Search results

1. evallarta1

Film in RO/DI container

Has anyone ever noticed if they get a film/slime on the inside of there RO/DI holding tank? I have a 30 gal rubbermaid garbage can w/lid that I hold my water in. I was moving my heater in it around and I felt the side of the container, and it had a film/slime on it. Should I empty the...
  2. evallarta1

You guys are going to be proud of me...

So when I replaced my my sump with my acrylic built one I had a empty 20 gal tank sitting there. So I just placed my order last night for parts to build my 20 gallon Quarintine Tank/Hospital Tank. I should have all my parts by end of the week. It a nice feeling to have knowing that if someone...
  3. evallarta1

PH drop question

Monday night I swapped out my old sump/fuge with a new sump/fuge that I built. I added about 35 gals. of salt water. Then on Wednesday I pulled out all of my live rock and scrubbed some of it (cyano) and re-scaped my tank. I only changed out about 5 gals of water. Yesterday I tested my water...
  4. evallarta1

Will this cause a mini cycle?

I plan on doing a MAJOR over haul to my 75 gal. I had a 20 gal sump/fuge that has been running for awhile. I wasnt really happy with the set up so I got some acrylic and built a new sump/fuge. When I swap out the 20 gal and put in the new acrylic sump will this cause my tank to cycle? I...
  5. evallarta1

Cooling Fan Placement ?

My Metal Halides are bringing my temp up. I have 4 computer fans that I need to figure out the best place to put to cool the tank down. Any suggestions? I was thinking two blowing down on the water in my sump. And two blowing across the DT between the top of the tank and the bottom of the...
  6. evallarta1

How to make a 12v power supply for your PC fans

I needed some fans to cool off my tank. I had a old computer that I got some fans out of and hooked one up to a old phone charger. I wasnt impressed with the out put so I figured I would fab up the powersupply from the old computer to power the fans instead. So this is how I did it...
  7. evallarta1

sea urchin question

I was watching my tuxedo sea urchin today and I noticed something strange. On the top of him right in the middle it looked like sand was coming out. Kind of in spurts. Am I to assume that my urchin is taking a bathroom break? Or is this something else that I need to be concerned about?
  8. evallarta1

LFS vs Online Shopping

I just came back from the LFS that I frequent with some stuff. While looking at the receipt I came up with a small dilemma. I noticed that I could get most if not all of the stuff online for cheaper. Now most of you probably think its a no brainer. But I went to pretty much all the LFS in...
  9. evallarta1

A quick question....

I have a bad case of cyano. I've read TONS of post about it and they all say the same thing. And Im starting to follow it. I do have a question though. I did a 30% water change and vacuumed out as much cyano as possible at the same time. How often should I do a water changes, and how much...
  10. evallarta1

Discouraged...

I just lost my PBT this morning to ich. I lost my Lemon Butterfly fish to ich about 2 weeks ago. One of my clowns is laying on the bottom of my tank ( I have never seen him do that before). I think in the year of trying out saltwater I have lost more fish then I have kept alive. I know...
  11. evallarta1

TDSs

Has anyone had any experience with this? HM Digital In-line Dual TDS Meter, Purity Monitors > Reverse Osmosis > Saltwater Aquarium Supplies
  12. evallarta1

a couple questions

1. What do you guys do to clean the outside of your glass? Normally I take some glass cleaner and spray directly onto the cloth (away from the tank) and then wipe down the glass. But I noticed that there are still marks on the glass. Im thinking its from the salt. So what should I use? 2...
  13. evallarta1

Blue Tang missing, need advise...

I put my blue tang in today and he was swimming around and even ate a little bit. He was swimming strong and interacting with the other fish. I went down to rearrange my protein skimmer for a couple of minutes and when I looked back in the tank he was gone! I looked all around in the LR and...
  14. evallarta1

need the protein skimmer experts

My wife is buying me a skimmer for our anniversary (yay me). Ive been looking and looking and looking, reading, and more looking. Well I went to a LFS today to get a pistol shrimp for my yellow watchman and asked how much it was to order a ASM G-1X. Now this is for a 75 gal with a 20 gal...
  15. evallarta1

Major Plumbing Problem

I decided to redo my plumbing yesterday and today because it just wasnt working for me and I wanted to change a few things. In the process I made two big mistakes. First I cracked one of my bulkhead fitting. No big deal I was able to get a new one. And the second major problem is I over...
  16. evallarta1

Changing to RO Water

I just bought a RO/DI unit and got it all set up. Ive been using conditioned tap water (I know I know) in my tank and am ready to start changing over to RO/DI. My question is how big of water changes should I do at time in the tank without shocking it? Its a 75 gal with a 20 gal fuge. I have...
  17. evallarta1

Refugium sand

Do I ever need to clean or sift my fuge sand? I have about 4 inches in it. Any other maintenance things I should do besides cleaning out my pump? Thanks.
  18. evallarta1

Maxxima RO

I went to the LFS today to invest in a RO. I was in luck and got a Maxxima Max60HiS for $100 used. :dance: I got home and downloaded the manual and compared it to the 60HiS and I noticed the tubes were hooked up wrong. No biggy I hooked them back up and proceeded to install my new...
  19. evallarta1

Yellow Watchman problem

I bought a small yellow watchman yesterday and he was doing good. I checked this morning and he was no where to be found. I came home later today and went to feed the fish and was looking for him with no luck. Well I just happen to look in my overflow (its a reef ready tank) and there he was...
  20. evallarta1

Little tiny bugs?

Well I havent really been doing to much with my tank since I havent really had the money to do anything. Its been up and running for about 6 or 7 weeks now. So I went to turn off the light today and I noticed there little tiny white bugs, about the size of pin head and look like miniture...