Search results

1. T

how important is vacuuming gravel bed?

Good info! Thanks. I'm not sure if I need to worry as much as I do about vacuuming the gravel. My current tank at home is doing well (clean water and happy fish) and I don't vacuum very much, but do the water changes religiously. I want to set up a duplicate tank at the office and I don't know...
  2. T

Dentist DT

Our kids' dentist has a cool saltwater tank too, that is in a wall and looks through to the hallway behind. I think it's really popular with the kids, and I sure like seeing it. PS. Cute granddaughter! And she knows how to pose!
  3. T

Glass bowing a bit - OK or OMG!!!!

I don't know but the bowing seems like a bad thing to me. As someone above said, even if the glass doesn't go, that seems like an indicator of more stress on the seams as well.
  4. T

update on my nano SPS reef! PICS!!!

Very cool fish! Good luck with the tank. If you're 3 months into it, it seems like you're on the right track!
  5. T

Thanks for all the info! Yes, it relies on an "undergravel filter" (I call it a bio filter). There are no plants and no light other than ambient room lighting. Seems like a balance between getting rid of some of the poop but not disturbing the gravel and bacteria too much...
  6. T

I'm wondering how important it is to vacuum the gravel in a freshwater tank and how often. I've read different opinions, as well as differences in how to do it (i.e. do a 1/4 of the bottom per water change). If one is utilizing the gravel as a biological filter, doesn't the fish waste decompose...
  7. T

opinions on biofilters and air stones

The air stone seems to be working, so I think I can let it be until it stops working. Its in a tube connected under the gravel, and the rising air bubbles create a current to pull water through the gravel. I thought all the bubbles might also be adding oxygen, though I know it comes in through...
  8. T

opinions on biofilters and air stones

I've now had two fish in a small tank (freshwater) for several months. My son got them at school, and I stuck them in an old small tank we had around, not thinking they would last very long, based on previous experience. But they have actually thrived! Anyway, the tank uses a gravel bio-filter...