Search results

1. S

Algae cleanout What to do with the excess?

Not certain if this is the right area to post this but looking to start a creative discussion on possible uses for the algae we remove from our tanks every day. Just to clarify, the algae I am referring to is the stuff you scrape off a turf scrubber or the floaty filamentous algae that grows in...
  2. S

Anyone culturing their own live phyto.

Starting to culture Phyto so I can feed my tank the live stuff. Of course I'm going overboard. Got 4 disks of Phyto from florida Aqua Farms today of 4 different types of Phyto. My question to those who are or have cultured live Phyto is, How sterile does the water really need to be? I...
  3. S

Help with Auto feeding Live food

I built a device that should allow me to culture and feed live food to my tank. I found the description for it in one of the forums I can't remember which at the moment but they referred to it as a Geosapper. Basically there are 3 chambers. The top one holds phytoplankton, The middle , pods the...
  4. S

Mixing station Large tank small space

Not certain if this is the best spot to post this question or not. I have a 180G DT over a 18G sump/fuge. I figure I have roughly 300 gallons of water once you figure out the displacement of 290 lbs live rock + 380 lbs Live sand. I had built a 37 gallon tall tank into th cabinetry...
  5. S

Chaeto and Cycling

I have a 180g DT over a 180g that is divided into sump and fuge My plan is to have Chaeto in the fuge and possibly in the DT as well. I have been dosing the tank daily with MicroBacter7 and I think I am aproaching the end of the cycle. Amonia has peaked and now appears to be below .25 ppm...
  6. S

My 180 double sided

Was advised to start a chronical but am having dificulty with the pictures and my posting privileges I have a album up here on the site but I can't seem to add any new pictures to it. I have a chronical at my local reef club jaxreef
  7. S

Initial tank fill. When to turn skimmer on

I have just filled my tank and I know it takes some time for the water to clear up. My question is, What's the proper timing for turning on the skimmer? Should it be used to help in the clearing or not? I have a 180g display over a 180g sump/fuge There is aprox 160lbs of live sand in...
  8. S

To Mud or not to mud?

I've always been a fan of oversizing biological filtration but I am bringing my new system on line now and am second guessing one of my decisions. I have a 180g DT over a 180g sump/fuge. The sump is divided into 3 sections left to right skimmer, sump, fuge There are 2 returns from the...
  9. S

Initial fill of 180 over 180

I have a 180g display over a 180g sump. Currently the only think in the tanks is 250lbs of dry live rock from BRS. I have been debating the best way to do the initial fill and have decided against having the water delivered due to the cost for the volumn. I have bought a 325 gallon IBC...
  10. S

Calculating Amount of live rock to use

I have a 180 gallon tank and I know the general guidelines seem to be to use between 1 and 2 lbs of Live rock per gallon of water. What is unclear is, should that calculation be based off just the display tank or off the total water volume. Everyone seems to be talking about the...
  11. S

sizing a skimmer

I'm trying to figure out how to properly size a skimmer for my new system. The display tank is a standard 180gal actual capacity is closer to 170 but I'm guessing it will hold probably closer to 150 once the sand and coral is in there. Have a second 180 for fuge/sump. This again will...
  12. S

Positioning a sump on a floor and compensaring for not level floor

I have a rather odball question regarding positioning my sump under my tank. My house is single story on top of concrete slab. Atop that is some glued down enginered tongue and groove wood flooring, about 3/8" thick. I have a wooden stand constructed of 3 x 2x4 at each corner supporting 2x6...
  13. S

calculate proper flow rate for a fuge

I had a 180 gallon tank that I will be converting to a sump/fuge for rmy 180 gallon display tank. I am targeting 3600 gph through my display tank I will have my skimmer output bypass the fuge but I would like to know how to calculate the optimal flow rate for a 75 gallon fuge chamber...
  14. S

advice on plans for a 180 gal Refugium

I am in the process of installing my new tank but have been absent from the hobby for about 10 years so much of the technology is new to me. I am planning on converting a 180 gal tank into a sump and refugium for my other 180 gallon display tank but the concepts are fairly new to me and Id...
  15. S

Coming back to the Hoby after a long absence

Hello My name is Eli and I am finally getting back to the hobby after 10 years absence. In my heyday I had five tanks in my bedroom and was known as the fish guy and went to school form Marine Bio. I've since decided to keep it just a hoby and now design databases, applications and networks...