Search results

1. Z

corals not wanting to open after "Proper pH"

thanks for the input guys... ammonia is down to .25 again after a water change. nitrites have gone up to .25 as well. nitrates have gone up to ~20. diatoms are running rampant, i see some really really really tiny feather duster lookin things on some of the rock and that's about it now
  2. Z

well? maybe the amquel i had put in made it at least tolerable for these things to live?
  3. Z

so what about the diatoms? I thought they're supposed to come at the end of the cycle, but they've exploded all over the tank
  4. Z

well i've had the tank almost 2 weeks now. there's diatoms on the glass and sand, the snails are moving around as normal and the coral is open up more than it was in the bucket. is my ammonia test kit screwed up or something? how could these things survive in water that has 2-3ppm or more of...
  5. Z

so I had put my pieces of frogspawn in the tank, cuz it wasn't doing any better in the bucket (I'll see if I can get someone to take some of it so at least if what I have dies I can get some back when the tank stabilizes), and it's actually more open than it was in the bucket now. same with the...
  6. Z

the coral reef shop, in carmichael. Im moving to fresno in a few weeks though. Anybody down there who knows a good lfs?
  7. Z

I don't have any friends that have tanks. I'm solo on this one. my kenya trees are gone, and the frogspawn seems to still be alive. only one nassarius is still alive as far as snails go. as for the snow covered rock, read my last post
  8. Z

there was a sponge that was on one of the rocks, and is now covered in what looks like snow. I'm assuming it's dead as well? and I should try to get it off the rock and out of the tank? I'm reading that water changes only drag out the cycling process. everything is dead, no point in trying to...
  9. Z

well i did the bucket thing, the snails are much happier even tho the temp is off from the tank. i got salinity and pH where they're supposed to be, used RO water with some instant ocean. gotta get a heater for it still...i put my frogspawn and kenya trees in there, the frogspawn is shrunk up...
  10. Z

if I were to do that, I'd likely have to change the water often yeah? I'd imagine if I put a piece of LR in there it would make it do the same thing the tank is doing now...
  11. Z

lol of course I meant saltwater :p by fresh i mean not chock-full of ammonia
  12. Z

could I maybe put what's still alive in a bucket or something, with fresh water? I'd like to save what's still alive if at all possible. the frogspawn and kenya trees seem to be still alive. anything I could do?
  13. Z

oh and the bristle worms are coming out of the rock again. there's some pretty nicely sized ones in there. should I be doing anything? taking things out? ammonia is up to 1ppm now, snails aren't moving unless i poke em..
  14. Z

well the xenia is obviously dead. buttons still not open, nor are the zoos. the frogspawn doesnt look nearly as bad tho, same with the kenyas. now there's some patches of brown growing on the glass by the sand, and on a bunch of the bare patches of rock
  15. Z

how can you tell a coral is dead or dying, or just closed up?
  16. Z

Well ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all jumped up from just about nothing to at least one color block if not 2 up. The guy at the LFS said to put some am-quel in it to detox the ammonia last night, and I brought a water sample in today. He then said to do a 50% water change and just let it run for...
  17. Z

well, seems everything is dying now. both maroons, gramma, cleaner shrimp, 3 chromis and a starfish have all bitten the dust. my feather duster seems to be trying to pull itself out of its tube. there's bristle worms all over the place, coming out of the rock. My kenya tree corals are looking...
  18. Z

well some seem to be opening back up, namely the green anchor (I'm still not sure if it's anchor or frogspawn). The button polyps opened back up as well. Very few zoo polyps are open, my xenia and kenya tree are slightly improved.
  19. Z

I wish the instructions would note that. I read it a few times to try to figure out just how to put it in, but it just said "add one packet per 20 gallons" how can I remedy this? or are my corals toast?
  20. Z

I just added it to the tank, and it went everywhere. The dumb chromis tried to eat it (like they do anything that floats by). I posted this on another forum (nano-reef) and someone suggested it's the undissolved CO3 and HCO3 particles that landed on the corals and annoyed them.