Tank

11/20/2015 Added 20 lbs of live rock. This was mostly smaller more decorative pieces. 11/22/2015 Completing 5 gallon water change after taking measurements tonight. Looks like the last of the rock had a bit too much die off. SG 1.022 PH 8 KH 9.5 NO2 0.1 NO3 25 Ammonia 0.1 Temp 76.5/24.5...
  14. R

First SW Tank

11/9/2015 Filled tank with approx 20 gallons of water from lfs, 81 lbs of live rock, 10 lbs of live sand, and 30 lbs of dry sand. Added small refugium with Chaeto. No light on tank, but there is an LED on the algae. 11/12/2015 Added 6 dwarf hermits and 3 Tongan Nassarius snails. Began feeding...
  15. R

First SW Tank

Thanks Dave. I don't plan to rush anything. I was hoping that there would be some good anaerobic bacteria already living in that rock. If I have to slow things down to give it time to grow I will. I did start up with the tap water. I dosed with AmQuel Plus, so hopefully this will at least get me...
  16. R

First SW Tank

I'll give that a try. It is already on the side and aimed at the center of the front glass. Was trying to bank the flow off the front.
  17. R

First SW Tank

Started up the tank last night. I ended up using 82 lbs of live rock, 10 lbs of Nature's Ocean sand and 30 lbs of dry aragonite sand. I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting my wave maker (Jebao RW-8). I've got it turned all the way down and pointed at the center of the front glass on the tank...
  18. R

First SW Tank

Hello all. I'm new to SW and wanted to express my appreciation for all the knowledge shared in the forums. I've had several FW tanks over the years, but always wanted a SW reef tank. My lfs had a huge sale last month and made me a deal I couldn't refuse. I traded in my 60g FW and picked up an...