Search results

1. C

Probable starfish ID please

Thanks guys, looks like a got a good freebie from the LFS! I will look after him - do I need to feed him some food of some sort? Col
  2. C

Probable starfish ID please

I bought a small piece of live rock from the LFS last week from one of their display tanks at the same time as I got my new Goby / shrimp pair - the idea was for them to use it as a burrow - of course they had other ideas! Anyway, I then noticed we had a HH. At first I thought it was another...
  3. C

Col's RSM C-130

OK so time has moved on a little since my last post, tank now has the following: - 2 x ocellaris anemonefish - 1 x royal gramma - 1 x yellow watchman goby - 1 x pistol shrimp - 2 x red hermit - 5 x turbo snails - 2 x babylonian whelk (to be removed) - at least 2 x bristleworm -...
  4. C

Red hermit looks sad

Update is that as suspected by you all, they had both molted, not sure how often they will do this but in the first 3 weeks they had both changed shells and molted. They were just doing their hiding bit after molting and they are now back to running round the tank eating the algae like it was...
  5. C

Col's RSM C-130

Hi, yes I just got two of the Babylonia Whelks, they both buried themselves in the sand straight away, its the mottled brown / white shell. I need to get a turkey baster - I have seen lots of uses for it across various threads so far! Gonna order one now. Col
  6. C

Col's RSM C-130

Interesting re the snail, the LFS didnt mention that it was predatory, googling around I see there is mixed opinion on these - clams seem to be at risk (I dont have any) but I'm wondering whether I should take them back - not happy that the LFS didnt mention they had some risks attached. Re...
  7. C

Col's RSM C-130

Ok so the two clowns I added are getting on well, both hermits have molted (scared me for a bit!) and I got a royal gramma today and a couple of snails that bury themselves... so... Here is a shot of the clowns and royal gramma swimming in formation: [/URL][/IMG] Here is the one of the...
  8. C

Red hermit looks sad

Thanks for the advice, we were worried because these are the first crabs we ever had and they were pretty active for the first week roaming around the tank but then they have just sat in one place for 3-4 days now. Given thay have both switched shells since we had them and they sit around...
  9. C

Red hermit looks sad

Hi, when you say just "shed", I am aware they change their shells but are you saying that they shed the outside of their bodies also? We are keeping a close eye on him anyway - we also noticed that the other one is still alive but not moving also - we thought he was dead because we noticed one...
  10. C

Red hermit looks sad

Hi I had my clean up crew in a new tank from 4 weeks and its now 2 weeks later and one hermit is dead and the other one hasnt moved in 2-3 days - he is still alive because he has extended / retracted his claws and his "jaws" are moving but he has just been sitting in a little shelf. I guess...
  11. C

Col's RSM C-130

OK so things have moved on a little in the tank. Latest readings: Salinity 1.027 - this has crept up - not sure why but planning on doing the first water change today so that will take it down to 1.025/6 pH 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 10 (dropped from 40 over the last few weeks)...
  12. C

Col's RSM C-130

Ok so update: - Its day 34 of my tank - My readings are very boring (thats good right?!), since day 24 they have been Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 40, ph 8.2/8.3, SG 1.025/6 - The water seems to be getting cloudier, not sure if its tiny bubbles or fine "stuff" floating around - is this...
  13. C

Memlys C-130 RSM

Our bristleworm scared the life out of me when I first saw it moving inside our new live rock but I've decided to leave him in as a cuc member, I reckon the advice re "if he can hide he is probably not too big" is good, thats what I'm going to do. Ours is about 10cm I reckon though it depends...
  14. C

Col's RSM C-130

I have a better picture of the bristleworm (hopefully) and I checked up the two species you mentioned in my "Marine Invertebrates" book, as you say, one is beneficial and the other not! I also got some clean up crew at the weekend, two hermits, one emerald crab and two turbos... they are...
  15. C

Col's RSM C-130

So here is the first (visible) inhabitant of the tank, we captured him today as he ventured out, can someone confirm it is a (good) bristleworm and not something that will ravage the tank... :) [/URL][/IMG] Rest of the CUC will be added at the weekend! Col
  16. C

Memlys C-130 RSM

That sounds like good advice, I found that when I knew nothing the Xch guys seemed knowledgeable but now that I know a little more, most of them can't answer my questions. I did pop up to Wimborne once before I got my tank so will head back there next time. FYI Southampton seems better too -...
  17. C

Col's RSM C-130

Thanks guys, the LR layout was kinda nagging at me and its going to be there for some time so better to get it right! Now just hope the levels stay sensible and I can get a cuc in there pretty soon! Col
  18. C

Col's RSM C-130

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a plan! I invested in a little more live rock today, so thats around 18kg in total now (or 40lbs) in 130 litres (34 gal) which sounds better! The tank looks a little different now though I've basically joined up the small island on the left with a bridging...
  19. C

Col's RSM C-130

Thats a good point - thats about 13kg in 130 litres, two of the bits are pretty dense though which I think isnt optimal. The live sand is pretty deep also. Does anyone else think I need more because now is the time to change it! And thanks for the advice on water change - I think I will...
  20. C

Col's RSM C-130

So I was just at the lfs and asking about the end of the cycle, told them my ammonia and nitrites were zero and nitrates at 40+ and how should I go about doing a water change to get it down to 20 max before introducing the cuc. He said I didnt need to do a water change until 3 weeks after I...