Search results

1. big_vard

Possible Lighting Option..

Hey folks, I am looking to build myself a canopy for my 20 gallon and was considering using the following for ballast/endcaps for my fluorescent lights. They are very reasonable in price (60-70$) and seem simple and easy. Exoterra products - Light Units Thoughts? Steve
  2. big_vard

Away for 1 month

Hey folks, I am going to be away from home for 1 month. I have housemates who can look after my tank, but they literally know NOTHING about saltwater. I could potentially move my livestock to my dad's tank for that time, but would prefer not to. I currently am running a 20g with HOB...
  3. big_vard

My DIY "HOB" Refugium/Skimmer

So here goes... Over the past couple months, after finding this amazing site, and the wealth of knowledge here I've been making strides to improve my 20 gallon nano reef. One of the first things I realized was that my "skilter" wasn't going to cut it as a skimmer, and that I could really use...
  4. big_vard

Acrylic splash guard

Hi there, Just wondering if anyone knows if its ok to use acrylic between fluorescent lights and the surface of the water. I recall hearing somewhere that the acrylic would filter out some of the beneficial light. Does anyone know about this? Thanks! Steve
  5. big_vard

Worm Hitchhiker

Hey folks, I've picked up a hitchhiker. This particular creature came in on a chunk of live rock I actually got over ebay. He survived a whole week of shipping in only a "moist" environment. He looks a lot like an earthworm, and is about the same size as one too. He appears to live in...
  6. big_vard

Acrylic Adhesive....??

Hey guys, So I've read lots of peoples posts saying they use something called "weld-on" for bonding acrylic. Problem is, I can't find it anywhere, I don't think it's available in Canada actually... Does anyone know if this product: "Lepage Pres-tite Green Contact Cement" is: a) an...
  7. big_vard

Macro in Display?

Hey guys, a quick question here.. I don't currently have a 'fuge, but I am planning to get one evenetually. In the mean time, I was considering keeping some macro in my display as a means of nutrient export and keeping my nitrates in check. I'm running a pretty simple 20 gallon setup with...
  8. big_vard

Piling Live Rock

Hey guys, When you are building up your reef with live rock, I assume you pile the rock at the back of the aquarium. My question is, is it safe to have the rock leaning against the glass at the back of the aquarium? My nano I am working on now is not a "nano-cube" but rather a regular 20g...
  9. big_vard

The Story of my 20g

So where do I start... Well not to repeat too much of my "introduction" post, but here goes: So I started into the hobby probably 15 years ago. I spent about 10 years with my dad where we started with 35 gallons and eventually upgraded to 77. Through all of that time we never had many of...
  10. big_vard

Substrate Upgrade

Hey guys, So as I mentioned in my "introduction" I'm currently running a 20g nano with a skilter (yeah I know, thanks for the great advice LFS). I've moded it with an airstone and its working ok as a skimmer. I've removed the filter media (as I understand they trap nitrates). I also have...
  11. big_vard

Hello from Canada!

Hey all! I've been surfing these forums for a week or two now, figured it was about time to introduce myself. Name: Steve Vardy Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada Keeping: 20g "nano" (fairly new) 35g turtle/cichlid tank (5 years) also, my dad has a 77g FOWLR (and some mushrooms)...