Search results

1. S

Treating marine Ich in main tank

A great summary of the topic, thank you. Here are my two cents: Since the application of a vaccine is not possible at this point, management of the infection could potentially lead to self immunization. This model has been shown to work with some types of venom, weaken pathogens, and most well...
  2. S

Dracko - to the best of my knowledge, it is unknown if there are different strains of Ich, though it is suspected to be the case. The genome of the parasite (Cryptocaryon irritans) has not yet been sequenced, and (unless I missed something) the only genetic material available is from a 2010...
  3. S

Fair enough DaveK. Managing is a pain, as outbreak may come back. I simply argue that removing fish from a reef tank is also a pain... Many hobbyist still lose fish in a hospital tank -- they are probably not experienced enough, granted -- but it just means that they go through the pains of...
  4. S

I very much agree with the sentiment that one should know who is 'giving' the advice. My name is Yoav Gilad. I am a professor of Human Genetics at the University of Chicago (http://giladlab.uchicago.edu) -- my research has nothing to do with fish :-) I do have quite a lot of experience in this...
  5. S

Let's talk about marine Ich for a moment. Most (uninformed - ) hobbyists who believe that their marine fish have Ich ask about a way to treat it in the main tank. Most of the answers they receive is that the best and most effective way (some would say 'the only way') to get rid of Ich is to...