Search results

1. J

Just recieved a shipment of florida liverock

great rock..i have bought from TBSW in the past as well and was very happy...make sure the skimmer is working well because you will get some die-off of the sponges and some other stuff.
  2. J

open brain coral split ?

I'm not "saying" anything...just posting what I read in a fairly reputable article. Interestingly, a search on the subject pointed me to this page as well: TrachyReproArt
  3. J

open brain coral split ?

From the 2008 annual Marine Fish and Reef from a story called "Coral Reproduction" "Unlike branching corals, the boulder corals, such as brain corals do not rely on fragmentation as part of their life cycle. While pieces that break off can form new colonies, boulder corals relay on sexual...
  4. J

Siphon style overflow boxes.....

I would highly recommend the LifeReef overflow box...great quality and he guarantees that the box will keep its siphon in the event of a power outtage...I did a number of tests when I was using mine but I have since gone to a BioCube so don't use it anymore but you can't go wrong with the...
  5. J

Adding Sand...after the fact

PVC tube...that is a great idea!...I will be giving that one a try...I'd rather take a long time and not have the dust cloud. Could I also "rinse" the sand in some RO/DI refill water that I use for the tank?..would that also help (no doubt it wouldn't go down a PVC tube very well then...lol)
  6. J

"Tanks" for the replies
  7. J

I have had my BioCube 29 running for a good 6 months...I consolidated it down from my 40 breeder tank (don't ask why) which had been established for a good 6 months before that. I have probably around 50lbs of live rock. I have an CPR Aquatics SR3 that is running wonderfully since i installed it...
  8. J

Biocube modifications

An interesting note about the biobale removal...I had been complaining about some extra noise ever since I installed my SR3, loud almost gurgling sound...when I took it out the extra noise went away :) yea! I have my SR3 running smoothly now and it is 1000X better than that junky skimmer that...
  9. J

Biocube modifications

I currently use the standard BioCube hood but want to do SPS in the future so am considering a SunPod or Nova Extreme Pro. I just don't like all the evaporation refilling that you have to do with a topless tank but oh well...any thoughts on the hood modification kits for MH lights that are...
  10. J

Biocube modifications

I've had my SR3 in for almost 48 hours now and the microbubbles have disappeared. I did turn the skimmer around so the biobale side is closest to chamber 1 now (which I will be removing tonight when I get home...my tank is well established with live rock so removing the biobale shouldn't hurt...
  11. J

Biocube modifications

Thanks for the info...just received my SR3 today and am installing it now. I don't have the water level high as you have suggested yet and am noticing a lot of microbubbles getting back into the tank. I wonder if increasing the water level will eliminate this? Also, has there been any...
  12. J

Biocube modifications

Hey ZAPCOnj...I have a question about raising the water level in your 2nd and 3rd chambers...have you tested in case of a power outtage and the water backs up into these chambers? I am ordering an SR3 and will be doing my own test to make sure I can't have a flood by filling these chambers too...
  13. J

Green Mantis Shrimp Sighting - How do I capture?

Beelzebob...thanks for that post with all the information. My son and I just finish watching the video presentation by that lady...my son is absolutely now fascinated by the fact we have one of these amazing creatures living in our tank. Am trying a homemade trap with a piece of shrimp...
  14. J

I would never kill it...these are amazing creatures...he's going downstairs in my sump/fuge...I have about 12Hx12Wx10D area baffled off in a 20 gallon aquarium I turned into a fuge...it has 3 inches of live sand and a few rocks and chaeto now...as soon as I catch him, he's going down there :)
  15. J

Yeah, they are both cool and a big pain in the butt...you seem to want them in your DT though...what other inhabitants do you have in your DT?...they seem to co-exist together okay? My biggest problem is that the rock(s) I have seen him around are on the bottom and moving stuff around is going...
  16. J

OK...so I got some amazing live rock from TBSW a week ago...I'm still finding the most amazing life on it and just yesterday unfortunately found out that I have a green mantis shrimp...amazing creature but I don't want it in my tank long term obviously. I have a sump/fuge below my DT that I...
  17. J

Aqua Remora C - Big Piece of Crap

I followed the instruction sheet they provide to the "T"...I have the MJ 1200 pump that is provided...had the O-ring halfway (which I thought might be safe to start with...stupid me to assume that) and now it is as high as it can go with the drain adapter fitting I had added to mine (an option...
  18. J

Mine came standard with the MJ 1200...the pump fits right onto the tubing from the skimmer for the MJ...I believe the other pump they use (Rio?) requires an adapter but not the MJ. I have definately contacted them
  19. J

I started with the collection cup setting halfway up with the O-ring...if this product has the possibility of sucking PURE WATER into its collection cup and overflowing like this THEY SHOULD STATE THAT IN THE INSTRUCTIONS...don't you think? and why do they even have a setting that could do this...
  20. J

I just bought an Aqua Remora C to hang on to my sump/fuge in the bottom of my "WOOD" stand and twice in the last 24 hours at some point the skimmer decides it wants to suck pure water into its collection cup and overflow. I even have the overflow connection option and have it running into a...