Search results

1. ClintRSM130

New Clowns

I'm not too horribly concerned with getting them to mate. I would down the road however like to be able to attach my clowns to a condylactis but my tank isn't ready for one yet
  2. ClintRSM130

New Clowns

Ok then maybe I should disclaim I have nothing else in my tank to eat the fry. Does that mean I'll be up to my eyeballs in clown fish?
  3. ClintRSM130

New Clowns

Last night I went out and purchases 3 clown fish, Fancy Ocillarius actually. No one had a mate so I got 2 females and a male. They are still adjusting to life in the new tank but for some reason three clown fish just doesn't look right to me. I was told by a friend of mine the male will pair...
  4. ClintRSM130

Red Sea Max Full Tank Shot Photos

WOW! very tastefully done. If you don't mind me asking how did you manage that rock structure in your tank. It's hard to believe that huge reef is in a rsm.
  5. ClintRSM130

Calcium off the charts

well the store I work at on the weekends stocks a lot of API and with my discount it just makes sense to get an ALK test from them to match my new Ca test
  6. ClintRSM130

Calcium off the charts

I'm using a red sea test kit that came in a big plastic box of goodies when i bought the tank (hydrometer, salt test kit's etc.) Don't know how old it is. If you think it'll help i'll spring for a new one from API, i think they make a reasonabley priced reasonabley accurate kit, but I won't...
  7. ClintRSM130

Calcium off the charts

For know I'm gona just keep doing my water changes. Last time I checked my ph was 8.2. I think if I keep adding my red sea salt it will help buffer my PH. (disclaimer: i have nothing alive in my tank) I know my salinity's out of wack from the water changes. So I plan on just lowering my Ca...
  8. ClintRSM130

Calcium off the charts

Good news did a water change last night and then tested this morning my Ca dropped 100 ppm! I'm now at 700 just using water changes. I hope to get it fixed the n i'll fix my ALK run a chem kit and should be ready for my first fish!
  9. ClintRSM130

Calcium off the charts

Ok I'm doing a water change right after I post, I have some calcium bicarbonate but really couldn't figure out how to administer it in my 130 specific to my problem. Could anyone help me figure out how much to put in when my Ca is @ 800 and my ALK test reads zero or really low
  10. ClintRSM130

Calcium off the charts

Last night I bought a brand new API Ca test kit and tested my water for the first time since my water change. It was right at 800 again. In my last water change I did get rid of the precipitate off my sand, maybe I just had an ungodly amount of Ca in there and 800's an improvement. I don't know...
  11. ClintRSM130

Calcium off the charts

everytime I test it it's low (ALK)
  12. ClintRSM130

Calcium off the charts

I didn't articulate that very well. It was light and whiteish and after i siphoned the sand got blacker. Like there was something white on it and I got rid of it
  13. ClintRSM130

Calcium off the charts

Thank you for all the suggestions. As of right now I've done a 5 gal. water change. I can only do about 5 gal a day because thats about all the R.O I have access to. I'm hoping to get out later tonight to get a new Ca test kit. I think most of it precipitated cause my sand is a lot darker (I...
  14. ClintRSM130

Calcium off the charts

I do have some precipatate on the bottom of my tank should I do a gravel siphon and a water change? Also with nothing in the tank is it worth it to do a large water change (40% maybe) or should I stick to several smaller ones? Thanks for all the rapid response the RSM lobbys the best on RS IMO!
  15. ClintRSM130

Calcium off the charts

I seem to be making really weird mistakes with my first salt tank. I have been cycling for about 3 weeks now and am starting to get a nice algae growth. I've been looking forward to putting a pair of maroon clowns in. So I went to do a full chemistry on the tank and low behold my Ca is through...
  16. ClintRSM130

Apitasia

I'm helping a professor out with his neglected salt tank. He's got an awful apitasia problem. We just took it over and we tried peppermint shrimp but low and behold he has a clan of killer brittle stars waiting to eat them. I was hoping for some good suggestions on how to get rid of them. We've...
  17. ClintRSM130

Clowns as a first addition

Really? then what is frogspawn? Did anyone with a maroon add say like a wrasse after? I was hoping to get a fairy wrasse for the color
  18. ClintRSM130

A Lot of Ca

Ok thanks for the advice, my problem came from this being my first time setting up a reef and trusting the local "reef guy" won't make that mistake again. i'm gona get ahold of some r/o water mon. and keep doing water changes to drive my ppm down. Should I leave my hbh supplement block in or...
  19. ClintRSM130

Clowns as a first addition

I'm still cycling my tank but I am starting to plan towards my first fish to start adding bio mass to my tank. I don't like damsels, I prefer to start with a clown cause there heartier than most. The pet store has a gorgeous mated pair of maroons. I know there aggressive but how aggressive...
  20. ClintRSM130

A Lot of Ca

I'm in the process of cycling a 34 gal tank. I started it with R/O water and have been working to get my tank going. I used a supplement block and a little purple up by carib sea. Upon checking my tank yesterday I was over 700 ppm in my Ca. I don't have any fish so I can't hurt them. I do have...