Search results

1. Doogle

Plate coral morning breath? Anyone seen this?

The last couple mornings before I turn on the lights my plate has had its mouth open in a complete circle, it looks like what you imagine a volcano to look like. It still puffs up during the day & eats when I remember to feed it, not very often do I feed it though. Anyone seen this before?
  2. Doogle

Coral , African & American cichlids etc.

Mostly for my freshwater stock but I have much more saltwater corals also. Check my chronicle for more info or shoot me a PM. First off is my 2 55g tank/stand/filters/heater & rock etc, I have good rock btw. Also a fluval 155 41g curved glass w brushed metal trim matching brushed metal &...
  3. Doogle

T and valve before DI for drinking water , examples please.

I was at Home Depot last night looking for something else and noticed they have a lot of quick connect fittings like the ones used on my RO/DI filter. Can anyone show me what valve/fitting or whatever you are using so I can see what to look for when I go today. Is it a 3 way quick connect that...
  4. Doogle

4x24 Sunpower vs 150w Phoenix HQI

Here's sample pics of my 4x24w ATI Sunpower 4x24 w/ 1 ATI ACTINIC, 1 KZ FIJI PURPLE & 2 ATI BLUE PLUS bulbs. Bottom of fixture is almost 5" above top of tank. 150w Phoenix HQI in reef optix pendant running on sunlight supply bluewave m-81 ballast, bottom of pendant is 10" above top of tank...
  5. Doogle

Welso/trachy problems

Here's a pic when I first got it. Here it is now, as you can see it is bleaching in the center or losing color and won't puff up much and never opens up to extend feeders. It has expelled xoo algae a while back but didn't think much of it at the time because most of all my corals have upon...
  6. Doogle

Torch attacking frogspawn

The title says it all. I used a turkey baster and separated them, the frogspawn seemed to be taking a beating, I will update...
  7. Doogle

Red planaria and zoa eating nudibranchs, go me..lol

Even after careful observation, melafix dip, Lugol's solution dip and more observation somehow was not good enough. If you don't want to introduce pests into your display then you really need to QT all fish and corals. Dipping doesn't always work 100% of the time. After quite some time after...
  8. Doogle

Coral ID

Here is something I found last night. It's like a mushroom but I almost thought it was a nuibranch because its perfect ripples, seems there are six perfect purple ripples with green tips. Very pretty so far. Coralimorph?
  9. Doogle

How to get more intensity(PAR) and life from T5HO bulbs

Here is a simple way to get increased PAR and bulb life out of your T5HO bulbs. T5HO Bulbs have what is know as the cold spot. The cold spot is on the end of the bulb where the manufacturer's label is on the far end of one side of the bulb. This area is very important to understand to get...
  10. Doogle

New additions. Check it out!

Found a guy who sells in the area and online 20 minutes from my house, a friend pm'd me this place this morning so I had to check it out. Basement operation, great guy, gave me a 15 day guarantee and will take back the coral beauty I got from him if I ever needed to. Sweet.... Okay some new...
  11. Doogle

kalk for under 40g. How do u dose?

I'm wondering what you guys/gals are dosing for nano-ish tanks, like under 40g total water volume. Ive been manually dosing small amounts of Mrs Wages but was wondering if I should try something else. What's been proven to work for you and why?
  12. Doogle

Blue plus&fiji purple for dusk/dawn instead of blue pluses.not bad

When I set up the sunpower I was under the assumption it ran the 2 outer bulbs on one ballast and the 2 middle bulbs on another( 4 bulb 24" ) ballast. So I ended up having the dusk/dawn setting using a blue plus and Fiji purple instead of 2 blue plus bulbs. It's not too bad really, almost a...
  13. Doogle

Have you looked at your tank after lights out in awhile?

It's been awhile since I've looked at my tanks in the wee hours of the morning and have noticed some new critters. In the main tank I've noticed a huge explosion of chitons. Some are getting pretty large around 1" or more long and pretty fat. There is this one that is kinda pretty, it is yellow...
  14. Doogle

Just ordered ATI sun power

Well I've been saving for awhile now and treated my self to the sun power and some extra bulbs for my other fixtures. Can't wait!
  15. Doogle

Plate coral eats sand sifting star?

I just found what's left of my sand sifting starfish. I'm wondering if my new plate coral had something to do with it? I'm sure there is a stray crab that's in the tank too, I don't know what it is but I'm finding molts in the tank. I hope the plate eats the crab!lol
  16. Doogle

My now well fed plate coral

I got this little Sheila today with a couple heads of duncan and whipped up some chopped table shrimp, brine shrimp, fresh photo from the lfs, squid, squirt of Kents phyo and chromoplex and sow amino acid vitamins supplement and layer a fingernail sized chunk on top of her. Fed my other tank and...
  17. Doogle

Unknown mushroom, maybe?

Okay, this was the first hitchhiker I found on my rock months ago bu was always in a shaded area. When redid my rock work I moved the rock with it so it would get more light. I still not know what it is but I think it's a weird mushroom of some kind, maybe? It has feelers that are like the...
  18. Doogle

Buying a lfs

There's a lfs that is salt only. It's for sale and has large and your typical display tanks. It also comes with inventory and online store and your at home maintenance service. I guess I'm wondering if most lfs are successful or a money pit. I know I don't have a lot of info but I'm not trying...
  19. Doogle

Torch is receding from skeleton

Has anyone had a torch coral start to recede fromnthe skeleton, and still live? For some reason the skin that's attached to the skeleton has receded . It's about 1/4 of the circumference that's come off the skeleton. I've been reading and it sounds like it's gonna die. Why is this happening ...
  20. Doogle

Over&under tank 90&75g refugium

Okay my old man is coming from WA to be here for the birth of my baby and I mentioned building a stand, he agreed, couldnt do it without him as he is bringing the tools. I'm thinking of using the 75g I have as the refugium and getting maybe another 75or 90g tank for the display tank. I've seen...