Search results

1. Bagpiper Jim

Black spot on my Blue Tang's fin

I noticed a couple of days ago that my Blue Tang has a black spot on the clear area of his right fin. It is about 1/16 of an inch round, well kind of egg shaped, and looks like a black ink spot. Today he was scratching against the rocks and I can't imagine what it might be. I thought at first he...
  2. Bagpiper Jim

Pineapple Coral or Tooth Coral?

This is one of the main reasons I thought it was a Galaxea, if you look closely at the photos I posted you can see a few of the sweepers partially extended. I noticed that they get about 5 or 6 inches long as soon as my accent light comes on in the evening. I am convinced the gentleman at the...
  3. Bagpiper Jim

I think my coral is much closer to the Tooth Coral. It looks like the tentacles on the Torch Coral are much thicker than mine. Aiptasia: Yeah they are getting bad, I posted a thread about taking care of them in the beginners section this morning. I ordered a bottle of Joe's Juice and it...
  4. Bagpiper Jim

I am a novice and when he said Pineapple I looked at him with a very confused look on my face. I asked him if he was sure because I couldn't see anything about it that looked even remotely like a Pineapple. I thought it was a small Mushroom Leather. Jim
  5. Bagpiper Jim

I purchased this coral at my LFS and the gentleman there told me it was a Pineapple Coral and I don't think I have ever seen one that looks like this. The only thing I can find on line is a Tooth Coral which describes this guy to a tee. Let me know what you all think... Thanks, Jim Here is...
  6. Bagpiper Jim

Aiptasia are taking over!

I may give in and give the peppermint shrimp a try. There will certainly be enough Aiptasia for them to eat so I shouldn't have to worry about them munching on my Zoa's. I will keep a close eye on them and if they look like they are going to be a problem then I will put then in my FO tank...
  7. Bagpiper Jim

Aiptasia are taking over!

Well, I have tried lemon juice, boiling water, Hydrogen peroxide and Aiptasia-X and still these things have taken over my tank. I am not real keen on peppermint shrimp because I have Zoa's and i hear the shrimp might even feed on them. Part of the problem is the Aiptasia are now growing out of...
  8. Bagpiper Jim

How often should I feed my fish

Thanks, very good advise... I do supplement with frozen food a couple times a week. I also forgot to mention that I reduced the feedings to twice a day. Jim
  9. Bagpiper Jim

Light timing

For months now I have been running my lights for a total of 10 hours a day. 1 hour with only the 460 Actinic, 8 hours of both 10,000 K Daylight and 460 Actinic and again, 1 hour of only the 460 Actinic. I do have a fair amount of hair algae but with my cleanup crew and grazers, like my tangs, I...
  10. Bagpiper Jim

How often should I feed my fish

I set up an automatic feeder on my tank and have been feeding my fish 3 times a day for months now with no ill effects on the water quality, but when I spoke to the owner of the LFS here in town the other day, he said I should only feed 3 times a week. I understood that the fish seek food all...
  11. Bagpiper Jim

T5 lighting for my 90 gal. reef

Oh that's strange because I went to the Current USA web site and they say their new fixtures do have individual reflectors. Here is what the site has. Nova Extreme T5H0 | Current What's Next
  12. Bagpiper Jim

T5 lighting for my 90 gal. reef

Well my 90 gallon tank has been up and running for about 6 months now and with the exception of the typical ich outbreak that took out 3 of my fish, I won't be making that newbie mistake again, the green cup coral and zoanths are doing very well. The one thing I am not very happy with is the...
  13. Bagpiper Jim

Canister filter for 29 gal tank?

Well now that I have a new 29 gallon tank to quarantine my fish in I thought I would try a canister filter and place a HOB skimmer on it. I went to Pet Smart on Friday and picked up a Fluval 205 filter and set it up and the next morning when I got up I was missing about 10 gallons from the tank...
  14. Bagpiper Jim

Can I remove ammonia from quarantine tank?

Great! What area are you in? I am in Fresno Ca. I played with the Fresno Stag and Thistle Pipe Band for many years but had to take some time off because i wife is ill. I hope to get back with them soon. Jim
  15. Bagpiper Jim

Things are looking up! I went over to Pet Smart and picked up a 29 gal. starter tank for $130.00 I already had 30 gallons of salt mixed and ready to go so after cleaning the new tank I filled it with salt water, captured the 2 tangs and the clown (Keep in mind that the tangs are only about 2 1/2...
  16. Bagpiper Jim

I treated them for the ich last week using Nox-Ich and they look fantastic. They all seem to be happy and healthy. I was concerned about putting them in such a small tank but it’s all I have on hand. I will get a larger 20 gallon tank today and split them up. I can put some filter cloth and AC...
  17. Bagpiper Jim

I had to move all of my fish to a 10 gallon quarantine tank because of an ick problem so I am currently housing 2 tangs, 1 Clown, 5 Chromis and 2 Gobies in a 10 gallon quarantine tank and because there is no biological filtering I have to do 75% water changes daily to keep the ammonia down. I...
  18. Bagpiper Jim

Best time to dose two-part?

I got the smaller dosing pumps that Bulk Reef Supply sells. They dose at about 1.9 ml/min. Drew's Doser Peristaltic Dosing Pump Bulk Reef Supply Jim
  19. Bagpiper Jim

Thanks for the info. It's good to hear that the articles but Holmes-Farley are good ones as I am a Holmes myself. Maybe Randy is a cousin or something... Jim
  20. Bagpiper Jim

Thanks for the info... That really helped! Jim