Search results

1. lauriepacific

Angelo, The Blue-Spotted Jawfish Video

Thanks Pocky! Good luck with your tank and your jawfish! They're amazing little creatures. :)
  2. lauriepacific

The Bluespot Club

Thanks bluespotjawfish and steved13! I'm glad you enjoyed my first webisode of Reef Tank Gardens. Thanks for the feedback! :)
  3. lauriepacific

Thanks Skyreefer! I appreciate your feedback. Good on you for thinking of the BS Jawfish's needs first. I love conscious reef-keepers like yourself!
  4. lauriepacific

The Bluespot Club

Hi BSJ fans, I just posted my first episode of "Reef Tank Gardens" on YouTube. Here's the summary and link for this video: The Blue-Spotted Jawfish is a "special needs" fish in the marine aquarium. This video introduces this delightful, curious, and personable little fish and explains what...
  5. lauriepacific

Hi Reefers, I just posted my first episode of "Reef Tank Gardens" on YouTube. Here's the summary and link for this video: The Blue-Spotted Jawfish is a "special needs" fish in the marine aquarium. This video introduces this delightful, curious, and personable little fish and explains what...
  6. lauriepacific

Blue Spotted Jawfish Help

My Yellow Tang was pestering my BS Jawfish when I first put him in my tank. I ended up removing the Yellow Tang and putting the Tang in my frag tank. After the Yellow Tang was gone my tank was soooo much more peaceful and my BS Jawfish was way less stressed. Good luck with yours and be sure...
  7. lauriepacific

What makes BSJ want to jump???

Half of my 65 gal. tank is stacked with liverock and when I introduced my BSJ to my tank (at night) he went into the liverock cave and made himself a cozy home. My BSJ hasn't jumped (yet), but I did cover the top of my tank with plastic ground-cover net that lets air and light through. My...
  8. lauriepacific

The gulf coast

Thank you for caring and for bringing up this subject. In terms of marine life this is America's Chernobyl. If I hadn't gotten into this hobby I don't think I'd be thinking about the destruction of the 84% of U.S. coral reef that is being destroyed. I wouldn't have had a relationship to the...
  9. lauriepacific

A different sort of MH light arrangement

jfourn: I haven't tried to photograph this light arrangement in my tank because the difference between the MH side of the tank vs the 50/50 PC side of the tank is subtle...but I see the difference. The best way I can describe it is that the MH side is like noon-day sun and the PC side is more...
  10. lauriepacific

Eric: A 10ft tank will give you lots of opportunity to create interesting lighting effects! I look forward to hearing more about your new tank.
  11. lauriepacific

Attending my first BAYMAC Conference - May 8th! Any suggestions?

Hi Reefers, I'm into my 7th month of reef-keeping and I'm completely enthralled with this amazing new hobby. I spend many hours each day reading and researching info in books and online. On May 8th I'll be attending my very first Marine Aquarium Conference - BAYMAC in Hayward, CA. I'm...
  12. lauriepacific

This is a terrific discussion! Thanks so much for all your feedback. Tank lighting is such an art. I love the idea of creating sunrise and set sequences. Actually in the morning I enjoy turning on my actinic and then watching the MH slowly go from a faint shimmer to full-on light. It's so...
  13. lauriepacific

My Great Ideal on how to move a Tank, What You Think?

You could always put big contractor's garbage bags around the totes to catch any water that spills.
  14. lauriepacific

Hi Reefers, I have a 65 gal reef tank with two 250w MHs, two 50/50 PCs, and another single actinic. One day I had the thought to only turn on the MH on the left side of my tank along with the 50/50 PCs and single actinic. I really like the effect and it's given me a chance to place my...
  15. lauriepacific

Can you help me i.d. these little guys in my sump?

Sencha: Thank you! I believe these are Pineapple Sponges or Scypha Sponges. I'll add some light to my sump which is supposed to kill them. Thanks for your help!
  16. lauriepacific

Can you help me i.d. these little guys in my sump?

Hey there fellow reefers, There are a bunch of little "rice-like" "bugs" in my sump - they're sticking to the sides of the sump tank and they're about the size of a piece of cooked rice. Does anyone know what the are and are they a good thing or something yucky? I've attached a photo...
  17. lauriepacific

New Frag Tank Question

Cool! Thanks Big Al - you're awesome! :)
  18. lauriepacific

New Frag Tank Question

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to understand what would be cycling in this new frag tank. Since the live rock and water are coming from an already cycled tank what would change the chemistry of the water? I know the new filter would collect bacteria, but I always thought that the...
  19. lauriepacific

New Frag Tank Question

I'm getting ready to set-up a 55 gal. frag tank in addition to my 65 gal. display tank. I have a new in-tank filter, a new Remora Aqua C protein skimmer and one powerhead. I'm going to initially use water from my display tank when I do water changes to fill up the frag tank. I bought some...
  20. lauriepacific

Why Do Reef Tanks Crash?

tektite: Thank you! I'll leave my sandbed alone! Phyxius: Major bummer! We live and learn as we go along. Thanks for your feedback.