Search results

1. megrim

What Type of Aquarium Water Do You Use?

I use tap water. In saying that, my tap water is mountain spring water treated with nothing but ozone. Wonderfully low TDS, but a little on the hard side for my fresh water amazon biotope :(
  2. megrim

Megrim's 130D

Thanks for the linkage to the macro algae, looks like that's what I've got ^_^ I wonder if I can propagate it? It's a funky looking little number. I don't think the nitrates are from feeding, in fact I feel pretty sparingly, every three days or so, about an hour before I do a water change...
  3. megrim

Megrim's 130D

Four (ish) month update!. Added a little forty litre sump and the Lifereef overflow. It's certainly been excellent in the long run, but has taken a LOT of frustrating fiddling to get the whole system just right. Troubles have included getting water levels where I want them in both the...
  4. megrim

Update water pump?

I can't rave enough about Vortechs, I have the MP10Wes, best bucks I ever spent on this tank. And I spent nearly 500 bucks on mine XD The flow is unidirectional but is so wide and diffuse that it doesn't feel anything like other static pumps. I have mine sitting literally less than a metre...
  5. megrim

what powerhead should i put in my red sea 130 -

+1 After adding a lifereef overflow and sump I found I started getting a lot of micro bubble issues. I found that turning off one of the return pumps has helped - bubbles aren't being pulled through into the display. Without the MP10 I wouldn't have been able to do this, the flow it...
  6. megrim

Aiptasia and Peppermint Shrimps

I used to do the same thing with elegance corals, they're easily moved about a tank and they sting the bejeesus out of aiptasia. I never rubbed them directly onto the aiptasia, just placed them next to them and left them for a day or two. My new RSM is softies only and has a few scattered...
  7. megrim

CORALS: Bottom, Mid, Top

Stock lighting. Bottom: Various corallimorphs, various zoas & button polyps, anthelia & an orange fungia. Mid: Xenia, finger leather, cabbage leather (Sinularia dura)(seems unhappy here), zoas, clove polyps and a plain toadstool leather. Top: Xenia, cabbage leather (this one is much...
  8. megrim

Mp10 in RSM250

Gosh the prices in the states are good. I paid $470 AUD for my MP10Wes and that was the cheapest I could find over here!. I'm wondering if it might be worth the effort for me to buy and ship a second over from America and purchase a plug adapter thingy rather than buying one outright here...
  9. megrim

RSM 130...MP10 your views

I initially tried a cheaper option and went for a Xwave nano wavemaker set, I believe they're based off Tunze?. Either way it was dreadful, pumps were large and intrusive, and when I first plugged it in the controller went up in smoke. I was sent out a new one straight away, but it too was...
  10. megrim

Megrim's 130D

Cheers guys, everything is very healthy so far except for one of my Banggais. He's been slowly losing weight and just doesn't seem to be thriving. He was fine through QT, but has steadily lost condition since. In more exciting news I'm ordering my lifereef overflow doodad this week. I have...
  11. megrim

Megrim's 130D

Quick video of how things are coming along. Can't figure out how to embed, I'll just link :) YouTube - Red Sea Max 130D softie tank.
  12. megrim

Skimmer - Which is better?

A lot of people use the Tunze 9002. I'm using the stock skimmer so far, it seems to be working well. Am considering getting a tunze 9002 when I set up a sump though, for comparison if nothing else.
  13. megrim

Megrim's 130D

Two month update! (well 2 months in 2 days time.... close enough). Full tank shot! Lots of new additions. A toadstool leather and it's baby, another toadstool of the yellow variety. Green clove polyps, cabbage corals x 2 and a zoa/polyp rock. Things are starting to look...
  14. megrim

Lights # hours

stock standard lighting for me, 12 hours. 11am 'till 11pm.
  15. megrim

Little .... cup ....... things.

awesome ^_^ cheers guys!
  16. megrim

Ahh I thought they must be something related to zoas. I was/am confused though, every photo I can find of polyps/button polyps/palythoas/protopalythoas all posses an obvious 'stalk' with tentacles and an oral disk on top of the stalk. These have no stalks at all, rather the entire base tissue...
  17. megrim

I've actually had these come in as hitchhikers on twice now. These new ones seem quite happy, and are a lovely pink and green colour combo. I've been googling my brains out but unfortunately any words I use to describe them just brings up zoas or various LPS. Not even sure if they're a...
  18. megrim

Megrim's 130D

Indeed ^_^ One of the first things I learned all those years ago is nothing's gospel in this hobby. I've had tanks next to eachother, same water supply/maintenance/feeding and bioloads show wildly different nitrate readings. I will admit to being converted to the gospel of Vortech though...
  19. megrim

Megrim's 130D

That's an interesting read and an interesting theory. I'll have to keep a closer eye on him. I do have a small frogspawn in there, but I've never seen him attempt to host it, or any other living thing for that matter yet.
  20. megrim

Megrim's 130D

A few little updates, nothing spectacular. Last week I got so angry with my hair algae that I scrubbed a lot of it off with an old toothbrush. It's been a week and whilst it is growing back, it's doing so extremely slowly compared to only a few weeks ago. So that's a step in the right...