Search results

1. T

Zoa´s & Blasto´s problems

Hey guys I was just wondering if somebody can advice and help me. My zoos are disappearing and closing up. Some of the zoas are closing while others are still open. I have started adding iodine on a daily basis but nothing is happening just yet. I could really use some help from you the...
  2. T

bubble coral not opening?????

Hello Guys Please, can anyone help???? I had a neon green bubble coral for the last two months. He has not opened fully at all regardless of anything I had done. I had change the current, the lighting, I had placed the bubble coral in low ligh and bright light, with strong flow and low flow. I...
  3. T

Wave makers.....anyone??????????

Hey Guys So, I got me a new 125g acrylic tank and I am in need of advice. What kind of wave maker should I get to creat a nice movement and water flow in the tank. Should I get a 1600 GPH or a 3200 GPH and what kind or brand do you recommend? I will really appreciate your help and advice...
  4. T

Maintnance and good husebandry practices????

Hello Guys I am writing to all of you, aquarist experts, because I am simply about to quit. From 2004 to 2009 I had in my house a 100g reef tank with a DIY turf algae scrubber filter and a light system combo of 15k metal halides and atnic blue lights. To be honest, I changed water every 2 or...
  5. T

My New LED light system

Hey Guys So I finally saved enough to get me a pair of LED fixtures for my reef tank :ofr: Now, I need to ask what is the schedule I should follow in order to illuminate my tank properly without burning the corals. I posted a picture of the lights so if anyone can tell me how I should...
  6. T

Reverse osmosis unit

Hey guys So i was wondering if anybody knows a good and cheap reverse osmosis unit that i can buy for $100. I dont have more money and it seems that most units are $200 plus plus. I have a 50gallon tank but saving towards a 100gallon. Thats why i need the rou because i am having problems with...
  7. T

How to set up the best sump filter¿¿¿¿??????

Hey guys Can anyone tell me or share how to set up a proper sump filtration system? I got a 50 gallon tank and for a while I tried to use the turf algae scrubber filter so I could get rid off the green hair algae that was crowling my tank. But after two month the problem not only did not go...
  8. T

Bed Bugs!!!!!!!

It hasn´t been my year at all. First, my 50 gallon tank break in the middle of the night, then I got an ich atack that wiped out my entire tank and now there is a bed bug infestation in th ebuilding where I live, Now, they are going to do a heat treatment on each unit and I have to get the fish...
  9. T

Algae Scrubber Filter not removing green hair algae from display

Hello Guys I was wondering if anyone can advise on this issue. I build a turf algae scrubber filter which is seems to be working ¨properly¨but it is not. However my water parameters are low Phosphates .01 Nitrite: 0 Amonia: 0 Nitrate: .05 Sometimes I feed the fish pellets and sometimes...
  10. T

Engineer blenny going psycho???? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Guys It is a sad day for my tank and me. This morning I found 3 dead fish, all under the same piece of wood, next to a rock where my engineer blenny had been building his subway station. It has been a long and stressful week for my fish because I have been dealing with and ich attack on...
  11. T

Unable to load pictures

Hey guys Does anyone know why I am unable to load pictures? I have started several threads and it always ask me to use a URL so I have to use photobucket but even then, it only shows the link and no the picture. DO I have to buy membership or something in order to upload pics directly? Thanks
  12. T

Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

Hello Guys I decided to build my turf algae filter or nitrate and phosphate remover. I have been reading a lot on this subject and I decided it could be of great help for my tank. I have been having lots of problems with phosphates and Nitrates, eventhough I try to keep the tank really clean...
  13. T

White spots on Cowfish

Hey guys, since last black friday, I have a cowfish. Cute little thing and eats from my hand and all. In the last couple of weeks, I noticed that he has been developing some white dots on the skin. I looked online and it looks like ich, however, most if not all the pictures I am looking on...
  14. T

To feed or not to feed???? The question is driving mme mad!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, I am wondering about whether to feed or not my corals. I have been reading lots of threads in here. Some people feed lots of stuff and additives and some others don´t feed anything at all, just the water, salt and calcium. So, I am wondering if anybody can help me decided or advise...
  15. T

Thou shalt not hate!!!!

But I do, I do, I do!!!!!!! Help please, I started my 50-gallon, someday to be reef tank, almost three months ago. Ever since I have been fighting explosions of diatom algae and now, green hair algae. And I think it is because I can´t get all the uneaten food and waste out of the tank when...
  16. T

Help to Identify this Anemone!!!!

Hello guys Can someone help me identify this anemone? I got it from the shoreline close to my home on Alki beach. I had it for a couple of months and she is doing great actually. However, last sunday I added a pair of clownfish, occelaris, and they were doing fine till this morning...
  17. T

Identification please (Oops, I did it again)!!!!!

Hey guys I am in the middle of sicling my tank. It has been almost two months since I started with my 25g reef tank (project). I went down the beach today (I Live in Seattle) and the tide was incredible low. So low, they were news reporters taking pics and all that jazz. Anyway, I was walking...
  18. T

Finnex AL-H18DD LED Lights, anyone?

Hey guys: It´s been a week since my last water change and these are the readings Ammonia 0 PH 8 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 I am not saying that the tank is ready for corals or anything else but I wonder if anyone has used the Finnex AL-H18DD LED Lights. When I piurchased the tank they were...
  19. T

How much water in the sump

Hey guys So I was wondering if anyone can tell me how high the water level should be in the sump. I was told that it should be very high and some other people had said it should be barely high enough for the return pump to work. Can you guys help me solve this puzzle? I am attaching a pic of...
  20. T

New 25g Rimless Tank cycling

Hey Guys This is my 25g rimless tanks that I am trying to set for a reef. I got the tank from a guy who couldn’t take care of it anymore. It came with the canister filter, a power tower and the stand. I got the live rock from another guy who was selling it very cheap (2 bucks per pound) as...