Search results

1. Tuscaquatics

Sea slug hitchhiker ID...

OK, so I found this little feller crawling around on some of the coral skeletons in my tank. I haven't added any rock or anything like that in at least 2 or 3 months. So I guess he's been hitchhiking for a while. Anybody know what he is? He's about 3/4 of an inch. His body is either...
  2. Tuscaquatics

Damsel won't leave new yellow tang alone!

I just added a small (3 inch) yellow tang to my 55-gallon reef. I have a striped damsel in there that has been there all along. The damsel gets along with my LM blenny and cinnamon clown just fine. But since I added the tang a couple hours ago, the damsel won't leave him alone. He's chasing...
  3. Tuscaquatics

Help me with lighting for my 55

OK. I'm ready to throw down and get proper lighting for my 55-gallon reef. I want to have softies, SPS, LPS, anemones, clams, you name it. I'm really thinking about T5s rather than MH because of the heat issue. The last thing I want to do is get a chiller. Also, I don't want to have to cut...
  4. Tuscaquatics

WTB: 18" 96w PC retro kit for quad bulb SQ pin (::)

I'm looking for a retro kit for a bulb I already have. The bulb is a 96w PC square pin quad 50/50 bulb. My buddy built me a nice canopy for my 10 gallon frag tank and he has this bulb laying around. I need a ballast, endcap and reflector. I could even use an entire fixture and we could...
  5. Tuscaquatics

I lost my Powder Brown Tang

He started getting white specks on him after I got him. I assumed it was ich. So I talked to the guy at my LFS a couple times and he told me that it wasn't ich, but something else that the tangs get from stress, especially the powder browns/blues and even more so in the white face variety. He...
  6. Tuscaquatics

Does xenia like flow or not?

I've read online that they don't really like flow and pulse better when it's calm. I also read that they were "one of the only types of coral that will thrive even right up against a powerhead." The dude at the LFS said moderate. What do you guys/gals think? When I put them in the path of...
  7. Tuscaquatics

Mysterious calcium increase...

OK, I started out my tank using regular Instant Ocean salt. In subsequent water changes I've been using reef crystals to help increase the calcium and magnesium. After my last water change last week, the calcium was at 420. I figured this was good for now and my coralline has been...
  8. Tuscaquatics

So I bought a mandarin...

He was only 14 bucks. I read that pretty much every reef tank has to have one. So I acclimated him via drip method and just put him in my 55-gallon a couple hours ago. He swam under some rockwork and hasn't come out yet. Is he gonna spend all his time under there, or will he come out so I...
  9. Tuscaquatics

Powder brown tang in front of output flow

My powder brown tang keeps hanging out in front of the output flow from the sump return. I've had him about 2 weeks and he seems to be eating well - I give him nori daily. I know these guys are pretty delicate. Is he trying to get more oxygenated water or something? Or maybe I'm being...
  10. Tuscaquatics

How long for polyps to multiply?

Cause I have one on a live rock that I got as a hitchhiker. Pretty sure it's a green button polyp. It hasn't changed much in a few weeks, except maybe the little tentacles are getting longer. Is it gonna just split in half or something?
  11. Tuscaquatics

New to forum-Help with sponge and polyp ID

Hey, people. This is my first post here. I've been looking to join a forum but it was hard to decide on which one. So I ended up here because of the hitchhiker forum. Anyway, here's the deal. I have a 55-gallon that's a FOWLR for now though I'm trying to keep things reef-safe for when I...