Reefer Addict's Reef

Gina

RS STAFF
Ok, now I know for sure I have to have a cube! You have done a fabulous job and you have something to be very proud of!

wooddood

the wood dude
looks totally awesome dave you out did yourself bud. were all very proud of your reef as im sure you are. it looks sweet bud.karma to you.

strat

well ive been following it from the begginning , i luvvit. great job man. this is like the climax finally here, ahhh.. well, its just gonna get better from here lol. what to say, its awesome.. thanks for sharing..

strat

SeaHag

I was wondering when you were going to give Sandi some of the credit. I personally know that she works just as hard as you do. Thank you for mentioning her... :D

Now that everything is in place, will you still post some pics later when the water clears for all to see? :bigbounce

Great job!

addict

Well, today's the even 'more fun' day... now I get to clean up the mess... :D

Thanks again to everyone for your support...

wooddood: I'll talk with Johnny tonight and figure out how he wants his stand... I'll be PM'ing you with the info (or i'll have him do it) once we get it figured out.

On a somber note, my copperband butterfly passed away last night. I was going to begin treatment today, but it appears that it couldn't handle the stress of the changeover in it's condition... :(

It also appears that the fan I am using has developed a rattle from running on it's side, so I'm going to have to replace it... it was used previous to this project, so it was probably pretty 'loose' when I put it in... sitting on it's side just accelerated the problem.
It's also pretty loud, compared to the nearly silent tank... when the fan is off all you can hear is the slight gurgle of the durso, then the fan kicks on and ruins it. :D

I think I'm going to cut the back out and retrofit two 4" axial computer fans in it. I'll post pix of that project as well once I get around to it... first I gotta get the mess cleaned up from the first time around. :)

Anyway, here's a picture of the copperband... was a great little fish.

Attachments

• copperband.jpg
    copperband.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Tarasco

Bummer about the copperband. Moves and changeovers are always tough for fish to deal with. Have fun messing with your fan.

maffu

If you ever need a hand reefscaping thats a heck of a canvas to work upon....got long arms... will travel!

I am really impressed by the look of it... makes me wonder why I didnt buy the cube I was thinking of!

Fabulous looking set up from top to tail... You should be rightly proud of what you have acheived... RIP the copperband but I hope everyone else settles into their prime new real estate!

You've made me want to move house and get a bigger tank now!!!! shhhh... dont tell the mrs... or I will be in it big time!

EdgeKrusher

Sorry to hear about the loss of your CBB. :(
The tank looks amazing, you've done an excellent job Dave. I hope you're proud of this accomplishment.

Bill

wooddood

the wood dude
dave sorry to hear about the copperband i had one too a while back and lost him too so i know how you feel.looking forward to the to the pm.have a good one.

Gina

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear of your copperband! It amazes me how attached we can become to our fish.

addict

Thank you all for your support... the thing I miss the most about it is his puppy-dog antics when I'm getting ready to feed the tank. :(

He was my main water-column fish too... now the tank looks bare, since all my other fish are either cave dwellers or sitters.

So... we're eyeballing an orchid dottyback and possibly a school of firefish... we'll just have to see what the LFS has in stock (the new stuff comes in Tuesday evenings).

I'll report back later on any new stuff we get. :)

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey Dave! Sorry to hear of the copperband. I really hated taking my back to the LFS but just before I tore down my tank I noticed it was picking some on the clam so he went back with the other fish.

Yeah hopefully I will catch you in chat to discuss plans on the stand. :)

Maxx

Dave,
sorry to hear about your CBB.
The tank looks AWESOME!!! Definately A+ material there! Your hard work shows. What kind of anemones are those? BTA's?
Nick

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Great aquascaping :) Man that acrylic looks really thick I don't think your gonna have problems with any leaks;)

addict

Mebigloser: Yeah... it made it through 6 weeks of having the ailment and then died the night before treatment was going to begin... :(

Johnny: I hear ya there... my wife has always wanted some coco worms/feather dusters, but we couldn't keep them because of the copperband... I caught hell for that. :)
At least now that option is available again... of course the nice coco worm we saw at the LFS was already sold... :(

Maxx: Thanks... a few times over. :D
Those are Singapore BTA's... kind of a lesser rose variety (at least from what I've been told). Funny thing is they have never had bubble tips in my old aquarium. :confused:
They're already staying flatter to the rock and more 'puffy' in the new tank (occassional 'gusts' of 2500gph current will tend to do that), but I still have yet to see them inflate their tips... maybe I'll call the pet psychic with this one. :D
Hopefully it was just the combination of conditions in my old tank, and they'll show 'proper' behavior in the new one.

cheeks69: Thank you. :)
Yeah, this stuff is really thick... it looks like the sandbed is levitating off the top of the stand when you catch it at the right angle. I'm really stoked with this tank... James at EA did a fantastic job on it... :clink:
The nicest thing about the thickness is there's no fisheye effect... each pane is almost perfectly flat. I'm sure there's 'some' distortion (I haven't tried to measure it), but I'd estimate that it's less than 1/16"... that's one thing that annoys me about some acrylic aquariums where they used thinner material... you can never seem to gain 'focus' and it bugs your eyes out.

Well... we got some neat stuff at the LFS this evening... an orchid dottyback, a 'true' rose bta, and a hi-fin banded goby/tiger pistol combo.
The true rose bta is simply amazing... if this species reproduces anywhere near the rate of my current BTA's I'll be a happy guy. :D
Everything's still acclimating, so I don't have any pix yet... I'll snap those tomorrow probably.

Last edited:

semigodd154

excuse me but it has now been 23hrs and 45 minutes since you last post and i for one am dying for some pics of the new livestock. LOL BTW I dont mean to sound pushy its just the tank is beautiful and everyone else is waiting to we went to long following this thread to be put on hold. LOL Anyway you really have done a masterful job with the new setup and i hope grows well for you lots of luck.

Shaun