Search results

1. A

Skimmer upgrade and inTank media rack for RSM 130 (not deluxe version)

Advice is much appreciated. I have the Red Sea Max 130 (not the D version). Currently I have the stock skimmer. I would like to add the inTank media rack and the Tunze 9001 (looks like the 9002 is no longer produced?). It is my understanding that these 2 products will fit seamlessly in my...
  2. A

Help ID black spot on dorsal fin of blue tang

I purchased a healthy, 2 inch yellow belly blue tang from my LFS, and put it in my QT where I treated it with treatment dose Cupramine for 2 weeks, as per Lee's and others' recommendation. The fish has been eating a lot and generally behaving very healthy. I closely observed it daily and so...
  3. A

Yellow Belly Blue Tang coloration

Actually, the LFS is buying it sight unseen. I don't have to buy it if I don't want to. To make my questions more specific: if the 3 inch fish does not have a prominent yellow belly yet, in peoples' experience, when can you expect it to develop in terms of size and age.
  4. A

Yellow Belly Blue Tang coloration

My LFS is in the process of ordering a medium sized (3 inches) yellow belly for me, and I am trying to decide if it is worth the price increase, or if I will be stuck with a more expensive fish with a faded belly. So, a few questions: - Yellow Belly Blue Tangs supposedly do not develop their...
  5. A

RSM 130 skimmer question

I've got a RSM 130 (non-deluxe version) with everything stock, including the skimmer. I do use the surface skimmer upgrade, and the water level is just barely above it, so that surface water flows downward into the filter intake. I have low-to-medium bioload with only 3 fish, some soft...
  6. A

Noisy RSM 130 air intake line for stock skimmer

The air intake is quite noisy. If I direct the tubing into the main tank this helps but not enough. I have tried stuffing a small amount of tissue paper into the tubing-- it seems to act as a muffler and helps cut the noise down quite a bit-- but this reduces the air flow below what I want...
  7. A

Miracle Mud in RSM?

Has anyone figured out a way to use Miracle Mud in a RSM without setting up a separate refuge? Would it be possible to put it in a very fine filter sock and put it in the chamber underneath the protein skimmer?
  8. A

Empiric treatment for tangs going into reef tank?

Do you have any insight on whether or not this pathogen is highly transmissible? I was going to accept an algae blenny from my friend but it was in the same tank as this clown.
  9. A

Lee- Do you know what this is? Just appeared on my Clown in the QT. Got the fish from a friend who had it for about a month. I've had him in the QT for about 3 weeks. It's basically a reddish splotch on its right gill. Breathing a little faster than usual.
  10. A

Sick Clownfish, please help ID

Got the fish from a friend who had him for about a month
  11. A

Sick Clownfish, please help ID

My clown just developed this while in the QT. What is it?
  12. A

Thanks for the response Lee. In other posts I think you have mentioned there is no difference between Copper and hyposalinity treatment for MI. Is there a reason you are recommending cupramine rather than hyposalinity for preventative treatment in Acanthurus sp?
  13. A

Just got back from my LFS and the owner suggested not only to quarantine the blue tang I purchased but to treat with copper as well before adding to my reef tank. I thought the quarantine process was to monitor the fish for disease and treat if indicated. I've read that blue tangs have ich so...
  14. A

Hair algae outbreak without excess nutrients

hmm so this must be a common problem when letting a tank run fallow?
  15. A

Thanks for the responses and the literature. I agree that low nutrient levels could be from the algae using it up, but there's no way to prove it is there?. I personally think it's unlikely that enough bacteria have died off during the 1 month fallow period to be responsible for my algae...
  16. A

Bad luck with mexican turbo snails. What am I missing?

yes, but trochus snails are thriving.
  17. A

Newish bulbs, not getting light from windows. Running purigen and chemipure elite. I'm pretty sure its hair algae, but if it is turf, what would that change?
  18. A

I've got a RSM 130 that's about 6 months old. All my fish died due to a marine ich outbreak so I'm letting the tank run fallow for 8 weeks as suggested. Its been about 4 weeks since any fish. All that's in there is about 30 lbs of live rock, a long tentacle anemone, some green star polyps and...
  19. A

Bad luck with mexican turbo snails. What am I missing?

I've never been able to keep mexican turbo snails for very long. Seems like 50% die within a few weeks of adding to the tank and the rest slowly die over the next 3-6 months. And they are never very active. In fact, my trochus snails are much more active. I do a slow drip acclimation process...
  20. A

Overaggressive maroon clown loving anemones to death?

I have a 3 inch maroon clown who is extremely aggressive with anemones. I have gone through many medium-sized BTAs, and have always suspected the clown was just too much for them. They would do well and eat for a few months and then gradually shrink away. So today I bought a large...