Search results

1. Bagpiper Jim

Black spot on my Blue Tang's fin

I noticed a couple of days ago that my Blue Tang has a black spot on the clear area of his right fin. It is about 1/16 of an inch round, well kind of egg shaped, and looks like a black ink spot. Today he was scratching against the rocks and I can't imagine what it might be. I thought at first he...
  2. Bagpiper Jim

Pineapple Coral or Tooth Coral?

I purchased this coral at my LFS and the gentleman there told me it was a Pineapple Coral and I don't think I have ever seen one that looks like this. The only thing I can find on line is a Tooth Coral which describes this guy to a tee. Let me know what you all think... Thanks, Jim Here is...
  3. Bagpiper Jim

Aiptasia are taking over!

Well, I have tried lemon juice, boiling water, Hydrogen peroxide and Aiptasia-X and still these things have taken over my tank. I am not real keen on peppermint shrimp because I have Zoa's and i hear the shrimp might even feed on them. Part of the problem is the Aiptasia are now growing out of...
  4. Bagpiper Jim

Light timing

For months now I have been running my lights for a total of 10 hours a day. 1 hour with only the 460 Actinic, 8 hours of both 10,000 K Daylight and 460 Actinic and again, 1 hour of only the 460 Actinic. I do have a fair amount of hair algae but with my cleanup crew and grazers, like my tangs, I...
  5. Bagpiper Jim

How often should I feed my fish

I set up an automatic feeder on my tank and have been feeding my fish 3 times a day for months now with no ill effects on the water quality, but when I spoke to the owner of the LFS here in town the other day, he said I should only feed 3 times a week. I understood that the fish seek food all...
  6. Bagpiper Jim

T5 lighting for my 90 gal. reef

Well my 90 gallon tank has been up and running for about 6 months now and with the exception of the typical ich outbreak that took out 3 of my fish, I won't be making that newbie mistake again, the green cup coral and zoanths are doing very well. The one thing I am not very happy with is the...
  7. Bagpiper Jim

Canister filter for 29 gal tank?

Well now that I have a new 29 gallon tank to quarantine my fish in I thought I would try a canister filter and place a HOB skimmer on it. I went to Pet Smart on Friday and picked up a Fluval 205 filter and set it up and the next morning when I got up I was missing about 10 gallons from the tank...
  8. Bagpiper Jim

Can I remove ammonia from quarantine tank?

I had to move all of my fish to a 10 gallon quarantine tank because of an ick problem so I am currently housing 2 tangs, 1 Clown, 5 Chromis and 2 Gobies in a 10 gallon quarantine tank and because there is no biological filtering I have to do 75% water changes daily to keep the ammonia down. I...
  9. Bagpiper Jim

Best time to dose two-part?

Hi all, I got my two-part system the other day and was wondering if there was a "best time" to dose my tank. Should I dose two times a day or just once? I plan on dosing my sump but does it matter if I dose in front of the skimmer or should I do it after? Does any of this really matter at...
  10. Bagpiper Jim

deep sand bed sturing?

I have a DSB that is about 5 inches deep and I was talking to the guy at the LFS today and he told me that I needed to stir my sand bed to allow the sulfides to escape. Don't I want to have an anaerobic layer in a DSB? Why would you disturb the DSB and destroy the reason for having it? Jim
  11. Bagpiper Jim

Best way to remove fish from my tank?

I have decided to move the damsels I have in my 90 gallon tank to smaller one but is there any way to catch them without having to remove a bunch of the rock? These little guys are really fast and they hide like crazy. Please let me know of any tricks that you might know of. Thanks, Jim
  12. Bagpiper Jim

Need info on setting up a 2-part drip system

My tank has been up and running for almost 2 months now and so far so good. Live stock: Cleaner crew consisting of lots of different kinds of snails and hermit crabs. 3 Domino Damsels (Ornery little devils) 6 Chromis 1 Blue Tang 1 Yellow Tang The fish look very healthy with vibrant...
  13. Bagpiper Jim

Fill my calcium reactor with RO/DI water?

I currently have an auto top off switch that tops my sump off with RO/DI water and I was wandering if I could connect my RO/DI feed line to my calcium reactor and allow it to fill my sump with calcium water whenever the auto top off fills the tank. I understand that this will not allow me to...
  14. Bagpiper Jim

Tank cycle??

I have had 50 pounds of LR in my tank for 8 days now (The 100 pounds of dry rock still has not arrived). I have tested the water daily for Nh3, No2 and No3 and all of the tests have been 0.0. I am now starting to see some brown and green algae on the rock and sand. I hope to get the dry rock...
  15. Bagpiper Jim

is this a barnacle?

I got my flashlight out this evening and started exploring the LR I put in my tank the other day and came across this guy. At first it was open and had feathers extended upward but shortly after the light hit it it retracted and closed. I am assuming it is some kind of barnacle. It is actually...
  16. Bagpiper Jim

Can I rinse new sand with tap water?

I will be getting 120 pounds of sugar sized sand today and I thought I would place it in a 30 gallon trash can so I can rinse it with a hose to clear it up before placing it in the tank. I just want to see if it will be OK to rinse it with tap water first if I follow with an RO/DI water rinse...
  17. Bagpiper Jim

Reef tank water test kits

Is there a good "all around" test kit for water testing in a reef tank or should I purchase individual kits for each parameter I need to check. Thanks, Jim
  18. Bagpiper Jim

This better be really good sand!!!

I just ordered 220 pounds of Aragamax Sugar-Sized Sand so I can place a 5 inch DSB in the bottom of my tank. Someone tell me I didn't just spend $220.50 for sand!!! I must be out of my mind! Oh well, it's just money... Jim
  19. Bagpiper Jim

Anyone using this sand?

The only thing I have to get now is the sand. I found this and thought it would be a good one to start out with. it is safe for sifters and is a DSB app. I have been told that about 4 inches is the proper depth. That comes out to about 165 pounds. Please let me know what you all think...
  20. Bagpiper Jim

New Tank build update

Well, I got the trim pieces stained and moved the stand and hood into the house today. I mounted the hood and got the ballasts in it and hung the light. I moved the stand into position and place the sump under it and I could tell right off that I need more room at the top of the front opening so...