Search results

1. DStaelens

HELP! Red Sea Refractometer Calibration

I have the same issue with mine, I can calibrate it and if I walk into another room with a temperature difference, it will swing quickly by a few ppm. I had an old generic one that would be rock solid. I would check it once a month at most and it was always spot on. Too bad I dropped it on a...
  2. DStaelens

Sick clown advice

Thanks Tonysi
  3. DStaelens

Sick clown advice

@Oxylebius Thank you for the links and help. The other fish seem to be doing fine, they are all eating. I have been watching the smaller clown to see if he has been showing any signs, but knock on wood so far he has been eating well, and his colors have actually been coming in brighter than...
  4. DStaelens

Sick clown advice

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately she didn't make it through the night. I was pretty attached to that fish. It used to swim into the palm of my hand and rub around in it when I was cleaning the tank :-(
  5. DStaelens

Sick clown advice

Hello, it's been a long time since I've been active on the site.... Anyway, my old clownfish is having a rough spell. I was doing a lot of travel on the old job and to say the tank fell into disarray is an understatement. The nitrates spiked to levels unreadable with an API kit, but the clown...
  6. DStaelens

Just want to give a thumbs up to mrcoral.com

Had a great experience with my order as well. Only loss I had out of a large order was some zoas. Everything else is doing excellent.
  7. DStaelens

Cheep RODI

+1 Filter Guys!
  8. DStaelens

RO/DI unit..quick opinion needed

Been working with these guys and they provide excellent help and advice. The Filter Guys They've always answered any questions I've had even when it wasn't totally their hardware I've been working with.
  9. DStaelens

Sump/refugium question

I'm setting up a new 75 gallon tank with a 30 gallon refugium underneath it, with a Bubble Magus Skimmer that will handle up to 150 gallons. Right next to where I am setting this up, is a 33 gallon hex where I keep damsels and some nasty hermits, and other fish that have gotten too nasty for my...
  10. DStaelens

why zoos so expensive... help a veteran out here boys...

I've got a ton of purple mushrooms if you ever want any. They're taking over on my 125. I was going to frag my cabbage leather, some shrooms, and some pink skirt zoas and take them in sometime soon.
  11. DStaelens

Wow, small world! I'll be heading back in a couple weeks. Setting up a 3'rd tank soon. A 75 gallon for the wife. ABC built me a sweet refugium for it. I'm seriously going to need to look at a dehumidifier soon..... A 125, a 33 for my evil damsels I love so much, a few small ones for...
  12. DStaelens

Don't know what part of Central NY you're from, I've had really good luck with ABC Reefs in Syracuse. Good enough I drive 1 hour over there. ;)
  13. DStaelens

Copperband Butterflies in a reef tank?

I had a Copperband for quite a while in mine , it was a bit tricky to get him to eat at first. He ate all the feather dusters, I do have clams, and once in a while he would pick at them, but never too bad. I once put a very small clam in after him, and that one he tore into fast.
  14. DStaelens

Severe boneheaded mistake with Mixing water

I'm wondering if something like this would be a better way to go, but I wonder if there's any of the plastic leaching issues with this type of thing.... Plastic-Mart - Plastic Storage Tank *FREE SHIPPING ON THIS ITEM* : 40 Gallon Vertical Poly Storage Tank
  15. DStaelens

I looked at those before, but with 3 tanks, the cost was a little too high. Now that I at least know the cause of it, hopefully I can get it under control without it. If I let it generate, mix, and use by the next day, it should avoid the issue.
  16. DStaelens

I clean the saltwater can out after each use, but wasn't on the RO/DI. I have one can specifically for the saltwater, and one that gets refreshed with the RO/DI water that I transfer over to the salt water barrel with a small pump, and I let it regenerate for top off water. I've got a 125, a...
  17. DStaelens

Yeah, tested the water directly out of the unit and zero readings, it looks fine. It's only after the water sits in the brute container for 4-5 days does it start up, and then it goes fast.
  18. DStaelens

Sometimes I make myself so mad! :banghead: I've been battling high nitrates for quite a while, cut way down on feeding, increased the number and amount of water changes, etc., and still couldn't get them down. Lost several corals, fish and shrimp along the way. I tested the new saltwater...
  19. DStaelens

Sudden death in 2 fish

I'm having this issue myself now. Didn't move anything though. Lost a fox face, and bullet goby, a Kole tang, and a Bangai on separate days. I've had them for a year and a half so far. They look good, eat well, then suddenly their bodies seize up, and within an hour they're dead. Nitrate is...
  20. DStaelens

Scared to travel

Will be leaving mine for 8 days coming up quick. Going to St. Thomas/St. Johns to do some diving and see what real reefs look like for the first time! But, I'm nervous as well about the two tanks. What do the rest of you use to keep your portions in? I was thinking about getting a couple...