HELP! What is this??

Tjmc

Hi All

This may be an obvious question but can anyone identify the small blue globular growths in the attached photo's.
reef2.JPG
reef1.JPG
Thanks

Tjmc

Thanks Nobbygas. It is in a setup I am looking to purchase. It seems like a pretty good deal though...Should I avoid or will Vibrant do the trick.

Nobbygas

First off, have a little Google for Vibrant. I think it will do the trick.
As for Photobucket, they have now started to charge money to host on their site. It's not free anymore.

Tjmc

GIFY (Google it for yourself) - will do...
Noticed Photobucket are now charging. Thought there may be a hack...
Thanks again

Pat24601

I agree that looks like bubble algae, but what’s throwing me is it’s blue. I had green bubble algae that looked like that.

If it’s the same thing as green bubble algae, it’s a pain. Green bubble algae does well in good water conditions, so it’s hard to starve it out.

I did finally get rid of mine, but I have no idea how. I did big water changes, seachem phosnet, manual removal with tweezers, emerald crabs, and probably other stuff.

I’m not sure if any of that helped, all of it helped, or none of it helped, but eventually it wasn’t in my tank anymore.

If it’s bubble algae, get used to dealing with it for a bit as it doesn’t go away quickly or easily. At least, it didn’t for me.

Conversely, it’s not that bad of a problem. It’s not really unsightly per se. Except for the possibility that it will tank over the tank, it doesn’t really matter that much.

DaveK

It sure looks like bubble algae to me. I thnk it looks blue due to the lighting.

Getting rid of it is sure possible, and since you'll need to move the tank and set it up again, that would be a good time to work on removing it and controlling it.

On Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner - I don't know how well it would work. I've never tried it. I do tend to be very much a skeptic about any algae control products. I do see some red flags here. Claims of it being a whole new way to control algae, and claims to control all kinds of difficult algaes, just seem too good to be true. You could try it though and see how it works.

Adding a foxface or emerald crabs might work, sometimes they eat bubble algae, but they often don't. You can't depend on this to work, so only add them if you like them for other reasons.

cracker

How much rock is involved? Can You replace it? That bubble is seriously tough ! I cured old rock in a darken barrel (cooking) for 11 months & it still came back. Took a year but still came back!

cracker

could spot scrub it with some diluted to full strength peroxide. that would put a hurt on it but will also kill the coraline & stuff underneath . I see there are corals there also making the job even more complicated.

Uncle99

Agree with others, bubble PITA, resilient to the core, looks big and lots.
It will multiply faster than can be consumed. Start over, nuke the rock with hydrogen peroxide and water at 50% for 15 minutes, then in a bucket dark with flow for a month....maybe add new rock to start your cycle, then add these back once bubbles gone.