Search results

1. C

Silly Question--Heater Suction Cups

Thanks for the pointers, guys. What other methods besides suction cups can I use? C.
  2. C

Silly Question--Heater Suction Cups

I have an Aquatop heater in my 40 breeder, and I can't get the sensor suction cup to hold for more than one day. Any tips/tricks on how I can get the suction cup to stay in place for more than one day (short of using super glue)? Thanks! C.
  3. C

Starting Over--Brown Growth on New Sand

Thank you, Frisbee. That's what it appears to be. I have a clean-up crew arriving in the mail tomorrow, so I guess that will help. I'm guessing it will take a while for the snails to do their job. After a year of fighting hair algae and high phosphates, I guess it's only fitting that SOMETHING...
  4. C

Starting Over--Brown Growth on New Sand

Hi Folks! After finally getting control of my algae problem after one year (my LFS was selling RO water with 0.34 phosphates!), I decided to start over. Scrubbed my old rock, put new sand in my 40 breeder, added some new rock, and now have water with 0.00 phosphates. Am thinking of adding...
  5. C

STILL Low Mg....

Mg up to 1300 using triple doses of the Kent liquid. C.
  6. C

Please Help a Numerically Challenged Soul....

I used my Hanna for the first time yesterday. Very easy to use and apparently very accurate. Alk was at dKH 9.24, by the way. C.
  7. C

What's With My Mag-Float?

Great ideas! C.
  8. C

Thanks for the comments, guys. I have indeed rinsed it off and am letting it dry. Will also spray water on front and sides of tank. Perhaps I'll try one of those Piranha floats one day, too.... C.
  9. C

Salt Dilemma?

THanks! Right now I'm not sure what to do! LOL C.
  10. C

So for the last three or so days when I go to use my Mag-Float to clean my glass, the half on the outside of the tank is leaving all sorts of smudges that look like smeared finger-prints. I have cleaned the Mag-Float, left it wet, dried it off and tried it, and I still get the same result--all...
  11. C

STILL Low Mg....

I will use up the Kent using double or triple doses, and then start using the Red Sea powder that arrived Thursday. I'll use a 1-gallon jug, too. How much Red Sea Mg powder to you add to make a gallon of Mg? C.
  12. C

Yep, I have one on the way. That cell phone calc is a handy tool. It almost makes me feel like a chemist/biochemist/marine biologist. I said ALMOST.... LOL C.
  13. C

shrimp keeps going into over flow

I'd say have a shrimp boil but there's not enough meat on one shrimp for a meal! C.
  14. C

Pachyseris with algae

I had a small bit of algae on my candy cane, and I pulled it off and it stayed off. I also had a strand of algae on my stylo frag--again, I picked it off and now it's gone for good. Both corals are healthy and growing (they seem to love my Maxspect Razor light and my Jebao wave maker). C.
  15. C

Salt Dilemma?

Thanks, Nano! C.
  16. C

Salt Dilemma?

Decisions, decisions. Thanks, Choff. C. PS Should I keep doing small waters changes? Two gallons per day? But won't that salt STILL give me an alk above 12?
  17. C

Salt Dilemma?

I don't have the exact numbers as they appear on the bucket in front of me at the moment, but it appears that the Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix might cause an issue in my 40 breeder. I have figured out the proper amount of salt per gallon to mix in order to get a SG of 1.026, but according to what...
  18. C

Looks like I can also take the reading from the meter and then multiply it by 0.056 to get the dKH. Thanks again! C.
  19. C

Best Way To Lower High dkH...

I will check the dkH of my freshly mixed salt water after I mix it for my next water change. Yes, I will go the "let it lower on its own" route for the most part. C.