Search results

1. hickoryhollow

Starfish are just tooooo funny

Came in tonight to find my little buddy doing what he loves best. Sunbathing!!!!
  2. hickoryhollow

From a 80 gal to a 20 gal

I've recently moved from a 80 gal to a 20 gal. What a world of difference! No more algae problems, fish are happier and it even looks like a little Sea World of it's own with alot of color and activity going on. Here are some pics, hope you enjoy them. It has been up and running now for a week.
  3. hickoryhollow

Tank Crash

Well happy 4th in our househol....:( I got up this morning and to my surprise, 90 % of my tank crashed. I found the water was a milky color ( Really thick ) and I found my shrimp, tang, lawnmower blenny, tiger cucumbers and Rock Anemone all went to a better place. My readings were out the roof...
  4. hickoryhollow

Clear water

I've noticed on here that everyones tanks are crystal clear. I just can't seem to get the hang of the crystal clear water. Seems like my tank in the last year has been really really clear 2 times and the other times either I have bubbles or a whitish foggy water. What are you guys doing dif...
  5. hickoryhollow

Cloudy water

What can cause a tank to get cloudy overnight? It's knda whitish cloudy. If that makes any since. Also my readings are good.
  6. hickoryhollow

Little black feathery deal

Hi all, Just noticed last night that when the lights go out the critters come out to play. I have about 3 of these little critters barely sticking something feathery out this tiny hole in the rock. The hole is probably no bigger than a pencil mark period. When you go to touch it it retreats...
  7. hickoryhollow

Tank Readings

Ok!!!! Here goes- Phos. 0.25 Nitra. 20 Cal. 520 Carbo. 7 (125.3 ppm) Amon. 0 Granddaughter "Britini", Dumps Fish food, Fish food and more Fish food. Priceless!!!! Is this due for a water change? Dumb Question... Right?
  8. hickoryhollow

Anemone HELP!!!!!!

I have a Rock Anemone and he's been in the tank now for about 9 months ( My tank is 1.5Years). Recently I noticed he was really balled up one night then he stretched way out then he sat back down in his spot. He's eating just fine and being pretty active. But now I've noticed he's getting...
  9. hickoryhollow

Trying to find some EggCrate

I think i'm pronouncing this right. Does anyone know where I can purchase some Egg Crate sheets from? And is this really what they are called or is it something else? And what is it's real purpose? Thanks
  10. hickoryhollow

Trying to find some egg crate

I think i'm pronouncing this right. Does anyone know where I can purchase some Egg Crate sheets from? And is this really what they are called or is it something else? And what is it's real purpose? Thanks
  11. hickoryhollow

I think I have Algae figured out.

I keep on having these Algae blooms and such all the time. No matter what kind of cleaning and treating I do, there comes the Algae. All my readings are right on. All the water changes are done on time. Everything is happy (even the algae). Now this has been going on for about 2 months now and...
  12. hickoryhollow

plumbing a sump and a refugium together.

I am getting ready to install a refug for my system. I have a 80 gal d/t, a 20 gal tall glass sump and a 10 gal glass tank I want to use for a refug. I also have a 50 gal spare tank that could be used. Is the 10 gallon too small for a refug on a 80 gal d/t or should I use the 50 gal for the...
  13. hickoryhollow

Sump refug

How would you plumb a sump and a refug together?
  14. hickoryhollow

Very Very discouraged.

I've tried everything in my power. I've sunk a ton of money and time to baby this tank all the way and what do I get for my effort? Algae that just will not go away. I thought for my hard work I would get rewarded. But instead I keep on getting punished. What have I done to deserve all this...
  15. hickoryhollow

Can't get rid of the Brown Stuff

I have had an outbreak of a few different Brown Algaes. I have the famous Diatom. The pain in the butt slimy stringy that holds bubbles kind of Algae. I have done numerous water changes in the past 3 months and have put in a phosban bag and a chemi pure bag. Nothing seems to be getting rid of...
  16. hickoryhollow

Test kit

What would be a good test kit to get at a decent price. Need one that tests for everything. Thanks
  17. hickoryhollow

Rain Water

I was standing outside today enjoy a nice little Rain Shower and a idea came across. Is it possible to use rain water in a Salt Water tank? I thought maybe with all the nutrients that rain has it would be ok. Just a thought!!!!!! Thanks
  18. hickoryhollow

SeaShells?

We went on vacation last year and collected a whole bunch of sea shells. Will this be ok to put into my tank? And if it is what would be the process of curing these before putting them in? Thanks
  19. hickoryhollow

Return Flow

Just turned on my sump last night and the pressure was blowing sand around everything and giving out alot of big bubbles and micro bubbles. What can I do to stop this and control the direction of my flow better? I have a 80 gallon tank and the overflow pvc is 1 1/2 inch and the return is 1 inch...
  20. hickoryhollow

Ph ?

I have a situation in my tank. First I got the cyano junk then I got the really brown slimy algae all over everything. That is starting to clear up. Treated the cyano and it's all gone but for a few tiny spots. Now my nitrites went up and phosphates also. In the middle of controlling that. Now...