Search results

1. Bounce

Survivor story: 5 hours w/o water!

I know! I remember thinking, "Sheesh, I've had fish die in the bag on the way home from the LFS in less than an hour, and this one lived for five without any water!"
  2. Bounce

Green Hair Algae

I've always had great success using "Micro Blue-Leg Hermits" (I get them from Reeftopia) for hair algae on the rockwork. Somewhere in my vast abyss of digital pictures and files I have an image of a recently-introduced herd of MBLHs literally mowing the hair algae off a rock right by where they...
  3. Bounce

Survivor story: 5 hours w/o water!

About three weeks ago I had ordered a pair of Matted Filefish along with a few damsels for my 54 gallon corner tank in the media room that is getting "setup" again after being out of commission for a few months. I put all the fish through my usual acclimation procedure which consists of turning...
  4. Bounce

what type of shrimp would be best for my tnak

I agree on the Cleaner Shrimp. I've always found them to be more 'visible' in the tank than some of the other ornamental shrimp and it's pretty entertaining when they try to clean my hand when I'm rootin' around in the tanks. ;)
  5. Bounce

saltwater reef to freshwater--filtration?

I would just turn the fuge into a wet/dry. I have an 8' 250 gallon FW tank with two 65 gallon tanks connected beneath it for sumps/filters. The first tank is the "wet/dry" (although it's always 90% full of water) and the second is a 'sump' with the return pump. It's really quiet (except for...
  6. Bounce

Sump Help

I prefer drilling the back (bottoms on large tanks are usually tempered) for an overflow over the HOB overflows. The wet/dry filter is in essence a sump by itself. You might, depending on the interior dimensions of the stand, be able to drain the tank into the wet/dry, and then have the...
  7. Bounce

Brand new 40 & 75 Aqueon (All-Glass) tanks in Denton, TX

I was going to use these as sumps under my 250, but ended up going with two 65s instead. I can't return them, so I figured I'd put them up for sale here. I am asking $100 for the 75 gallon (I paid over $150) and $75 for the 40 Breeder (can't find receipt, but I think it was about $100)...
  8. Bounce

drsfostersmith slowest shipping

I've spent a LOT of money over the last 10 years through DFS and have usually been pretty happy with my orders and customer service. It does seem like it takes them an unusually long time to get orders shipped out the last year or so though. I've never really had any major complaints about...
  9. Bounce

Coral Raffle to Fight Cancer!

Congrats Ron and Lynn!!
  10. Bounce

1000+ Gallon Display Plywood/Fiberglass Build

Wow. I really like how it's coming along--especially now that you can get a better picture of what it will look like when it's all finished. I don't think I would have thought of the cement idea for the rockwork. I really like the caves and how you laid out the "terrain." I might have...
  11. Bounce

Female Clarkii trying to adopt a Flower Anemone as a host

lol Agreed. Any one of my clowns always ends up trumping whatever it is bothering them.
  12. Bounce

Thanks for the advice and info. I have repositioned the (really nice) rock that the anemone is on hoping it will move to a smaller one or somewhere else that would make it easier to remove it since there's no way he's letting go! After moving the rock around, the Clarkiis don't seem to be...
  13. Bounce

anything other then a skimmer?

I struck out trying to find a skimmer that would fit in the tiny sump below my 54gal (because it's a 1/4 circle shape tank and stand) so I have set up baffles in the sump with the filter floss that the water HAS to run through before returning to the tank. It has only been running two days but...
  14. Bounce

I have a 7-8" Flower Anemone (Epicystis crucifer) in the aquarium that houses my pair of Clarkii clowns. Just today I noticed my 4" female Clarkii trying to 'nest' in the anemone, and the male has been checking it out as well. I'm worried that if either of them tries too hard that the anemone...
  15. Bounce

An offer I received with a catch

That would be the only thing I would worry about. I used to raise Bearded Dragons and can't think of anything that would have been used that could 'contaminate' the tank. But as BLAKEJOHN mentioned, some tanks out there are designed specifically for animals that do not require an enclosure...
  16. Bounce

Coral Raffle to Fight Cancer!

Ditto. I don't even have a tank set up that I would be able to keep them in anyway. lol
  17. Bounce

pond pumps

I've always used Mag Drive Waterfall Pumps but they'd probably be overkill for a pond that size. Some "pond pumps" come with some sort of pre-filter sponge that can help prevent the pump from clogging but do need to be cleaned/rinsed occasionally. I guess it would also depend on what exactly...
  18. Bounce

1000+ Gallon Display Plywood/Fiberglass Build

Looking good and making progress, Matt! So how long until you get the baby beluga whale in there?
  19. Bounce

Petting fish

What if my dog pets my fish? :lookaroun
  20. Bounce

help please

I type too slow. In my experience the all-in-one strips aren't very accurate. You've got to get the pH back up quickly but gradually. Water changes are probably your best bet.