HELP! In need of some marine education :)

Kelly1023

Hello everyone! :)

I have never joined a forum like this before. I am honestly a bit embarrassed to put my utter lack of knowledge on display. I have had a freshwater aquarium for years and I have toyed with the idea of a saltwater tank for quite a while.
I currently have a 36-gallon aquarium. I have about 27 lbs of live rock in it. It has been running for about 3 weeks. I am running a penguin 200 biofilter, a powerhead on a low setting, and a heater. The temperature is steady at 80 degrees. I am using the light included with the aquarium and I know I need much better lighting. I have ordered 2 more led lamps one daylight and the other is called color max. I currently have Carib Sea Arag Alive substrate (20 lbs). I am thinking about adding live sand as well but I don't know what kind.

I have an API saltwater master test kit and my readings are as follows:
7.9 Ph
4ppm Ammonia
Trites and Trates 0ppm
Specific gravity 1.023

I had some hitchhikers on a few of my live rocks (bristle worms and some tiny little things that look like shrimp). When I researched it I read a lot about how good they were for the tank. I was wondering if or when I should introduce some more little organisms (pods and phytos?) and maybe one of the 'cleaner crew' packs you can purchase. I really want to make sure all my tank inhabitants are healthy and happy. For the cleaner pack, I was considering hermit crabs, snails, and a brittle sea star maybe...
Any thoughts, ideas, or advice are welcome and greatly appreciated.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! Once your tank is "cycled" you can add your cuc (clean up crew) I like snails... I would wait on the star... until you tank is 6 months old... or he may starve... sounds like you have some pods... which is good (your tiny little things that look like shrimp) I guess... I don't think you would need to add any "live sand" your Carib Sea Arag Alive substrate will be just fine...

We love pics...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cycled Tank:

start testing and watching... the Ammonia will raise then drop, followed by the Nitrites raising and then dropping, then the Nitrates will soar - once the ammonia & nitrites are gone, then do water changes to reduce nitrates.
Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate
Tank Cycled

CyclingGraph.gif

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Once cycled you can add your cuc, 1st fish or pair and 1st coral - then wait a month before adding your next fish... you could add another coral in a couple weeks...

Kelly1023

Should I be worried about the bristle worms? or add more of the pods? I think I probably need a couple more pounds of live rock. Is 1lb per gallon right?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
yes about 1 per gallon is about right... some say 1 to 1 & 1/2 - I used 1 lb I like a more open look, depends some on how porous the rock is... the more porous the better...

bristle worms are good members of the cuc, can get back in the rock and eat debris, think of them like earthworms of the sea,,, :) if you have to many, just feed less... wait on adding any more pods... until the tank cycles...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
start a tank thread and post us some pics... we Love all pics, even tanks just starting up with just LR (live rock)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
and feel free to ask any questions you have... RS is special of all sw forums, flame free, just lots of great members willing to help ! and we all had the same questions... at some point in our sw journey and some RS member was nice enough to answer... all of our questions...

Kelly1023

and feel free to ask any questions you have... RS is special of all sw forums, flame free, just lots of great members willing to help ! and we all had the same questions... at some point in our sw journey and some RS member was nice enough to answer... all of our questions...

I'm not sure how to reply to a specific comment so if this looks crazy I apologize. I have had my tank cycling with just live rock in it. It has been over a month and my ammonia level is still very high (around 8ppm). Our ammonia level was high when we added the live rock and the tiny little shrimp things and the bristle worms came out of the rocks. (The guy we bought the rocks from had them in a curing tank and it smelled fine) After adding the live rock the ammonia went way up and hasn't come back down. We have been adding the live bacteria supplement to the tank but nothing seems to be helping. There is quite a bit of purple growth on the rocks and a gray place on one of the rocks that we were told is a sponge. I am just wondering if all the little creatures that came out of the rocks died and are creating all the ammonia. If this is the case should I do a water change? How big of a water change? Should I vacuum the gravel and/or change the filter? We are feeling kind of stuck and any help would be greatly appreciated.

DaveK

When you see ammonia still high after a month, it's time to really check things out.

First, make sure your test kit is accurate. Test some newly created RO/DI water. This should read 0. If you get a reading here, your test kit is likely bad. I see from your initial post that your using an API master test kit. Consider getting another brand, such as Seachem or Sailfret. Also consider getting different nitrite and nitrate test kits, since by this time you should see some nitrate readings.

Second, look for anything dead in the tank. Live rock sometimes has massive amounts of sponges and other life on it. If that all dies, it can take quite awhile to for ammonia to drop to 0. You may need to remove each rock examine it, and use a small brush to remove any dead sponges on the rock. Do this is SW that you will discard when done. The gray your seeing on the rocks could be the problem. You'll know it from the smell if it's dead.

I would discontinue adding any bacteria cultures and any other stuff similar. It's possible this is part of the problem.

You also may have some dead material in the sandbed. Usually this isn't the source of the problem, but it might be worth vacuuming the sandbed. Only go about one inch deep.

Generally, on an initial tank setup, you should not make water changes until the ammonia and nitrite drop to 0.

Above all, give things time and don't panic. It can tank some time for a tank to complete it's initial cycle.

As a note, a few pictures of your tank setup may help. Try to get a full tank shot and a few closeups of your live rock, and of your filtration system.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
good advise ^

+1 - I would discontinue adding any bacteria cultures and any other stuff similar. It's possible this is part of the problem.

How many week since adding the LR ? It's die off may have start the cycle... so could be 6-7 weeks since adding LR

Uncle99

For sure something (or things) are dieing fueling the sustained Ammomia.
Just go forward, add nothing now. The beneficial bacteria will catch up and Ammomia will zero out.

Kelly1023

So I have followed the instructions everyone has given me (thank you all so much) At the moment, My Ph is at 8.2, Ammonia is at 0ppm, trites are at 0ppm, and trates are at 20ppm. I am really happy with my numbers right now but I am kind of at a loss as to what needs to be done next. My coralline algae is doing great. I just want to make sure that I follow the right steps from here. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Use a magnifying glass to look closely at the sand and rock if you see life than let it live that is part of your cleanup crew and may be food for one or two fish I have isopod and amphipods also snails,asterina starfish and two types of small brittlestars one type is a bit larger than the other I never test my water I like to use my eyes i am not a robot or scientist PS forgot feather dusters, bristle works and sponges!

Attachments

• 41A26804-8286-4CEF-B848-E1EA231F7454.jpeg
    41A26804-8286-4CEF-B848-E1EA231F7454.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Uncle99

Beware of crabs, any, all, difficult to remove and will eat anything they can catch.

Nassurius snails for sand, Mexican for Red/Brown, Ninja Astrea for Green.

CUC will assist, but do not rely on them to keep the place clean, rely on keeping nutrients low, N 2-5ppm ( this will take a bit of time in the new tank) and P 0.03-0.07.

Excellent on point water, always, consistent and stable.