Search results

1. abugslife

Fish Man's Fish Tank RSM 250

We are off to check out this new store in Berkeley Green Marine Coral - live CB captive-bred coral in Northern California Supposedly they are renowned for their captive breeding. PS Quick question. How many white versus blue lights do you have in your 250? three and three?
  2. abugslife

Hi nanoreefing4fun Yes my son still is determined to be a marine biologist. He asked for Christmas "Marine Invertebrates - A pocketexpert guide"by Shimek PH. D. Fortunately he no longer asks me to read these books to him at bedtime :olsmile:
  3. abugslife

I thought this photo was fun. My son really wanted to play with the fire shrimp and I caught him with his hand in the tank with the shrimp climbing onto his hand. Hmm....
  4. abugslife

Thanks Reefmack. We have been plugging away (survived the great algae disaster and the tank full of kelp) and it looks like our tank has turned the corner and is starting to look quite nice. We do have one odd problem of half the lights being blue and and half white so I'm trying to research...
  5. abugslife

This is thread is to chronicle the journey of FishMan and his fish tank. It is a red sea max 250. (Ps FishMan is a 11 year old boy and his adventures are financed by FishDad).
  6. abugslife

Creating a home for nemo

PS Did I mention my son wants to be a Marine Biologist. Hopefully this tank will help him on his journey.
  7. abugslife

Creating a home for nemo

Here is what the current tank looks like. I have bought a number of 5 gallon tanks which I'm stocking with both sea water and ROS. I getting into a good rhythm of changing 10% each week. I confess I'm still trying to understand the optimal operation of the protein skimmer. Its foaming...
  8. abugslife

Creating a home for nemo

A lot of failure in our tank but Nemo is still alive. The coral is all dead though. After a number of emails to Pinky at RedSeaMax I was able to get the protein skimmer and main filter replaced. By this stage the tank was full of stringy algae and the water was starting to smell so I decided...
  9. abugslife

Creating a home for nemo

I bought some snails as my "algae" eating crew. Hopefully, in a month, the tank will be a lot cleaner. ------------- ps Hi Eric, I loved the link "quarantining fish procedure". It was a great read.
  10. abugslife

Creating a home for nemo

Thanks so much everyone for the warm welcome and tips! I especially appreciated the note about not getting an anemone as I was thinking of buying one but my 10 year old said we weren't ready. I guess he was right. Well I'm faced with my first challenge. The skimmer isn't working. I have tried...
  11. abugslife

Creating a home for nemo

My 11year old son and I have purchased a red sea max 250. We are building a reef for "nemo". The tank has been running for about a month and we have been pouring through the manuals trying to get our heads around RO, protein skimmmers, salinity etc. Here is a snapshot of our clownfish. Wish...
  12. abugslife

First post

My son (11 years) and myself have just bought a red sea max 250 and am looking forward to learning about salt water tanks. Its been running for about a month and we put in a clownfish as a test.