Search results

1. K

BB comign to an END?

I have a BB and love it a lot. If I ever set up a small tank (20 g or less) I may put sand in there...would be a softie tank though. My thoughts are on a tank that small I could replace the sand whenever I wanted too with minimal problems.
  2. K

need help. IM going Barebottom

"Cook" your rock.
  3. K

Tips for a Succesful Barebottomed SPS tank

I test the effluent from my ROWAphos reactor to ensure that the media is still fucntioning correctly and make the needed adjustments. I also test my tank water to ensure my PO4 levels are low. I use a Merck PO4 kit. It is much more acurate than most.
  4. K

Once a tank is mature excessive testing is not needed. A reefer should 'know' his/her tank and acept visual cues that something is amiss. Tests for Alk, Nitrate and PO4 should be done at least every 3 weeks imo. I test Alk weekly as I have an SPS tank. I like to KNOW it is ok.
  5. K

As for another tip, I have found this VERY VERY instrumental for me. For others maybe not so much. I made a simple list of maintenance tasks. Monday - Sunday, what was to be done on each day. Monthly, quarterly and yearly. Everything on that list is for the "normal" running of my...
  6. K

You are welcome. I, for one, used to use every device sold as for "Reef Tanks". Most were utterly useless. I lost much money doing so but learned many valuable lessons. I learned which types of equipment work, additives etc. UV's are very potent and help a tank very much. They are not...
  7. K

Coral Acclimation

Perhaps you can share with us the method you used when losing corals. Also what is your temp, pH, nitrate, etc.
  8. K

Mike, 4-5 x your tank turnover per hour is what you should shoot for. In your case 200 - 300 gph.
  9. K

UV's are a much better than fit than Ozone for a reef tank. I rate them above Ozone and well above Carbon. Carbon is last for 3 main reasons: 1. The constant need to buy it. Plain and simple. 2. To be effective it needs to be changed regularly. New media rinsed etc. It is messy and...
  10. K

Don't try and keep up. Your neighbor sounds like he cares about his tank by sacrificing so much money on it. Sometimes it is needed to spend money to accomplish results we want. What size tank is it to have all those toys? Concentrate on your tank. And find what is right for yours. :)
  11. K

Hello Mike, For a system your size a 25 watt UV would be more than enough. It would also provide you the luxury of not having to change bulbs but once every 2 to 2-1/2 years.
  12. K

Wet skimming. Extremely important imo. In a BB tank there is little leeway before organics rise. There isn't that 'cushion' (however temporary it may be) to absorb nutrients. Need to get them out before they break down. Carbon, UV, or Ozone. More than one, I don't think is needed. But...
  13. K

acanthastrea for you T

You paid $400 for that Mike?
  14. K

How do you run carbon?

Mike, Buy a phosan reactor. They are fluidized, inexpensive, more than large enough for your system and can either be insump or hang on. Come on over to my house and check it out.
  15. K

irfanview

Image>Decrease Color Depth, may be what you are looking for.