Search results

1. M

What type of crab is that

What type of crab is that in the winning picture as I have one in my tank as well and have never been able to find out.
  2. M

Filter/ Water flow

I have an AquaClear 300 filter that I am using for water flow. However I only have Chemipure in the filter basket. You can set the water flow from low to high and I currently have it at the high setting. My questions are the following. Should it be set to high or low? Is having the...
  3. M

Salinity Question

My salinity is currently 1.0275 and would like to get it down to 1.025. I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank. 2 inch sand bed and about 100 lbs of live rock. How much water should I take out and replace with distilled water?
  4. M

How long does it take?

If you have 50 lbs of base/dead rock and seed it with 25lbs of live rock how long would it take before you would consider it live to support a 75 gallon FOWLR?
  5. M

Sand sifting Starfish lost its legs

I bought a sand sifting starfish about 3 months ago and all was good. Just some insight - no new additions or changes to the tank. Bi weekly water changes(30 gallons). All perimeters are good and all other tank mates are doing great. He appears last night and all he has is about 1/2 inch...
  6. M

What brand of Heater to buy?

My heater has a leak and I have removed it as I do not want to electrocute my fish or myself. My question is what brand of heater do you recommend? I have a 75 gallon tank. Any input is greatly appreciated.
  7. M

How long can Saltwater stay in a barrel?

I mix my saltwater in a rubbermaid rubber barrel. Once I am done my water changes I have always dumped out and left over water. My last water change(30 gallons) was 2 weeks ago and I will be doing another 30 tomorrow. I have some extra water(about 4 gallons) in there(tired one day and lazy).So...
  8. M

API Test kits

What do you prefer, the API 5 in 1 test strips or the master test kit? Also will the results vary from one to the other?
  9. M

Adding pre cycled dry rock

Just got some dry/base rock from Marco Rocks and the stuff is awesome. It states that it is pre cycled. My question is, can I just add the rock, soak it in water or do I have to cycle it.
  10. M

Marco Rocks

I need to purchase some more (dry)rock and wanted to know if anyone has purchased the Key largo dry rock from Macro Rocks. The rock looks very porous on their website and wanted to know if any one has ordered from them. 25lbs. of rock for $59 and free shipping sounds pretty sweet.
  11. M

Turn into a small Fuge

Has anyone ever or can I turn my Aquaclear 300 into a small Fuge? And if so how and what to put in there?
  12. M

Nitrates!!!!!!!!!!

OK, here it goes, All my parameters are in order and I have down 2 bi weekly water changes of 33%. No overfeeding. My nitrates are not coming down. The only thing i think it could be is my HOB aquaclear filter. I rinse the sponge but I just don't know if there are still nitrates in there after...
  13. M

Just visible to the naked eye

While looking at my tank I noticed a bunch of movements on top of my sand. They appear to be little creatures, white or clear I can't really tell because they are so SMALL and blend in with the sand. I had my wife look at it to make sure I was not going crazy and she can see it as well.This is...
  14. M

Adding LR to Tank

Hi All, Here it goes, I have just removed my undergravel filter from my fish tank(75 gallon FOWLR) on Wednesday and replaced it with Caribsea dry Argonite Fiji pink reef sand. My nitrates are through the roof even though I did a 50% water changed when I switched over to the sand. My thought...
  15. M

Substrate

Has anyone used Meridian Aquarium substrate by Seachem? And if so, is it any good. Thanks,
  16. M

High Nitrates and Live rock

I have a question, should I put in live rock before or after I remove the nitrates in my tank? Here's the story. 75 gallon tank? Fish only - about 10lbs LR, 40lbs base rock Aquaclear 300 HO filter Undergravel filter with two aquaclear power heads - one recently broke without my knowledge...
  17. M

Sealant for a cracked HO filter

I have an Aquaclear HO filter that has a crack in it that goes maybe a 1/2 inch below the water. It's not leaking yet, but I don't want to wait until it does. I want to seal it from the outside, does anyone have any suggestions on what to use. I was going to use Silicone on the outside. Also...
  18. M

Clown Fish & Anenomes

Are there any clown fish that do not need anemones to live in a tank? I was reading that false Percula clown fish do not need anemones to survive is that correct?
  19. M

What type of sand

I am going to remove my crushed coral and under gravel filters and put in live sand so my question is what type of sand should I use? 75 gallon SWFO with very little live rock Under gravel filter to - Aquac Remora hang on protein skimmer with maxijet -1220 pump AquaClear Power filter 50...
  20. M

Rocks leaning on tank glass

Has anyone ever had their tank crack because of the coral and or rock leaning or touching the glass.