Search results

1. russbooger

Serious amphipod or something activity!

Hi all Been a bit busy at work as its my busiest time of year, got home this evening, did my usual glass clean and tank check and found lots of amphipod type things belting around the tank, and congregating under the lights. My fish were looking at them with puzzlement, even my firefish, who...
  2. russbooger

Lettuce nudibranch has doubled!

Hello all 2nd post today! The lettuce nudibranch I borrowed from the LFS has just done a very curious thing - its split into two parts. I got him a couple of weeks ago to deal with a stubborn patch of bryopsis and the little chap has done a great job, and a couple of days ago every...
  3. russbooger

Cold corals

Hi all Had a delivery last Friday of a hammer and candy cane corals. The heat packs in the box had failed, and the water temp in the containers was 14 degrees C (57 fahrenheit). I placed the containers in the tank till they were up to the temp of my tank, then drip acclimatised them (approx 1...
  4. russbooger

KH levels - advice needed

Hi all I've just tested my calcium hardness (KH) with an API kit, and my reading has come back at 125ppm. Are my levels too low? Calcium level using an API calcium test is 420ppm. I carry out my 20% water change religiously every friday, and add Microbe Lift master supplement, which...
  5. russbooger

moving xenia - advice needed

Hello everyone My xenia colony has gone from one head to 6 heads in less than two months, and now I want to get rid of some. At the moment its clinging to my live rock, am I ok to just gently tease the bases off and remove them? Thanks all Russ
  6. russbooger

Moving on - coral advice needed

Hi all Ok, my tanks been up and running for 3 months now, maximum fish livestock reached (1 barred goby, 2 common clowns, 1 purple firefish and one tail spot blenny) and the soft corals I've added are thriving (Xenia, Zoas and Star polyps). Nitrate levels are 5ppm and phosphates are zero...
  7. russbooger

Macro algae depleting oxygen - any thoughts?

Hello all I've posted this for information, there has probably been a thread discussing this but here goes.. Just returned from a trip to my LFS to buy a couple more turbos and asked them why they had stripped out all the Caulerpa and Chaeto in their sump tank, to which they replied that...
  8. russbooger

New addition and an unknown hitch hiker - any ideas

Hello all doing my daily inspection with a magnifying glass and found this unusual growth popping out from my live rock - under normal lighting it looks turquoise blue but close up with a flash it looks green. Could be macroalgae of some kind but its stumped me. Any ideas anyone? Looks...
  9. russbooger

First corals - new piccies added

Hi all got my first corals today in the form of a Zoa colony and a couple of nicely coloured Zoa frags and have posted a few pics of them.. nice little green Zoa frag small turquoise Zoa frag Zoa colony with green frag Purple bubble thingy macroalgae shooting well...
  10. russbooger

Where does everyone place their Koralia's?

Hello everyone Just bought my Koralia circulation pump, and I've placed it in the corner on the right hand side by the filter inlet pointing out slightly downward to the middle of the tank - hoping this won't affect waste particles being drawn into the inlet too much. Does anyone have their...
  11. russbooger

TMC V2 Nano Skimmer - anyone got one?

Hello all Not trying to do the reef thing on a shoestring, but at the mo I can't afford a Tunze 9002 as a new heating boiler takes priority over my tank, and although the stock skimmer is sufficing it sounds like a chainsaw submerged in the tank. I saw a TMC V2 nano skimmer at the LFS...
  12. russbooger

first coral choices - advice please!

Hi all My first few inhabitants have settled in nicely, and after a weeks testing the water (ammonia / nitrite 0, nitrate 5ppm) I want to go and add my first coral. I was thinking along the lines of Zoanthids as they appear to be easier to keep than a lot, can anyone recommend how to keep...
  13. russbooger

Hope these photos post

Hello all think I've worked out how to post photos via a mac from photobucket, so here is a bare tank to stocked diary of the last 6 weeks. If there are no photos, I'm very sorry! just got the tank home, ripping it apart for deep cleaning. cleaning all the dust and crap from the...
  14. russbooger

rsm 130 - temperature rising!

Hello all As my newly installed CUC are happily munching their way through the odd patch of algae and generally cleaning up the tank, I'm worried about the continuing rise in temperature. Now its getting a bit cooler in dear old Blighty, my wife has turned the heating on. Now my 130 is...
  15. russbooger

tank cycled, advice needed

Hello all Ok, tank has cycled super quick (9 days) with ammonia and nitrate 0, and 10ppm nitrate (presumably leftovers from the semi cured live rock). Got a nice diatom bloom, and loads of different algae growing out of the rock. Have just done a 30% water change, and was thinking about...
  16. russbooger

Nitrates in RO water

Hi All Just doing my tests while my tank is cycling, and thought I'd test my RO water from my LFS. Nitrate level of between 10 and 50 ppm. I thought RO was supposed to be low or zero nitrate? I'm rather pissy if this is the case as I now will have to carry out a complete water change after...
  17. russbooger

JBL Micromec filter medium

Hi everyone has anyone used JBL Micromec as a biological filtration medium, thinking of swopping with the ceramic media in my RSM. Maybe a split 50/50 with live rock? Thanks - Russ
  18. russbooger

red sea max 130 virgin - return to salt after 21 years

Hi All Taking the marine plunge after a 21 year break.. secured a 2 year old RSM 130 off an auction site, collect tomorrow. Can't set it up yet as the wife will crucify me, but my 3 yr old daughter always looks at marine set-ups in the fish shop when we buy food for her mini fresh tank, so...