Search results

1. L

Sad sad... we need the tang police

I stopped by a local chain pet store the other day - Petco if it must be said. They had some 20 gallon tanks... one of them had 3 or 4 yellow tangs in it. It made me so sad.
  2. L

Just Coral

I received an order yesterday from JustCoral.com. I got two zoo colonies, one star polyps and a frogspawn. They arrived wonderfully packaged and I'm very happy with what I received. The zoos are exactly as pictured and the other two are large, healthy corals. They are all fully opened and...
  3. L

Gobies changing colors?

I checked Reefpedia, but didn't see anything about this... Do gobies have the ability to change color to match their surroundings? I ask because my black clown goby in quarantine looks grey in the evening, but black during the day. It's quite odd. Thanks, Laura
  4. L

Anyone bought from Aquatic Connection?

Wondering if anyone has any experience with these guys? http://www.aquacon.com/index.html Their web site's security certificate is making my browser warn me about them, and when I call it sounds like one person posing as three departments at a company.
  5. L

It's going to take more than a tall glass and a piece of shrimp

The Seattle aquarium was having a problem with a rogue in their shark tank. They caught it being naughty on film. The very squeamish might find this disturbing. Probably not child-okay (scary). http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7004909622962894202
  6. L

What is this white goo?

Last night, after the MHs were off and I was walking by the tank, I saw a stream of goo coming out of the live rock. It stuck to the glass. Here it is. It's not moving, but... what IS that? Laura
  7. L

Crab ID sites?

I'm trying to ID a hitchhiker crab, and I've looked through the likely searches without any luck. Does anyone know any good crab ID sites I might browse? Thanks!
  8. L

How to trap a crab?

I am in shock. Utter shock. I have a previously unnoticed hitchhiker. He's monstrous. I had a small hermit disappear, didn't think much of it. Had a snail disappear... didn't think much of that. Both smallish, both could be alive in the rockwork... Today I caught a fleeting glimpse...
  9. L

How do you tell when zoos are dead?

Hey everyone. I just added three tiny zoo frags to my tank yesterday. Two of them are open and looking great, but the third one hasn't opened since I got it. How do you know when a zoo colony is dead? At what point should I start to worry? Thanks! Laura Edit: Forgot to say...
  10. L

Calcium / Alk supplements question

I have been monitoring my calcium and alkalinity in my 24 gallon tank. I've read an article in our knowledge base about this - the one with that wonderful chart with the two lines that shows the target zone for calcium and alkalinity. I have been to the left of the target zone and trying to...
  11. L

Round, flat, black animal thingy... what could it be?

Hi Everyone. I have a black thingy on my live rock. I've attempted a picture, but I clearly need a tripod. Hopefully someone will ah-hah despite my photography. It's flat, roughly an elongated circle. It's black and shiny. The middle has a thick center with a white line down it...
  12. L

CPR Bakpak 2R+

Sold
  13. L

Purely H2O

I ordered an RO unit from PurelyH2O - it's their smallest one and very reasonably priced. I figured that since I only had a 24 gallon tank I'd only need a couple of gallons a week and to get something modest - especially since I'd never heard of RO/DI until I really started reading... I figured...
  14. L

My gramma has a spot

Hi everyone, I just got a royal gramma and a firefish on Friday - they were FedEx'd to me. They are in quarantine together. Today I got my first real look at the gramma, who has been hiding under a rock for the most part. He has a big, dark spot on his dorsal (?) fin. I do not know if he...
  15. L

Adding a Mud Refugium to an Existing Tank

Hi everyone... My tank has been up for a almost 2 months, and it has a cleanup crew and a handful of coral frags in it. The first two fish destined for it are in quarantine. I've been having a lovely hair algae bloom, which the hermits and snails have mostly kept up with. My concern is...
  16. L

Lovely coral, butt-ugly rock: what to do?

I've started adding coral frags to my tank. I have several that came on pieces of rock roughly the size of one of those small, round guest-soaps. One of them is on a rectangular piece of orange hideous rock roughly the size of a large deck of cards. Ugh. None of these rocks lend themselves...
  17. L

A School of one?

I was planning on putting three fish in my 24 gallon reef: one royal gramma, one firefish, and one chromis. I have been reading that chromis like to school, however. Would a single chromis be stressed out by being alone, or do they adapt to this okay? Thanks! Laura
  18. L

Scientific Coral

Scientific Coral is kind of an interesting company: they are an eco-friendly coral supplier. All they sell is frags; everything is captive raised. I ordered their Hardy Beginner's Soft Coral Pack #3 (nano sized). Basically, it's six coral frags of about 1" in size that are relatively...
  19. L

Firefish jumping: Do I need to be concerned?

I'm getting ready to get a firefish, and I read that they are quite the acrobats. I run with an open tank - I have half-inch eggcrate covering it. Are they good enough at this jumping business that he's likely to succeed in killing himself? Thanks!