Search results

1. B

DINOs and PH?

Update After a 30% WC and rear chamber clean out. Temp 80 PH 7.8 Nitrate 10 Nitrite 0 Phos 0 CA 350 Mg 1240 FYI water used for WC had thses values PH 7.8, Ca 430,Mg 1320 I found out that my KH test is comtaninated so i need to get a refill
  2. B

DINOs and PH?

So got a new test kit for the missing elements. Temp 80 Nitrate 50 Phos 0 CA 380 Mg 1200 KH ? Red Sea kit does not change to the full red it stays more orange/peach? I know my nitrates are high. I need to do a WC + I treated my rocks with H2O to mass remove algae. I think it may be lyngbya...
  3. B

DINOs and PH?

Thank you for the insight. I have been working on nutrient reduction and increased water flow. I will aquire the other reef base tests. I do wonder if i try changing salts while increasing my WC volumes may speed up help the process with the PH levels? Is 7.8 too low?
  4. B

DINOs and PH?

I have brown stringy alage on rocks and glass, i think it is Dino, so i'm looking at PH issues. The tank is a RSM130D, running 8 months. Purgien and ROPHOS used. Weekly 5 gallon WC. Temp. 80 degrees, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Phos 0, PH 7.8. 1.25 SG. I think my salt mix i'm using is a part of...
  5. B

Used RSM 130 LED retrofits?

Has anyone ever seen a used RSM 130 LED retrofit kit? How about after someone goes topless? Steve, Nano, Rapid?
  6. B

Too much flow for a 130?

Would a 1000-2000gph pump be too much for a RSM 130? Only power head in tank aside from return pumps. No corals yet. I found a good price on an aqua medic wave maker with controller similar to vortech.
  7. B

Filter pad maintence?

I decided to try a strip of a filter pad in the surface skimmer. The pad is only half the hieght of the strainer grate, so there is little chance of clogging. It has helped get the big stuff before it gets to the floss inside. A little piece of mind when i'm away.
  8. B

Filter pad maintence?

Thanks for the input. i will adjust my frozen feeding schedule and amount. When i change water and vacum i'm not finding alot of "trash". I know i need to keep the hermit well fed so he does not chow on my clown. The whole tank was set up after he hitched a ride home with a bag of collected...
  9. B

Filter pad maintence?

How often do you change/rinse your filter pad or floss in your 130d media rack? I have a 6 month old tank with only a small clown and a full grown thinline hermit crab 3-4" not including shell no corals I use a bonded filter pad with about 1" of floss under, empty skimmer every 5 days. i...
  10. B

Quieter skimmer systems RSM130d

I just put in an aqua medic turboflotor blue 500, it is a tight fit but it is quite and it can hang on the in tank media basket. Produced skimmate within hours and the lid still closes.
  11. B

RSM 130D skimmer purchase advice

I have a 130D that i'm rebuilding and i need to make a final choice about a skimmer but i can not make up my mind. TUNZE or Not to Tunze. I have been looking at the Aqua Medic EVO 500 skimmer which is an upgrade to the BLUE 500 with a controllable DC pump. I have only seen a handful post...
  12. B

Any have used stock 130D light parts left from a retrofit?

Does anyone who has removed their stock light system for the 130D still have their stock parts? I have a tank that has been retro fitted and i may return it to stock if i decide sell the tank. I would need the reflector, bulb socket, Ballast (i know i can get these online), Night Leds. All i...
  13. B

What kind of LEDs do i have

I found out that i have a Coral Sky LED upgrade. From doing some research on this site it looks to be an ok kit that can support corals if i want it to. ZACH
  14. B

What kind of LEDs do i have

I have picked up a used RSM 130D with a LED retrofit, I'm not sure what brand it is or it's specs. Hopefully someone here will recognize it. Any help would be great.
  15. B

Newbie from VA

Thanks for the welcomes, I'm looking forward to finding all sorts of new information and ideas on this forum.
  16. B

Newbie from VA

I'm from Staunton, so i'm only 1.5 hours from Roanoke. Can i ask if you use any LFS the area. I have been looking at Atlantis in Richmond. I also know of the PAWS in Lynchburg. I really do not want to ship fish, being that i'm new at the salt game.
  17. B

Hydor Nano skimmer anyone?

Sorry i guess i should have clarified, I was looking at the Hydor Slim Nano Skimmer but it is nice to know that i may be able to bump up on the skimmer with out modding the lid. Thanks
  18. B

Hydor Nano skimmer anyone?

Has anyone tried the Hydor Nano Skimmer with the 130D. I have heard that they are quieter then a Tunze but they have a very small collection cup with no inTank upgrade. Thanks Zach
  19. B

Newbie from VA

Hello I'm a newbie to the salt world. I don't even have a tank running right now, I'm collecting equipment and knowledge first. So far i have RSM 130d with a LED Upgrade and planning for a upgraded skimmer. I'm interested in the odd and different. So far may inspiration for the tank is...