Search results

1. Lonestar

Lunar Sim on Aquacontroller Jr ???

Do any of you folks operate Neptune System's Lunar Sim with an Aquacontroller Jr ? I just received the Sim gifted under the tree, but instructions seem vague, especially not being the gadget geek I aspire to be. Instructions point to installing the Control Input cable to the Aquacontroller, but...
  2. Lonestar

Neptune Alarm Module

I've been shopping online for the CM506 alarm module for my Aquacontroller Jr, but not having luck finding a website that has the product. I find "not available" or "not in stock" so looking for RS input. Thanks in advance!
  3. Lonestar

DT Backing

Just curious what most of you do to hide plumbing, cords, cables, etc on that are revealed on the backside of the tank when viewing the dispay from the front. My better half prefers a mirror type idea, but the 92 gal corner tank we purchased did not have the reflective glass. I'm not entirely...
  4. Lonestar

Tank Upgrade Questions

We are upgrading from 37 gal reef tank to newly purchased 92 gal bowfront corner w/ cherry cabinetry. Over the past couple months we have purchased high end equipment upgrades in anticipation of the upgrade. Now that it's time to break down the old and set up the new, I have a couple questions...
  5. Lonestar

Macroalgae advice please

We are replacing our bio ball sump with a nice refugium. It's been up and running for a few days now with LS & LR rubble in the fuge chamber. Our question is, can chaeto or other macroalgae be placed in the refugium at this time, or should the fuge run for a few more days / weeks before stocking?
  6. Lonestar

Stewardship

I am a novice at reefekeeping, but do take the hobby seriously. I study the books, I google search online, I constantly ask the LFS questions, and I daily browse the RS forums. Sometimes the book information can be a little outdated, the websites can often supply a dozen totally different...
  7. Lonestar

RO Extreme 160

Starting to shop for amenities for a 90 gal. corner bowfront soon to be holiday gift. I've been reading up on the Reef Octopus Extreme 160 and like the ratings. However.........I ask for input from fellow RS members. Good investment or no? Something better in the same price range? Pros and Cons...
  8. Lonestar

Display Upgrade !

I feel fortunate in that my wife has the same passion for marine / reef aquariums as I. She has her eye on this 120 gal. bowfront corner tank and suggested this might be a nice Christmas gift (OH BOY!) This will be a significant upgrade from our current 37 gal, so already know our present pumps...
  9. Lonestar

Red Slime Confusion

We have the tenacious red slime at the bottom of our aquarium sandbed. Water parameters are good (tested by myself and 2 LFSs)Excellent circulation with no dead spots, T5s are only 5 months old, and doubtful we are overfeeding. One LFS tells me to stir up the sandbed and siphon the red stuff...
  10. Lonestar

Powerhead Algae

I have no issue with the coraline algae that has encrusted on my powerheads, however, I have a constant battle with the Green Hair algae on these same powerheads. Nowhere else in the tank....just the powerheads. I've dissassembled and scrubbed, but the darn stuff doesn't want to come off.I fear...
  11. Lonestar

Hermit vs Hammer

There are 3 blue legged hermit crabs that roam my reef and never caused much fuss other than the occasional knocking frags off the LR into the sandbed. HOWEVER......one of the hermits was irritating my beautiful 3 head hammer coral the other day, 2 heads closed up as he/she/it picked at the...
  12. Lonestar

Wavemaker ?

I am intersted in purchasing a wavemaker unit and currently looking at 2 units: Red Sea wavemaker pro, and Reef Fanatic wave creator .....both listed around the same price. I'm looking to see if any of you use either of these products and the pros / cons of the units. I have 2 Koralia Evolution...
  13. Lonestar

Red Slime Algae and Hitchhikers

3.5 months after initial setup, the LR and reef corals are thriving. We are beginning to see animals that apparently hitchhiked with the LS or LR, such as tiny urchins and abalones pacing the glass...I assume these are desirable. However, I am alarmed at these round circles of dark red appearing...
  14. Lonestar

Molting Shrimp?

Question? When a cleaner shrimp sheds it's outer shell in the molting process, is it healthier for the tank to remove the shell, or leave it? A LFS employee tells me to leave it for crabs to eat, but I'm not comfortable with that answer....unless you guys concur.
  15. Lonestar

Cleaner Shrimp vs Duncan Coral

I have a variety of coral in my reef tank that have matured along with the tank, but then I recently introduced a cleaner shrimp (my wife said the clowns needed a companion) and the shrimp constantly irritates the Duncans, causing them to retract. I've attempted target feeding the shrimp in...
  16. Lonestar

Home Exterminator ?

Our yearly home exterminator visited today, and my wife covered the tank & sump with bath towels, but forgot to cover the bucket I store brushes, tank cleaning supplies, spare tubing etc. The RO water is kept in sealed jugs so I am not worried about contamination there. Can the brushes and...
  17. Lonestar

Introducing Corals to the Tank?

My 37 gal tank has been up 5 weeks now, and I've placed a few small beginner corals in on the 4th week (which are doing fine). The LFS employee tells me I can pile as many coral in the tank as I want because they cause no biological load on the tank. I want to pass this by my trusted friends...
  18. Lonestar

Coral Feeding

Another newbee question if you please. The LFS suggested I feed my starter corals Phyto Feast. When adding to the main tank per directions, the skimmer in the sump tank seems to take the stuff right up the tube and dispose of it. Should I power down the skimmer when adding this liquid to the...
  19. Lonestar

Dead Livestock Blues

37 gal saltwater w/ 10 gal sump, Sea Storm skimmer, 40 lbs live rock, 4" depth live sand, PH 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite o, nitrate 0, salinity 1.024, temp 79. The tank has been up and running 4 weeks and cycled nicely. Added a couple clowns, cleaner shrimp, a few snails, and several level one...
  20. Lonestar

New Forum Member / New to Aquatics

My wife and I are new to the aquarium world, just purchased a tank setup 4 weeks ago. Being novices, we have made a mistake or two along the way. We have read many websites and spoke with a few store personnel, and the opinions are so often different as day & night our heads are swimming (no pun...