Search results

1. M

Help

This algae is all over my rocks. I can barely pull any of it off, nothing seems to scrub it off, and so far nothing will eat it, at least not enough to make a dent. Tank is 15 gallons with 1 leaf fish, snails (cerith, nerite, nassarius, trochus), 1 emerald crab, some corals, about 9-10 pounds...
  2. M

8" cube maxi mini tank?

I eventually want to set up a bigger tank for a real carpet anemone but that is out of my price range for now. We have a maxi mini at work and I've been reading up on them, they are ray to care for, Hardy and pretty. So I am thinking of setting up an 8 inch cube on my desk for it and some sexy...
  3. M

light question

I have a 15 gallon tank (24"L X 13"W X 12"H) with a 4X24watt T5 fixture on it. Right now its set up that 2 bulbs are 10K and 2 are actinic. Would it be ok to change it to 3 actinic bulbs and 1 10K? Or is there another way to get a little more bluer color? The corals I have so far are...
  4. M

Best salt to use?

What are your opinions on the best salt to use for a reef tank? The tank is 15 gallons, so far has a single head hammer coral, polyps, zoas and a kenya tree. Going to add more corals as funds allow. I do a water change every 4 days (3 gallons). I set the tank up using instant ocean reef...
  5. M

Minimums size nem tank?

I was thinking of starting another tank, with the purpose of having a sole anemone and a pair of clowns. I realize the tank would have to run for a long time before I added the nem. What size tank would be ideal for a clown hosting anemone? Also, how do you keep them safe from heaters and...
  6. M

Nano canister?

To add to my wish list (lol) I want a small canister filter for my 15 gallon. It would be awhile before I got it, want to get other things first, but I would like to decreased the amount of splashing at the surface (caused by the water coming back from the HOB). And I just like canister...
  7. M

Rose Tip shrinking

At work there is a rose tip anemone. The poor thing has been getting smaller and smaller. Its in a 15 gallon tank underneath a 48" (goes over 2 tanks) 4X54 watt light (2 actinic, 2 10K). The tank has an air stone in it and a sponge filter (also run by air). The water is 78*F. It gets a 5...
  8. M

test kits?

At work we just use the API test kit, that is where I will be testing my water at least until pay day. When I do buy my own test kit, is API reliable enough? I just need to know when there are ammonia and nitrites present and an approx level of nitrates so I know when to do water changes (and...
  9. M

Melissa's 15 gallon Leaf Fish Tank

On 4/14/14 I set up a 15 gallon (24"lX13"wX12"h), fish will be 1 Leaf fish (Taenianotus triacanthus). Added 20 pounds of fine live sand, Reef crystals salt, tap water. Filters are an aquaclear 20 with a foam block and chemipure pouch, and a penguin mini with a biowheel and phoszorb. In the...
  10. M

Hello From Rochester, NY

Hello, my name is Melissa, I live in Rochester, NY. I just set up a 15 gallon nano (24"longX13"wideX12"tall) and am going to get a leaf fish (Taenianotus triacanthus). I work at an LFS, and have worked on and off at fish stores since I was 14 (am now 28). I've had numerous fresh water tanks...