Search results

1. M

Algae

tank has been running about 6 months....all water parameters are Ok except high Nitrate. I use RO water but...Nitrate has been high from the git go
  2. M

Algae

I appreciate yuor diagnosis but what do I do with this situation? My tank is fish only. Thanks Jim
  3. M

Algae

I have a stable tank: Environment and Equipment 110 Gal tank 2 inch CC bottom Lots of rock some live Sump plus wet to dry with Bio Balls Fluval 440 filled, charcoal, bio-media Dual Bak Pak protein skimmer with bio media Two power heads not sure of the size Lots of air bubbles I 4-5...
  4. M

emperor angel with face marks

This issue of stray electricity is very controversial. Some very bright people say it is bunk others swear by it...what is a fish lover to think? Regarding the broccli...how does on go about preparing and feeding broccoli to fish? I do have some live rock.Ove rthe last month I have lost 3-4...
  5. M

my pH is 8.2-8.4, Water temp is 81-82, RO water only, feed frozen brine shrimp, Formula 2 with Garlic, Marine Flake food, Green Algae daily. Water test clean for nitrate, nitrites amonia. I do water changes every other week and change about 15% of the total water. I use a pH buffer. I am...
  6. Jim's emperor

Jim's emperor

white marks
  7. M

My emperor angel has had spots around his face for a long time. They seem to be getting worse as in more of them and bigger. He also seems to be getting less active. I took the attached picture to 2 "experts" and got two answers. One said the fish had a vitamin deficiency and that I should...
  8. M

Help.... fish leaving this world

I have had a stable tank for 6+ months. Lately fish have started dieing. There is no obvious disease showing. I test for Nitrite, pH, Specific Gravity, Ammonia. All are good (pH is a bit high). I use only RO water. I change water regularly (every two weeks 20-25%. I have a shrimp, a choc chip...
  9. M

wet to dry sump

I am looking at creating a wet to dry filter. I would like to hang my protain skimmer (BAk Bac Dual) in the sump of the wet to dry. Anybody have any thoughts on that? Also instead of putting a return pump in my sump I want to use the 2 canister filters I currently own. One is a Mag 3 and the...
  10. M

need new lights

There is something that I still do not understand. How do I regulate the water out of the tank (via gravity) with the water back in via pump. There must be a part I'm missing. Cause I see a problem with either emptying the tank onto the floor or sucking the sump dry as the pump gets ahead of the...
  11. M

need new lights

Ok, well thank you alll for your advise. But.....where can I get information on designing this sump. Like how do I move the water from the sump to the main tank? How do you control the heat in a 110 gallon tank by heating the water in an ajacent 50 gallon tank? Do you move the water between the...
  12. M

need new lights

Hi there kinda new here and want to thank everyone for being so helpful with my early questions. Let me tell you about the second hand tank I purchased: Environment and Equipment 110 Gal tank 2 inch CC bottom Lots of rock none live yet 350 mag canister filled with charcoal and mechanical...
  13. M

My pH jumped up

Everything was going along fine and than yesterday my pH jumped from 8.2 to 8.8. My tank is about 6 weeks old. Fish look great. I am using Aquarium Pharm test kit and like a previous poster I am having lots of mixed readings. High ammonia, than normal Ammonia. Than High again I changed 25% of...
  14. M

Chemical testing

I have test kit by Aquarium Pharaceutucals.
  15. M

Chemical testing

I have been testing my marine water for about 2 months. Tank is new. I did an experiment and tested pure (reverse osmosis) water and pure water with sea salt added (store bought aquarium sea salt water used was also RO). I noticed in the plain pure water the water changed color to a light...
  16. M

moving an existing tank

I just purchased a 110 galllon tank. It is currently set up and running in the sellers home. I want to move it to my home and keep the current bio-system intact. The tank looks dirty right now but the fish look healthy and active. Is it worth keeping all the water and moving it in 5 gal buckets...