Anyone have experience with Culligan RO water

Exterminaans

So I have been using the RO/DI water from the vending machines; have been for years without issues, but have recently heard here that they are notorious for being bad. Got a TDS meter and the machine water I tested wasn't horrible Can't remember the exact value though, maybe 30 or 40? In any case since there is no guarantee that is consistent, I want to switch to something else.
I'm moving soon and so I don't want to get involved in installation of my own RO/DI unit, and use around 30-40 gallons a month so buying distilled water at the store would be a PITA. Looking for a short term solution. My local Culligan store has RO water I can pick up without getting involved in a contract, and the guy told me "lots of his customers use it for reefs". Assuming that the prices are not stupidly inflated, has anyone else used this? He didn't mention it being DI water as well as RO water so I can't assume that until I talk to them again. Thoughts?

Mike Johnson

I'd do the same thing you just did. I'd go to the store with a TDS meter in hand. My RO water before DI is normally 2 - 4 ppm. I use a BRS 5 stage RO/DI. Of course it comes out of the DI at 0.

DaveK

Your best long term solution is to get your own RO/DI unit and use that. Yes, I know that not what you want to hear, but it's the only good solution. At a rate of 30 - 40 gal a month, your need about 360 - 400 gal per year, and that will quickly pay for your own RO/DI unit, and you'll get better quality water.

You should be able to hook it up easily, and take it with you when you move. You should be able to find a connector that lets you hook it up directly to your tap. You need not mount the actual unit to the wall. It will work fine on the counter any place else.

Lipman

I agree with above, I was going out and getting water every week.
If you add up the price/time to drive/gas it just made more scene to get my own RO/DI system. This also allows me to know my water is 100% clean because i made it and i tested it along the way.

The unit will pay for itself in no time!

I have the 5 Stage RO/Di Plus 75GPD unit from BRS

Exterminaans

I actually agree with you guys; a RO/DI unit is just what I am working towards but I was concerned about cost. My usual instinct is to get the best equipment that I can afford and so for this particular issue I was going to figure out a short term solution that would cost as little as possible, and then I had been thinking about one of the higher end Spectrapure systems 3-4 months down the road, but, is it really worth the extra money, do you think? And what is the point of all the 5-6 plus stage units if the 3-4 stage ones produce 0 TDS water?

Exterminaans

Thank you sir, I was eying that one actually. Do you know if they are fairly easy to upgrade, say if I wanted to get a second membrane stage at some point to bump the output up to 150 GPD? In looking at the BRS website and it seems like they are.

Lipman

Not 100% sure, but im going to say yes.
All the ends are quick connect so I can only imagine you could add more to it in the future.
If you want to make more GPD I believe its a pump that gets hooked up to the system so I would assume you could add that in the future too.

You can always email / Call BRS, or use their online chat ( I actually find them to be online all the time during the week).

Good luck!!

Choff

You always add on. Heck a 3 stage RO without DI will get you in the 2-10 tds range. Later on add a 2nd carbon block and a DI.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Choff is spot on! As long as you maintain the proper pressure, you can add away!

reefer gladness

+2 for th RO/DI unit. Don't worry about long term installation, there are connectors for the kitchen sink or just connect it to the garden hose outlet.

30-40 TDS is pretty high actually and drinking water goes through a different filtration process. There are also different types of RO membranes, the type for drinking water let more minerals and stuff through because it tastes better. The drinking water machines usually have a post-filtration process where they add more minerals for taste too.

Here is the one I have: http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1EXTREMETYPHOONIII/EXTREME-TYPHOON-III-150-GPD-RODI-with-Gauge-TDS-Alarm-Dual-TDS-Meter.html

Exterminaans

I like the BRS 75gpd 5 stage, but I keep eying their 300gpd 5 stage Spartan. It would be nice not to have to wait very long for the H20. I like to mix up my saltwater in 15 gallon batches. I think for now I will just deal with buying a ton of the distilled water gallon jugs at the local grocery store. As much of a pain as that is, it's really not THAT expensive and I need the short term money. That and right now I only have a bathroom sink; the kitchen is public domain in my household and would cause too much of a stir up with and over-controlling relative. I was was looking at my bathroom faucet last night and I don't think I can install one of those diverters on it.

Mike Johnson

I have about 360 gallons in total water volume with my tanks and I never have to wait for water with a 75 gpd RO/DI. I change out 10% a week or more plus about 6 gallons a day top off. That totals out to about 80 gallons a week use. Why would you want a bigger unit?

I went back I read that you use 30 - 40 gallons a month.

Yeah, I know, we already figured out the utility bill for my tanks is 100.00 a month.

Choff

What's 15G of distilled water run you? Close to 15 bucks? Brs 4 stage rodi is $129. It will pay for itself in 2 months!

And I'll second Mikes point that 75G/Day will not be a problem for you. I'm 300g twv and do 45G weekly WC + use another 25g in top off.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Exterminaans

Good points, and it's good to hear some practical examples. I like to plan ahead for the inevitable tank size upgrade, so that was my initial reasoning for a larger unit, but even so, I will probably not ever go above a 175 gallon tank, although I might some time have large multiple tanks. So do you guys have reservoirs that you have auto topping with the RO/DI water as you use it for changes and such or do you make it when you need it? The former would seem to me to be the only way to go if you don't want to wait with a 75 GPD.

DaveK

You really don't need to over buy an RO/DI unit. Something that makes 75 - 100 gpd will more than handle all but the largest tanks. Coupled with a float valve shut off and a large container, you can have an almost constant supply of water.