Search results

1. A

acemow's 30g freshy

Just started a 30g freshwater, low light plants for now until I upgrade lighting, flourite substrate accented with river rock and black gravel, three mickey mouse platies in, day four of cycle. Equipment, two HOB filters. Here are before pics and as progressing, still adding to stand which is...
  2. A

goodbye to midas blenny

Just found my midas blenny RIP in the tank. THe CUC is having at it right now but I need to find a way to reach it to take the fishy out. It's the first fish loss in over a year. The other fish have been in tank a couple years. No apparent reason for the loss except maybe that, I believe, the...
  3. A

FINALLY my new midas blenny!!

I've been waiting months to find one of these locally that was a quality fish. YAY!! I'm soooo happy!! Pics aren't great because it's hard to get focus in QT, just a little something to go with this thread
  4. A

Aquatic Auctions

I just got a mauve lobophyllia colony from Aquatic Auctions. It was a great success! They hit a snag just after I won the coral and they notified me right away, were very professional and prompt. Coral arrived in excellent condition, just like the photo and description. I will use them again and...
  5. A

my new mauve lobe coral!!

Just got this mauve lobophyllia from Aquatic Auctions. Pic is taken under 14k MH, it's opening well and eating well, super cool bright orange in center around mouths and mauve/teal on outer polyps, nice sized colony:dance:
  6. A

Sun Coral

Just picked up a Sun Coral, first pic is about three minutes after putting in tank, next is an hour and a half later, feeding time, lights out (used flash) I needed some color in my tank. I have to put a basket over coral during feeding so each polyp gets food and the rest of the critters can't...
  7. A

Super nervous!!

I am so obsessed with my tank! I am out of town for six days and left the care of my 75g tank and its inhabitants with my family. I'm nervous, even though I premade and premeasured the food for the critters, checked, double checked, triple checked my timers, labeled everything, checked the...
  8. A

DIY jump guard

A couple pics of jump guard, top of tank, guard itself, then guard on tank. We made two for easy removal. Had stuff laying around the house, made wood frame, stapled plastic gutter guard to frame. Gutter guard is only 6" wide, needed three strips, size of guard 23 1/2" X 18". Gutter guard is...
  9. A

do serpent stars eat fish?

I have a tan-ish beige-ish serpent starfish, been in tank about five months, it's grown a lot. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced them eating fish. Mine just parked himself over an opening that goes down to SB, between two rocks, no fish ever go there but he is in the cave the clown likes...
  10. A

LR sitting on sand

I've posted before that my 75g was set up in my house before it became "mine", and I knew nothing about reef tanks. I am getting very nervous about the fact that the LR is scaped and set up on top of about 2 and a half inches of sand, it's only the base pieces that are pushed down into sand a...
  11. A

Flame Algae

I have a new flame algae macro in my DT, I keep seeing one of my Mexican Turbo snails on it and a bristle worm last night. Anyone know if these critters are eating the algae or possibly just something on it? I can't tell by looking yet. I will keep watching it. Thanks! Ann Marie
  12. A

Another great shipment!

Just received my order of snails and a few macros! They are awesome, as always!! Kudos to reefcleaners.org! Thanks, Ann Marie
  13. A

picked these up

I just put frogspawn in DT today, Joe the Coral acro. has been in DT a week. I liked the colors on the acro.
  14. A

WOW, I'm such a newb!

I have been researching a lot to figure out my protein skimmer, don't know what kind it is, I'm totally NOT mechanically inclined, couldn't grasp the concept of how it even works. Tonight my husband found a flow adjuster that sticks into the air intake tube. I just saw it laying in bottom of my...
  15. A

wattage question

I have a 65k cfl spiral bulb from Lowe's on my chaeto and mangrove fuge. It's 40 watts (only uses 9w elec.) is the wattage too high for chaeto? Fuge has been up in sump chamber for only 17 days. Ballpark on when I'd notice some growth? One more question: How far from chaeto should the light...
  16. A

nitrite stress symptoms?

I have a thread already started about nitrItes in QT in another forum, but thought this question would be better here: What signs and symptoms should I be watching for if the low nitrite reading starts to stress small sixline wrasse in 5g QT?
  17. A

nitrites in QT?

I have a 5g QT with a small sixline wrasse in it, HOB trickle filter with filter floss I keep in sump of DT to keep it seeded. I still show about .10 nitrites even after 2-3g WC. Params are Temp 79, pH 8.3, ammon. 0, SG 1.024, calcium 480, dkh 9, phos. 0, nitrates 10ppm (before WC). Only PVC...
  18. A

safe adhesive?

Sorry I can't find post to answer my question: What is safe to use to adhere my PVC pieces to create hiding place for my QT? Thanks, Ann Marie
  19. A

will this raise nitrates?

I have an acrylic wet/dry two chamber sump. Divider in center ends 3 inches from bottom, there is a 2 inch thick black sponge set in that opening at bottom. Could that raise nitrates? I do clean the sponge and there are a bunch of copepods in it. Do I need the sponge? I am storing some extra...
  20. A

fishy fashion police

This morning, fed a bit of cyclopese, as usual, Sailfin and Percula had some. I started getting food for the two fish and suddenly the Tang puffed up, went way behind rock, Perc followed, they were acting freaked out! They are piggy fish and never miss eating. Thought something was really...