Search results

1. J

Unhappy bubble coral

No I sure haven't. I was told it would both photosynthesis and filter feed. I'm going to try moving it somewhere on the bottom with medium flow and try target feeding it some mysis and cyclopeze.
  2. J

Unhappy bubble coral

I have a green bubble coral that's been in my tank for 5-6 months now with no problems. For the past 7-10 days it's been really unhappy, refusing to really expand it's bubbles. I figured it was cranky since I'm due for a water change, but I tested my water and found Nitrates 5ppm, Nitrites 0...
  3. J

Established clownfish suddenly start fighting?

I've had a pair of mis-bar clowns in my tank for about six months now. Both were purchased at the same time from my lfs and were within 25% of each others size when I got them (hoping to get male/female). They were fine in quarantine for a month and they've been fine in my DT for five months...
  4. J

Chiller Suggestions

That would certainly be too much of an eye sore. The tank is on an interior wall that's shared between the garage and living room (hence why I'm begging to do a through the wall plumbing), but the closest window is all the way across the room. I guess if it really heats up the room I can use...
  5. J

Chiller Suggestions

That's what I'm worried about. Right now the tank and all equipment is in my living room. If I lose the negotiations to do a through the wall plumbing,the tank will remain in the living room with no real way to vent heat from the chiller to the outside world.
  6. J

Chiller Suggestions

I recently switched my lights to a set of Corallife 2 x 250 HQI metal hallides. Of course with that comes the expected water temperature increase. Right now it's not a problem as my heater simply isn't coming on, and the temp is staying between 79 - 82 throughout the day. However once spring...
  7. J

Acclimating tank from T5's to MH

What's the best way to acclimate fish and corals when switching from T5's to Metal Hallide fixtures? I'm afraid if I just slap the Mh's on the tank it'll severely bleach or kill my rics, zoas and other soft corals.
  8. J

MH Fixture 2x 150w or 2 x 250w?

I originally purchased a 48" T5 fixture that I've had nothing but trouble with. The Vendor offered me the option to return the fixture and get another and I've been leaning towards of a Corallife Aqualight Pro but I cannot decide between the 2x150w or 2x250w versions. I currently have a 75...
  9. J

Nova Extreme Pro T-5

I ordered a Nova Extreme Pro 48" 6 bulb setup in August of 2008. Less than 3 months into owning it two bulbs in a row failed to light and one of the support rails for the legs broke. Current Usa support was terrible. They wouldn't return emails or phone calls, when I finally was able to get...
  10. J

Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin Is that because running the entire overflow through it would be too much flow?
  11. J

Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin I'm definitely interested in trying this out for my 75g with a 20g sump. Can I setup an in sump waterfall type, that's gravity fed via the overflow drain line, or would I need have it pump fed?
  12. J

How to best setup for proper flow?

I have my 75g going with a 20g sump with a quietone 4400hh pushing about 625gph based on the headloss calculator. I also have 2 Koralia 2's for flow. Here is a pic of the tank with one of the Koralia's in (the other was pulled for my salt mixing tub, pending arrival of a replacement powerhead...
  13. J

Getting a snowflake eel to eat

Thanks for the info Irishrose. He's in a 12 gallon QT tank at the moment. No other fish, just some live rock and pvc tubing. He will smell at the food, just not take it off the tongs. Next feeding attempt I will try putting some of the shrimp on the bottom of the tank and leaving it for 10 -...
  14. J

I've been offering mine chunks of shimp purchased at the local market as well as chunks of fresh scalop. I've tried soaking it in Garlic Extreme or Selcon before hand and if he doesn't see the hemostats he will come and at least investigate it. So I'm thinking partially that the hemos are...
  15. J

Re: Getting a snowflake to eat BigJay: I'll try leaving food on the bottom for him and see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion. Tippman: I thought the hemo's might be freaking him out, but I couldn't think of any better alternative. I'll swing by a tap plastics and get a quarter inch...
  16. J

I have a small 10 - 12" snowflake in my quarantine tank. He was feeding before I got him but won't eat for me. He has plenty of hiding spots and at night I find him out what appears to be actively foraging. I've tried offering him chunks of scalop and shrimp with or without Garlic Extreme...
  17. J

Snowflake quarantine question

I'm going to be quarantining a snowflake eel in a 12 gallon bare tank. I had planned on putting in a 1' length of inch and a half pvc tubing weighed down by a small amount of live rock for him to hide in. Is this going to provide adaquate enough shelter for him to not be totally stressed out...
  18. J

How far into the cycle am I?

I have a 75g filled with ro/di water, the live rock I had circulating in rubbermade tubs with powerheads and heaters also using ro/di water. I recently moved all the live rock into my display tank, and set it up with "live sand" in a bag with a biological activator. It's been up and running...
  19. J

Drastic Salinity Changes?

I had to fill it all the way up in order to mix the saltwater or the return pump would have sucked it dry. Fortunately I was already planning on shutting off the pumps and siphoning out some of the water before I started adding the LR ;)
  20. J

Drastic Salinity Changes?

I recently filled my 75 gallon tank and since I had 50' of airline tubing I decided to just fill the tank directly from my RO/DI unit and then mix the salt once it was full. Once full I started mixing salt, put in the appropriate amount and then let it agitate for over 24 hours. I then...