Hot Protein Skimmer?

MaxC-130

Hi.
I have a third-hand RSM C-130 - two weeks into making it reef-ready.:tumbleweed:
The cooling fans are missing and the temperature regularly reaches 28•C (I have ordered some from USA via eBay) - the heater is off, by the way.
I am currently cycling and read some advice that the skimmer be turned off during this process.
Since I have done this, the temperature has remained at a steady 25•C - has anybody else noticed that their skimmer generates heat to the extent that a heater is not required or should I be concerned?:baghead:

Pat24601

Hi.
I have a third-hand RSM C-130 - two weeks into making it reef-ready.:tumbleweed:
The cooling fans are missing and the temperature regularly reaches 28•C (I have ordered some from USA via eBay) - the heater is off, by the way.
I am currently cycling and read some advice that the skimmer be turned off during this process.
Since I have done this, the temperature has remained at a steady 25•C - has anybody else noticed that their skimmer generates heat to the extent that a heater is not required or should I be concerned?:baghead:

The skimmer generates a lot of heat. That doesn't sound unusual to me at all.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
the pumps generate the heat...

Here a good read if interested...

http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html

small extract...

Note that the temperature of the richest coral reef areas is generally in excess of 27 ° C (80.6 ° F)
Coral reefs in the Caribbean have been historically found near Belize, and in these areas average monthly temperatures are generally above 84.1 ° F (29 ° C),

Uncle99

Yup, skimmer motor, or all motors in the water like wave makers and power heads contribute and may overtake the heater itself.