Search results

1. GeoSciGuy

Anyone name their clams?

My girlfriend and I named our Derasa "Brazil." ...because this clam has no beard :D
  2. GeoSciGuy

The Dark Hobby; Can We Stop the Devastating Impact of Home Aquaria on Reefs Worldwide

Re: The Dark Hobby; Can We Stop the Devastating Impact of Home Aquaria on Reefs World This is not an academic article - it is an editorial rant (plugging a book to boot). Easy to dismiss.
  3. GeoSciGuy

A cleaning crew

+1 about the snails!
  4. GeoSciGuy

To Emerald crab or not to

I have one big emerald in my 55g, and he's been fine so far. I've had no issues with him damaging any living critters (aside from algae). I have several zoas, palys, and LPS corals, and I've spotted him picking off algae from the rocks at the base of them without the slightest interest in the...
  5. GeoSciGuy

Emerald Crabs - share your stories

I have one, and after a recent molt and several days of hiding, he emerged HUGE. He was the size of a quarter originally, but now I'd estimate that he is more than 2" wide. Its creepy watching those big claws working over the LR, but he's been absolutely peaceful so far. I try to keep him...
  6. GeoSciGuy

how do i tell if my turbo is dead?

There won't be a question - the smell is horrid.
  7. GeoSciGuy

Coralline algae

Interesting reading, especially about the Purple Up - thanks for the info!
  8. GeoSciGuy

Water Flow Question?

Thanks for the thread - I had a very similar question, but this took care of it. Your coral looks great!
  9. GeoSciGuy

Just had to show off my new frogspawn

Wow! What an interesting color.
  10. GeoSciGuy

Let's hear from folks who have experience with Sally Lightfoots...

So far, so good! Thanks again, folks!
  11. GeoSciGuy

Coral keeping

Absolutely right - the Reef Sanctuary has helped me immeasurably, and continues to do so! And to make it easy, here's a link to a great thread: LOOK! Frequently Asked Questions~ Happy reading
  12. GeoSciGuy

Growth Rate & Propagation of Zoa's/Palys

Thanks for the replies, and especially for the photos! I'm going to try my hand at Zoa propagation one of these days...
  13. GeoSciGuy

Let's see some clams!

Thanks =) The black sand creates a wonderful effect in a dark room with the T5s on. Coral florescence really pops. The only problem with the sand is that detritus and bits of broken rock really stand out in contrast to the black. Small price to pay, I suppose. I'm still fiddling with the...
  14. GeoSciGuy

Let's see some clams!

My new derasa! Just shy of 4 inches. (Cook Islands)
  15. GeoSciGuy

Brown Hair Algae

Thanks for posting those two links, guys. Those are helpful.
  16. GeoSciGuy

Growth Rate & Propagation of Zoa's/Palys

I've read many things about Zoa's and Paly's, including that they have a rapid growth rate and small colonies will quickly spread to cover available space on their current rock and onto neighboring rocks. My question is, how fast is 'fast?' Weeks? Months? I am sure that it varies, so what...
  17. GeoSciGuy

ATTN all current and future clam keepers!!

Thanks for this. Are there are any additional in-depth online resources that you'd recommend to a new hobbyist who's considering whether to plan their tank around clams? Beginner how-to's, or 'don't do this' lists etc?
  18. GeoSciGuy

brown & green algae in new rsm tanks

Thanks - this is a good read.
  19. GeoSciGuy

Thanks for the feedback, so far. I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been even a single negative reply. I feel better about introducing one or two to my tank. Its one thing to read conflicting reports from sources that may or may not be reliable, and another thing to hear what experienced...
  20. GeoSciGuy

I've read conflicting versions of whether the Sallys are reef-safe at various websites, books, web-boards (including this forum) - even fish stores seem to disagree. Since research is not clearing the issue up, I want to know what your experiences with the crabs are. No speculation, no "I've...