Search results

1. largo

lighting redesign

Initially my tank (265g) had 3 spider reflectors running 1 400/20k and 2 250/20k bulbs and I'm running a 660 with 16' of actinic VHO's and 4 small lunar lights. I just upgraded to luminarc reflectors and added another 400/20k. Problem is I have 9 plugs on strip timers to coordinate it all...
  2. largo

club benefits

I'm trying to find out what benefits local reef clubs are offering their members and how much, if any, due's are collected
  3. largo

easy water change methods

I'm trying to simplify my w/c method. Now I run a mag9 on one end of a water hose throw it in the tank and measure the output into a 20g container ( I do about 100g w/c on my 300g system). Then I totally turn the hose around throwing the pump in my makeup container and pumping new water in...
  4. largo

will this work?

My main return pump is t'd off and feeds the two main returns and my chiller. The chiller then returns the chilled water to the main display via a spray bar in the bottom of the tank. My chiller sits out on my patio and the spaflex runs about 15 ft. thru my walls and out the side of the house...
  5. largo

Microbacter7 v/s prodibio digest

I'm about to start using prodibio's biodigest only but in addition to carbon dosing to help lower my phosphates. While having trouble finding the prodibio locally I had a LFS recommend brightwells MicroBacter7 as a replacement. Can anyone compare contrast these two products for me?
  6. largo

CA reactor not what I expected

I have a 265g sps dominated tank which means I have about 25-30 frags of various medium sizes. In Dec. I added a Geo618 ( Calcium Reactor 618 ), pinpoint ph controller, and this reg ( AQUARIUMPLANTS.COM's Co2 Regulator) ) Anyway....I've tried dialing in this effluate and BMP ever since and...
  7. largo

icecap help

OK I"m getting irritated. I have to remove my whole 7' long canopy to work on my ice cap ballast because it stopped working. Long story short it has a new fuse and a new wiring harness thanks to my local LFS. Still won't light up comes on for a second shuts down. We sent the ballast to...
  8. largo

better PE

I have been keeping sps almost 2 years now and have about 28 varieties of them. My problem - if you want to call it that- is that I would grade them probably a b- on coloration and a b on growth but I hardly have any polyp extension. For example I have a blue tenius I got from a fellow club...
  9. largo

sump split a seam

well, my 2 month old custom sump split a seam and has a tiny leak at the botton seam as well. We plan to yank it out from under the stand and use a rubbermaid container for the short term. I've never used a rubbermaid is there anything I should know or do. The container I got has a flat...
  10. largo

octopus skimmer question

My nw200 octopus skimmer has been running for about a year and I recently did a gate valve mod on it, about a month ago. For the past few days the air intake hose has started gurgling. Any ideas on making it stop?
  11. largo

loud overflows

I have 2 corner overflows with unadjustable durso pipes made by perfecto. I've never had a problem with noise until a couple of days ago. I was doing a lot of work under the stand and didn't knowingly do anything to the overflows. The only thing I can think of is one of the drain lines runs...
  12. largo

ideas please

I installed a newly built by me skimmer. I messed up and got the filter sock holder (which is glued in) about 1" under the water level. where my drain line hooks onto the pvc going thru the bulkhead a lot of air is coming out. I can't tell if it's actually coming out of the line or being...
  13. largo

design help

I need a little help designing a new skimmer section with a 15 g top off tank attached. Currently I'm using an old 200 wet dry that has been modded for filter socks and is too small for my skimmer. I also currently have a 15g tall under the base used as a qt tank that will be relocated I'm...
  14. largo

calcium reactors

How many of us are running calcium reactors...just curious. For my system it seems it will be much cheaper than adding two part constantly, not to mention better stability!
  15. largo

calc reactor

I"m going to be adding a calcium reactor to my 265 mixed reef. I know some info on them and am getting this one: geo calcium reactors any input,advice, or product reviews would be great - there isn't much in the actual review forum. Thanks
  16. largo

polyp extension

OK I have approx 25 pieces of sps. I'm experiencing a couple of different things and needs some feedback. Great color: so-so polyp extension: green birdsnest purple birdsnest grape ape green slimer not so great color but great polyp extension: pocillipora millipora (ORA raspberry)...
  17. largo

blue spiny lobster info needed

I have someone that is trying to give me a blue spiny lobster that is about 1.5" long. So, I'm sitting here gathering info and came across two site that seem to contradict one another: This site lists them as peacefule, 1-2",reef safe, safe towards other fish/inverts Blue Spiny Lobster...
  18. largo

refillable di media

I'll tell you how I'm setup as a precursor to this question. I had two 100gpd ro/di units and in one I"m running 3 prefilters, and the membrane. That water feeds into the second unit which is just 3 di cartidges. I run 3 mainly because I had the unit and I make lots of water. ANYWAYS I was...
  19. largo

golden toadstool

I have a huge toadstool ORA aquacultured that when people see it are amazed at the overall size and the polyp extention. It was given to be by my LFS they had it in the tank just labeled toadstool but someone recently said they thought it was a golden toadstool. I can't find any info on it...
  20. largo

additives

Just wondering what everyone uses and why they think it's the best? I have a 300g mixed reef and use Oceans Blend two part daily and so far it works for me but I'm wondering what other options are out there? Near me EVERYONE seems to use Oceans BLend..I think a lot of that is just because it's...