Search results

1. woodwrkinnut

Young Blue Hippo Tang colorless spots?

I had lost a couple of fish this past summer because my tank got hot. I have installed a air conditioning unit beyond the houshold central air unit as the tank is in a office addition in our attic. Anyway, the hippo (blue) tang survived and quickly showed colorless areas near the tail and...
  2. woodwrkinnut

Fitration- Hang-on vs. canister?

Below is a description of my current tank status. I have recieved several omments on my current hang-on filtering. I have researched canister filtering systems and am currently contemplating a change to a FLUVAL 304 canister system. I am looking for some suggestions? I would like to know if...
  3. woodwrkinnut

Live Rock Help Needed!

my live rock appears to have a white algae or something like it starting to appear on it inbetween the green and marron normal coloring. Any ideas and is there something I should be doing to correct it? tests I do regularly: NITRATES 20 NITRITES 0 AMMONIA 0 SALINITY 1.25 sgu's PH 8.2 ALKALINITY...
  4. woodwrkinnut

Adding Oxygen???

I currently run two 10 inch stone bubblers in the rear of my tank to add oxygen to the saltwater. Is this adequate or unneccesary and will to oxygen rich of an environment create algae accumulation? If anyone have an answer to this I would appreciate feedback. Thank You!
  5. woodwrkinnut

Flame Angel health?

My Flame Angel was my first fish approx. 14 weeks ago. He has been hiding out alot lately. Tonite I found him in the back of the tank bumping into things, like the glass!! He finally found his way to the front of the tank after bumping off of several snails and rocks. I am not sure what is up...
  6. woodwrkinnut

When to add more?

My tank is 40 gal. It is a fowlr set-up I have two fish and six snails at this point. I would like to add one to two more fish. I would also like to add several cleaner shrimp. And, I would eventually like to add some type of a star fish. My question is at what intervals do I add then...
  7. woodwrkinnut

Live Sand or Crushed coral?

I have a fowlr tank that has two fish and six snails to date. I have a 40 gal. aquarium with 25 lbs. of live rock and misc. pieces of coral place on a 21/2 " crushed coral bed.I run a bio-wheel filter and another hang on 40 gal. filter, along with a protein skimmer. I keep my tank temp at...
  8. woodwrkinnut

40 gallon reef lighting

I have a new reef with a single power-glo light. It has blue l.e.d. moon-glow night lighting. Do I need more light for day? For proper algae growth? Thanks! Addtional Info. 40 gal. tank 20 watt power -glo flourescent live rock at this time may intro some live coral at some time if no confliction...
  9. woodwrkinnut

New Reef started! First fish in!, Heelo to all!

New Reef started! First fish in!, Hello to all! Here go's! I'm from The Upper Penninsula of Michigan. I work 12hr shifts at a local Paper mill. I have a wonderful and exciting family life with kids that keep my wife and I on the run with school sports. As all can see by my user name, I...