Search results

1. Smiley1

Transporting corals by plane?

I am flying to the east coast on a vacation to my hometown and would like to bring back some frags from a friends tank. Is there a way that I can bring them back on the plane with me?? If so, what are the steps i need to take to be able to do this? I dont want to ship them via ups or fedex...
  2. Smiley1

Substrate questions

Ive been pondering this idea for a while but am starting to have multiple questions. Right now I have a 2" sand bed of fine sand in a 55g. I want to increase the depth to 3". I have a 40lb bag of crushed coral that I was thinking about adding to add some "structure" to the sand bed. My plan is...
  3. Smiley1

Substrates - Sand vs CC

Ive been pondering this idea for a while but am starting to have multiple questions. Right now I have a 2" sand bed of fine sand in a 55g. I want to increase the depth to 3". I have a 40lb bag of crushed coral that I was thinking about adding to add some "structure" to the sand bed. My plan...
  4. Smiley1

Which tang fo a 55?

Which tang would be best for a 55g? or a better question is - Which tang is the smallest at adult size?
  5. Smiley1

Light power vs color

Do corals care what color bulbs are used? Say for instance I have 2oo watts of 6500k CF. I also have 200 watts of 10000k PC. Will the corals care? I know the 10000k are more of a bluer/whiter light and the 6500k are a yellower light, but do the corals care? According to a plant...
  6. Smiley1

Baymac?

7. Smiley1

OMG....Help with macro!!

So..... last night I was doing some reading and saw a link to Reef Cleaners website. I checked it out and was amazed at the awesome prices and shipping. Then I saw some of the macros. I noticed a ton of em were on the "Illegal in California" list. One of which is one that I got with some...
  8. Smiley1

Elmos World and Fish Care....

I just saw Elmo dump a small container full of fish food into his goldfish bowl and say that "Fish love a lot of food". He also said that fish need fresh water to live. I am trying to teach my daughter about the proper ways of fish care and now I got Elmo teaching her different. How do i...
  9. Smiley1

East Bay SF...?

Anyone located in the east bay area that I might be able to trade/buy/barter some frags with? The LFS either is very expensive or he has no clue what he has. Plus all his corals looks like they came from the bottom of bay after the last oil spill.
  10. Smiley1

Pump for Red Sea Berlin Skimmer?

I need to buy one pump in order to get my sump running. Either a ps pump or a return pump. Right now I have this skimmer but is missing a pump. I also have a Quiet One 3000. Should I buy a new return pump and use the 3000 for my PS or should I buy a different pump for my PS and use the...
  11. Smiley1

ID this Polyp?

I have this polyp on a rock. It only comes out at night, have had it for over 6 months, and it hasnt spread anywhere. It hasnt moved, it is mostly light green with brown.
  12. Smiley1

Smileys Reef

So heres my deal. I My beginning adventures landed me into a job with a well known aquarium pharmaceutical company a while back. I had no clue about aquariums but I always loved fish. So in my office I had this tank with the craziest filtration system(pic #1). I intrigued me hardcore. So...
  13. Smiley1

Everything You Need to Know about Lighting

Found this link while searching for info on lighting. Aquarium Lighting; Kelvin, Nanometers, PAR, Bulb, Watt, MH, LED, light basics.
  14. Smiley1

DIY Light?

I found a 500 watt metal halide light for 15 bucks at a local store. It puts out 10,200 lumens and is full spectrum. Would this be a sufficient light for a reef? If so, what depth of a tank should it be used on?
  15. Smiley1

Low Light Corals?

I have 130 watts of coralife pcs on a 55 gallon. What corals will live under these lights? Right now I have Duncans, some zoas, a kenya, a yellow leather, and some neon green softy. What other types can I put in there with the low light levels?
  16. Smiley1

Dieing Pocilla?

I got a green Pocillapora from the LFS the other day for dirt cheap. They had tons of them and they all looked great so I was able to get it dirt cheap. Needless to say, the day after I put it in my tank, the polyps started retracting. Last night after the lights went out, I noticed my...
  17. Smiley1

Lighting questions

55 Gallon Aquarium 24" Coralife 65w fixture x2 = 130w total I want to upgrade to bigger lights and have some questions. 1. What are the benefits and differences between T-5 and PC? 2. Thoughts on Odyssea lights? I have been looking at e-bay for some new lights and I see Odyssea...
  18. Smiley1

Super glue?

I have heard people talking about using super glue to attach coral frags to rocks and such. I guess I am curious to know what super glues can be used and with what types of corals it can be used on. Thanks in advance!!
  19. Smiley1

Where's the party?

So anywayzzzz...... I am kinda new and kinda old to the reef world and figured I should let you all meet me. I started off by getting slammed into a job for a company that manufactured aquarium medications a while back. I had no clue about aquariums nor that you could put fish in them. I...