Search results

1. E

Fighting ich with kick-ich / garlic & vitamin c

I've read the above threads, all very good. Hopefully I didn't miss what I'm about to ask. Does anyone have any answer on the following two questions? 1). The Hyposalinity treatment says to lower the salinity to the proper level in 36-48 hours. That's great, but not specific enough for my taste...
  2. E

RTN questions

Hmm, well that information is interesting Mike. Thank you all for the input. All the corals I have lost have been Acroporas, which I is a new "level" of more sensitive coral that I have just started trying to keep, along with some montiporas (which are all doing fine). I think this is mostly a...
  3. E

RTN questions

OK, sorry if these questions have been answered in another thread, but I haven't found anything that specifically addresses them so far. I have a number (3)of acropora frags that have died, 2 of which I suspect could be RTN, and a fourth that is not looking so good, and I would like a little...
  4. E

Need an ID for a buglike creature seen next to my corals

Nice link Diana, thanks so much. Didn't see it on that list but it will definitely be used in the future. And understood about needing a pic. I figured it was a long shot, without. I will probably sit in front of my tank for hours this weekend trying to find it again.
  5. E

Need an ID for a buglike creature seen next to my corals

Ok, I have most of my corals on a frag rack right now, and last night I saw a little bug crawling around on the rack next to some of them. I know a pic would be ideal, and I will see if I can get one, but, I didn't have the presence of mind to take one at the time. It was about 1/8 of an inch...
  6. E

Anyone have experience with Culligan RO water

Good points, and it's good to hear some practical examples. I like to plan ahead for the inevitable tank size upgrade, so that was my initial reasoning for a larger unit, but even so, I will probably not ever go above a 175 gallon tank, although I might some time have large multiple tanks. So do...
  7. E

I like the BRS 75gpd 5 stage, but I keep eying their 300gpd 5 stage Spartan. It would be nice not to have to wait very long for the H20. I like to mix up my saltwater in 15 gallon batches. I think for now I will just deal with buying a ton of the distilled water gallon jugs at the local grocery...
  8. E

Need some info on upgrading MH ballast

Oh wow, that is not a bad price at all. Glad I saved my original Biocube canopy after upgrading to the MH fixture
  9. E

Thank you sir, I was eying that one actually. Do you know if they are fairly easy to upgrade, say if I wanted to get a second membrane stage at some point to bump the output up to 150 GPD? In looking at the BRS website and it seems like they are.
  10. E

I actually agree with you guys; a RO/DI unit is just what I am working towards but I was concerned about cost. My usual instinct is to get the best equipment that I can afford and so for this particular issue I was going to figure out a short term solution that would cost as little as possible...
  11. E

Thanks Willie, I appreciate the advice. I am definitely interested in the LED idea, and have been for some time, but I kept hearing so many opposing positions on them I decided to stay away for a bit longer and I do like the way the MHs look. But I am a practical sort of person and the health of...
  12. E

Well the alkalinity didn't spike quickly per se, but I just found that it was too high (that's a whole other story), and I noticed the colors changing prior to that incident anyway. It's too bad about the lighting system I have, but, the bulb is out of the picture since I switched to the...
  13. E

Oh, and that fixture keeps the light about 3 inches from the water surface.
  14. E

I recently purchased a new MH fixture ( http://www.aquatraders.com/18-inch-Metal-Halide-System-p/54242.htm ) from a guy at work, to upgrade from the PC lights on my Biocube 29 gallon. I got all excited, thinking that now I could keep most anything and went out and got some acroporas, but now I...
  15. E

So I have been using the RO/DI water from the vending machines; have been for years without issues, but have recently heard here that they are notorious for being bad. Got a TDS meter and the machine water I tested wasn't horrible Can't remember the exact value though, maybe 30 or 40? In any...
  16. E

New memeber intro. Need a bit of advice too.

Ok, I am not sure how to proceed here: I had reduced the dosage amount and as of last night the alkalinity was around 9.9, but the pH is still spiking to over 9 (9.1 to be exact) with lights on every day. In fact it is going a few points higher than when I was still dosing the full amount...
  17. E

I was chasing alk rather than pH (I let the alk get higher than I intended to due to lack of testing on my part; the dosing pump was clearly set too high and I thought the alkalinity had leveled off a few weeks prior). But I didn't realize the alkalinity shouldn't be quite that high anyway, and...
  18. E

Dang, I was afraid someone was going to say that. I ordered a TDS meter earlier today and am going to look into a way to buy bulk distilled water in case that is needed. Btw, thanks for the advice and the welcomes, everyone.
  19. E

I use the RODI water from the vending machines you see in the grocery store foyers, since my tank is small and a RODI unit is out of my budget for the time being. I think somewhere along the line I got the idea that 11-12 dKh is an acceptable number, but obviously 8.9 pH is not, which is why...
  20. E

Right, well, mainly I set up the dosing pumps because, while I stopped dosing stuff for a little while there, I was still doing regular water changes that whole time and the alk fell to 6. By regular water changes I mean 1 gallon daily. I function better if I set up a routine. If I do larger...