Search results

1. XeniaLee

Anyone tried out any add-on moonlights?

Just want to follow up on this. I ordered the R2 Moonlights from MarineDepot and they are AWESOME. Easy to use, and a beautiful blue color to watch the creatures at night. I am super happy. Thanks for the tip!
  2. XeniaLee

That's great to know! Thanks!
  3. XeniaLee

I am toying with the idea of getting R2 Moonlight 11000 MC lights for my 46 gallon reef. They have a 4 star review with 50 reviewers on the site I was looking at. they sound cool, but just thought I'd check. I have a great daytime light with 2 actinics and 2 corral sun bulbs going, so...
  4. XeniaLee

New pony owner

She's amazing! congrats!
  5. XeniaLee

lighting for 24" width tank

thanks Uslanja, I was hoping someone would weigh in! I have a 24" zoomed fixture with 2 T5s on my 39 gallon bow front, and I don't think it's quite enough light. I change out the bulbs every 6 months, and clean off the lens every week, but still, some light loving corals seem unimpressed...
  6. XeniaLee

dismayed & discouraged

Oh LemonPeel20! You can't give up! I've had my tank up and running for 1 year, and I've been following your travails on this forum. I hope we've helped you.
  7. XeniaLee

GloFish®

That was a good one! I'm glad Shagon set everyone straight about the glofish. They are not painted or injected.
  8. XeniaLee

Who's eating my crabs' legs?

thanks. I'll search around. today i put a piece of freeze dried krill in the opening of his cave, and he came right down and snagged it, and pulled it back deep into his cave. I was disappointed that he didn't make the pistol sound. But at least I know what he likes to eat (other than crab...
  9. XeniaLee

Update: I've spotted a pistol shrimp in my tank. He's only like 1.5 inches long. My one emerald crab died, and the other one is missing a few more legs, but he still has his claws. How do I catch the pistol shrimp? He always hangs out in the same hole in the live rock. Can I lure him into...
  10. XeniaLee

Pepermint shrimp eat Xenia?

My peppermint shrimp were fun to watch, and never seemed to bother anything in the tank, including my xenia which is thriving. I happen to like Xenia, but I know it's not for everyone. :o
  11. XeniaLee

Getting food for my first clown... suggestions?

This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it Emma! I am relatively new to the hobby, and I didn't know that some people make up their own food. I'm going to try it too. I'm thinking I'll save the little cube tray from the mysis shrimp that I've used up, and use that to freeze my home made...
  12. XeniaLee

I talked to my LFS (they're awesome) and they said that I may have some "bad crab" in there that came with the LR, that's now big enough to attack the crabs. I did have a crab in the LR when I got it 11 months ago, and it was killing the hermits and snails. But I used to see that guy around...
  13. XeniaLee

I'll check my parameters when I get home today. One thing that has changed with the tank, is that it's already dark when I get home now, so the tank is only getting fed once per day. Should I leave the tank lights on for 12 hours to get that second feeding in? Or should I feed the tank in the...
  14. XeniaLee

No kidding -- over the past few weeks, my two emerald crabs are losing limbs and claws. Today I saw that the female has only her two back legs, no claws, so she will starve to death. And the male (who lives way across the tank from her) has his both his claws but only one leg left! :bluemad...
  15. XeniaLee

Help! My bucket of Kent Salt is one solid rock

Wow! thanks so much for the input. I love the slurry idea. It DOES make sense that the mix would be more consistant that way, plus it will be easier to use when I need to mix up batches. coolness!!!
  16. XeniaLee

Help! My bucket of Kent Salt is one solid rock

My huge bucket of salt has turned to one solid rock. I tried using a stainless steel kitchen knife to scrape off the surface, so I could mix up a bucket of water for the tank, but it's going to take a LONG time.:mad: any ideas?
  17. XeniaLee

Fish Names

3 emerald crabs: King Kong (because he hangs on the LR and swings his claws around), Oscar, and Seven (she only has seven legs) Gramma: Max Watchman goby: Obie Goby Yellow head sleeper goby: Moby Goby (but I like the name Sandy that someone else has for one of those) Clown: Carmen and...
  18. XeniaLee

Another ID please

a brittle star!
  19. XeniaLee

crab hitchiker ID

That's cool that you decided to keep him. I had a similar hitchhiker crab that I really liked until he started to grab the snails and hermit crabs and kill and eat them right before my eyes.
  20. XeniaLee

Hydrometer Horror

very cool post! I just now got the refractometer that I ordered off of ebay. Took forever to get here, and it was shipped from only 100 miles from here. Anyhow, I tested my water, and it was 1.024 on the new refractometer, and 1.0245 with my swing arm hydrometer. Not bad! Oh, when I first...