Search results

1. V

Any MUST do mods for a noobs biocube?

liverock. skimmer. lighting. (LED's) wavemaker/flow flow flow. give'r.
  2. V

leave it or nuke it?

two little blooms of this stuff in the 29g cube. cuc is cleaner shrimp, turbo snails, blue leg hermits, there's a green emerald crab that looks grey in the tank... he doesn't do much. Used to climb all over everywhere, now he stays low. ...also have a dozen or so red bubble algae...
  3. V

Scooter Blenny

there's a story (I tried to find it, but no luck) of a guy who bought a mandarin... his wife loved it so much that she insisted this guy buy pods to feed it. ...after only a few months, he'd spent hundreds in food for this little critter to keep him alive. if your tank cannot produce enough...
  4. V

what am I? id please

this little dude sprung up out of the eagle eye's.... is this going to grow very much considering how tight his location is relative to the zoas? cheers d.
  5. V

showing off the new Zoas

if anyone wants to ID them, that'd be cool too.... cheers!
  6. V

LPS and Toadstools

if you have a small tank, don't mix. if you have room for it in a big tank separate from the corals you are concerned about... it should be fine.
  7. V

Marineland or Biocube

the JBJ LED tanks come in two levels... the mack daddy ($700) one and the lower one. The lower one is just fine and usually $350 less. food for thought. I always try and buy a used tank as long as it's still running and not neglected. no cycle in period! and often loads of free crap thrown in...
  8. V

Marineland or Biocube

jbj 28g nano comes in LED now for super cheap. the LED's aren't as high end as an upgraded unit, but it's more than enough to support corals and fish without issue. way better than t-5 imo. less than $500 out the door with the stand.... buy a cube skimmer, bob's your uncle.
  9. V

Let's talk frag tanks....

aaaah. gotcha. I was going the display frag tank route. but your idea is cool too!
  10. V

more details Doug!
  11. V

Mistakes You've Made

kind of goes along with the quarantine gig.... friend watching my tank while I'm away for 2 weeks (drops in every 3 days to feed and top up) goes into LFS and sees a cool little paisly fish (mandarin goby) dumps it in my tank with the water from the LFS - bye bye coral. got copper? the tank...
  12. V

So I have some awesome growth in my 29g nano since upgrading to the Modular LED kit at xmas. Now, I'm considering my own frag tank. What are people using for smaller frag tanks? I still have my stock nano T-5 lighting I could rig into some sort of canopy... but chances are I would end up...
  13. V

Fluval Edge mods for Reef Tank?

here's one of the hottest mods I've seen for lighting: Aquaristik it's German, but you get the idea from the pics in the technik section. AWESOME.
  14. V

What am I.....

I "purple up" once a week or so... but the big help was the modular LED upgrade to the tank. pics are with blue actinics off. 26 little LED's on 13 boards is just nuts in there. everything is flourishing.
  15. V

What am I.....

a few pieces I just don't know the proper terms for in my cube. any help would be great. video here of tank: dec31 cube - YouTube any suggestions as to positioning of my pieces to help them better are also appreciated. cheers, d.
  16. V

Fluval Edge mods for Reef Tank?

you will find tons of info on youtube :)
  17. V

Fluval Edge LED Aquarium

from what I have seen, it's cheaper to get the halogen kit and buy some LED upgrade bulbs on ebay. then add a LED strip around the canopy in the center. corals will be ok depending what you put in there.... add a wee little power head, heater and do partial water changes frequently... no...
  18. V

Candy Cane awesomeness.

So I have this amazing candy cane coral. It has at least 100 heads on it. Flourishing well. Especially after my LED upgrade. I am curious from the experts on here..... Should I be pruning this thing a little? It's exploding on top of itself. Obviously it's healthy, but if I cut it back...
  19. V

December 2011 POTM Contest

mine "RED" sea star mixed in there :)