Search results

1. middletonmark

ZEOvit System

Dunno if his brand new one is, but his old one was not using Zeovit.
  2. middletonmark

barebottom ?

I have a couple serpent stars in my BB tank for the last year ... but would avoid sand-sifting [eating] stars and other substrate-sifting animals. Unsure about clams that like the sandbed, just don't know. As my crocea is happy on his rock, I probably need to try another clam for a while :)
  3. middletonmark

Barebottom Check In/Status Report

Very true words ... for the first months of barebottom, I wasn't sure I liked it. The about 6 months in ... I quit looking at the bottom as there was too much pretty stuff above :)
  4. middletonmark

It's definitely changed how I feel about my tank, though it took until now [almost a year later] to really have a `good steady state'. Until recently, it seems like I've only had spurts of growth/color - where now `off' means I'm not able to watch the green slimer grow every week. I still...
  5. middletonmark

To be honest, some of it was having my tank get more mature, my husbandry skills a heck of a lot better [still a way to go]. And having the colonies get bigger ... yet still, it shocks me to look at pics from May/June last year as the tank has just gone crazy. Anyway ... someone else is out...
  6. middletonmark

Thanks ... it does make me giggle just a bit. I got that as `just another coral' ... of course, a pretty one - but nothing special as far as anyone was concerned. Now see that being sold for over double the price on an online aquacultured frags site. [same exact source] But a beautiful...
  7. middletonmark

Hi Scott - I went barebottom in June [from SSB with DSB refugium - both removed], upgraded the skimmer around then too. Obstacles - at first the new skimmer :lol:. Then getting flow tweaked, so settling wasn't happening on the rocks, and that more stuff went over the overflow. Took a...
  8. middletonmark

What do you feed?

Mush for regular use. [cyclops-eeze included within, along with Nori] Mysid if I'm just feeding my huge Maroon.
  9. middletonmark

elegance tank

That `disease' hypothesis would contradict Eric B's research [mentioned above by Gina]. He has a large, multi-tank linked system. He got what seemed healthy specimens which were housed in one tank on the system. Another tank on the system had his 5+ year old elegance - which died at the...
  10. middletonmark

Planning my honeymoon...

Went on a diving honeymoon in Sept/Oct ... a wonderful way to spend the honeymoon. While the DeLoach books weren't the most romantic to have every night at the dinner table ... the wide-eyed wonder and smiles from the diving made the entire trip a dream. Have fun, take pics, and enjoy it :)
  11. middletonmark

OT: RAG sold again

It's a shame. Agree with Witfull ... the less said the better, but I feel sorry for those who had to be involved. Happy to be here, without having to argue with a salt manufacturer about his competitors. Thanks Mods/Staff/Good people!
  12. middletonmark

Emerald Crabs

I'm anomalous, I guess. Emeralds have not eaten or killed anything, and have done a bang-up job on the bubble algae.
  13. middletonmark

Lighting --250w DE ~VS.~ 400w DE

I'd also follow with the `100 hours of first burn are REALLY intense'. Talked to some of the lighting whiz guys at IMAC and I know one of them [Joe?] has a separate ballast/bulb setup that he uses [not in tank] for the first week or two of burn-in to avoid any issues from that initial huge PAR...
  14. middletonmark

always use GFCI?

Curt has a great point about multiple circuits ... power surges around me like to knock out my GFCI's ... leaving the tanks without power. Though when I've had my return pump on a different circuit on one, it doesn't seem to mess with that and thus leaves me with circulation. --- On...
  15. middletonmark

Happy Birthday midletonmark!

That it was ... nice and quiet one. Got to partly re-aquascape my 58 [first weekend back from vacation] which was nice ... then an afternoon with my new wife, and a grill out with friends. Thanks for capping it off just perfectly :)
  16. middletonmark

Project 58!! (Image intense)

Wow, you have one with a center overflow. Super nice! [thanks for making me wish mine had one :lol:] Can't wait to see all the pieces in place, really nicely done.
  17. middletonmark

Hurricane FRANCES

Well said. I'm still saddened to hear of the losses. :(
  18. middletonmark

Choice of two skimmers

I know a friend of mine got Andy from MRC to make a beckett for his Aqua-C after having some issues with it. As you have the Iwaki ... it's not a bad idea. I've had my PM beckett running for 2 months now ... and super happy with it. I've never had a more tweakable skimmer, nor as powerful...
  19. middletonmark

Rapid Tissue Nicrossis?

Yeah, for one more pic ... here's a good demo of red bugs damage. Same coral on the same day - front side is awesome. Back like your over-washed shirt.