Search results

1. leahski

strange worm captured - need ID

hey, so i don't have a picture of this guy, but i'll describe him. it's definitely not a bristle worm. - it's dark brownish red in color - definitely segmented - about 1/2 cm in width, about 4-5 cm long it has a small protruded section of the head, but no visible head bristles or...
  2. leahski

is this an anenome? if so, what kind??

this little guy came in on my yellow polyp rock. i realized it was there as i was reaquascaping and when i was finished it was on the back of the rock. in the morning it had moved to the front side of the rock, which makes me think it's an anenome. i don't think yumas can move that quickly... i...
  3. leahski

New livestock for a nano...help?

Hokay, so. I am building a reef. and i would love for fish to inhabit this reef. because bad things happen when shrimps and snails are the top predators in an ecosystem. apparently. anyways, i have narrowed down my choices to two. However, i am more than open to suggestions. this is why...
  4. leahski

Jewel Anenomes??

hey RS, just wondering if anyone had heard of "jewel anenomes"? (Corynactis viridis) they seem to be about the size of zoas and are absolutely gorgeous. can you tell i would love to own a rockful? so if there are any jewel anenome gurus out there my questions are thus: 1. are these cold...
  5. leahski

biocube fans

the stock fans on my biocube have gotten really really noisy lately, especially for about the first hour that they are on. has anyone else experienced this? do they just need to be cleaned? or is there something else going on? are the stock fans just not up to par? before this i've noticed...
  6. leahski

why let water sit?

okay, so i've always heard that you need to let mixed water sit with a powerhead and heater for at least 24h before you use it, and i've always done it, but i have no clue why! what does it do? other than of course make sure that its at the right temp. can anyone explain this to me? Thanks!
  7. leahski

live foods?

i'm wondering whether shrimp (specifically sexy shrimp) can/do eat live foods? i know they go around scavenging and they eat meaty bits of seafood, but will they/do they actually catch living organisms and eat them? or are they strictly scavengers? has anyone tried feeding shrimp with live...
  8. leahski

dosing question for new corals

two weeks ago i added a couple zoa frags, a gsp, yellow polyps and a paly to my tank, and just this week added a new rhodactis mushroom. i know that they are all photosynthetic, but i was reading and it says that for long term health, trace elements should be added and to supplement their...
  9. leahski

What test kit do you use?

i think it's time for me to get a new test kit. i started with a mini master test kit, which confused me to no end, then switched to dip tests which are easy but i've heard not as accurate. i'm running low on strips so i'm deciding what to replace them with... what do you use? or if you're...
  10. leahski

something's wacky with my paly...

is this normal? it has been like this since last night. all of my zoas and my gsp seem happy. my yellow polyps are weird though. one polyp of them seems to be shrinking or something...the tentacles i mean. three of the tentacles on one side are like almost completely retracted and dark. but...
  11. leahski

shrimp bioload?

I really want sexy shrimp. i think they are adorable. but i realize i don't know much about them. do they act as part of a clean up crew? like do they eat algae, detrius, dead organic matter, parasites, etc? or do i have to feed them regularly? do they count as bioload? also, would they get...
  12. leahski

aptasia treatment question

i just got several new litte zoa frags and they all look healthy and great, except for one of the rocks has three aptasia anems on it. is there a way to treat just this rock? can i like soak it in something? i'd rather not kill the zoas on the rock, just the nems. also, how do they spread...
  13. leahski

Why are flatworms so bad?

reading different people talk about flatworms has made me kind of inately afraid of them. but i realized i don't even know why they are so bad? i've read that one species eats acropora or something like that, but in an all softie tank, are they that much of a threat? and how many do you have to...
  14. leahski

icky worms! no!

i found worms. flatworms from what i can tell. on my glass. yuck. at first i found just one or two and tried to remove them to be able to see them better, but ended up just squishing them. so then when i found another i'd just squish it. this method does not seem to be working. today i found...
  15. leahski

restoration extravaganza!

hi! so i have recently been informed that i will be able to basically take control of my science department's saltwater aquarium. an aquarium company in town takes care of waterchanges/chemistry, but i will be able to play with it and make it pretty! it's basically been run as a fish only...
  16. leahski

Superglued rockwork

alright, so i've got my rockwork the way i like it and it's mostly stable. i mean, if you touch it it won't fall over and the current from my powerhead won't topple it, but it has happened that i've given it a more forceful accidental tap while cleaning and then it shifts a little and of course...
  17. leahski

HELP! evil peppermint shrimp!

i had a peppermint shrimp as part of my CUC, but he died a little while ago so today i got a new one, pepperoncini. he's really cool and active and bold, he walks all over my tank, unlike my last one. but i was watching him and he walked right up to my baby mushroom and started chowing down in...
  18. leahski

Ambient light?

alright, i'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not... does abmient light in the room (desk lamps, over head light, etc.) affect a tank? i live in a college dorm and lets face it, lights in the room do not go out at 10 like my daylights and usually not even by 1, when my actinics go off...
  19. leahski

In-stand sump/refugium for a biocube 8?

so, i have this old glass tank that isn't doing anything right now and i wondered how hard it would be to set it up under a stand for a sump/refugium? the added water volume would keep the tank alot more stable i imagine, which would be nice. i'm planning on turning chamber 2 into a refugium...
  20. leahski

corals for a nano?

hey, i just started an 8g nano tank. and by just i mean its a day old, so obviously i won't be putting anything into it for a little bit, but are there some corals that are more suited to smaller tanks? or some that i completely need to steer away from? i'm completely new at this. it's my...